Mushroom?? Good for tomorrow's breakfast (1 Viewer)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Would this mushroom? be good for my breakfast tomorrow or will it cause me a problem? I've got the sausages, eggs and beans ready!!!

IMG_20170615_195617.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looks fine to me but cut a bit off the bottom of the stem and see if it turns yellow. If it does it is a Yellow Stainer and not recommended. Not fatal, but can cause the cassette to be filled more often than expected.
Also give it a sniff - if it smells like you expect a mushroom to smells like that's a good sign.
Is the top like a normal supermarket mushroom? Waxy and shiny would not be a good sign. Finally, where was it growing? If a field or on sand dunes then good, if under a hedge or in a wood potentially not good.
You will be fine eating it I'm sure.
(legal disclaimer entered here)

:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
look like a field mushroom
if you eat it
and we contact you tomorrow afternoon
and don't get a reply

It wasn't

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I used to love to go picking field mushrooms with my wife in Wales early mornings on holiday.

Then one day she saw one growing out of a cow pat.

Now she won't eat them:(

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Would this mushroom? be good for my breakfast tomorrow or will it cause me a problem? I've got the sausages, eggs and beans ready!!!

View attachment 168789
Don't risk it £1 a packet brown mushrooms in our local supermarket!!( but you would have known that if you had come to Sheffield!!!;))

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I absolutely love mushrooms and would love to know more about them to be able to eat the good ones..... see lots about and think better not....:censored:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Give one to Martin for breakfast and if it doesn't kill him you could have a nice omelette for lunch
Judith why the Mushroom on toast, whats up with the Cocoa and Digestive. I am sure I will go to bed with indigestion.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Funny you should post this.
I was out walking the dog on Cleeve Hill today and came across some mushrooms about that size.
Didn't pick them as didn't have a bag to put them in and it was around 2 miles back :rolleyes:

@DBK thanks for the info i must try to remember it as a general rule (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Funny you should post this.
I was out walking the dog on Cleeve Hill today and came across some mushrooms about that size.
Didn't pick them as didn't have a bag to put them in and it was around 2 miles back :rolleyes:

@DBK thanks for the info i must try to remember it as a general rule (y)
I should qualify my comment about "waxy and shiny" tops. It referred to white coloured mushrooms as there are several edible fungi with shiny tops of different colours, such as the ceps, which are brown and delicious. I was trying to highlight things like this, the Death Cap, where the clue to its edibility is in the name. :(

Amanita_phalloides(fs-02).jpg

I'm no expert and won't eat any fungi unless I've 100% identified it.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Field mushroom.
We have them grow on our grass. Very tasty.

20170605_201044.jpg

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I should qualify my comment about "waxy and shiny" tops. It referred to white coloured mushrooms as there are several edible fungi with shiny tops of different colours, such as the ceps, which are brown and delicious. I was trying to highlight things like this, the Death Cap, where the clue to its edibility is in the name. :(

View attachment 168822

I'm no expert and won't eat any fungi unless I've 100% identified it.

I would only pick and eat anything that looked like the OP i.e. brown underneath and "smells" correct.
I wouldn't touch any type of fungi (y) or even a funguy :D come to that.

Reactions: DBK

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think it will be Magic :doh:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I watched a good program in mushrooms just yesterday that I had recorded.very interesting. I now know lots of things about mushrooms,still wouldn't eat any I'd picked wild though. I used to a lot when the kids were young. I didn't know any different. Good job I and the kids are still alive.
A lady from the isle of wight died a few years back after eating the wrong kind of mushroom so nowadays I don't take the chance and they are so cheap in the supermarket anyway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I won't eat any mushrooms I didn't pick myself....and when I say pick I mean pick off a supermarket shelf.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back