Munich to Amsterdam in ten days in April (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Hi All

My OH and I are planning to hire a Motorhome for ten days in April of this year to travel from Munich to Amsterdam.

We emigrated from the UK to Australia in 2004 so I would like to visit Prague, as Eastern Europe is a lot more accessible now than it was when we used to have European driving holidays! My husband is a home brewer and a bit of a beer connoisseur (so he tells me!) and I like wine, don't mind a few cities and a bit of history, but like to take the scenic route where possible: Living in Australia, we've been a little starved of anything manmade older than about 150 yrs, so wouldn't mind seeing a few castles along the way!

My provisional itinerary is:

Day 1: Munich to Linz - approx 3.5 hrs driving - o/n somewhere around there (any suggestions of a nice spot by the river?)

Day 2: Linz to Prague - approx 4.5 hrs driving - o/n somewhere near there with public transport access to the city to explore

Day 3: second o/n in Prague

Day 4: Prague to Bamberg (OH seems to think this is a beer mecca!) - 4.5hrs driving - o/n Bamberg

Day 5: second o/n Bamberg (any suggestions of the best Breweries to visit? Do any of them allow you to camp overnight in the grounds of the brewery?)

Day 6: Bamberg to Oberwesel am Rhein - 3 hrs driving - o/n Oberwesel (any suggestions of nice wineries to visit in the area, or again, maybe a winery that allows on-site overnight camping?)

Day 7: Oberwesel to Aachen via Koblenz along the Rhine - approx 3.5 hrs driving - o/n Aachen or in the National Park near there.

Day 8: Aachen to Amsterdam - 2.75 hrs driving - o/n Amsterdam

Day 9: second o/n Amsterdam

Day 10. Give Motorhome back at Amsterdam airport.

Does that look doable? Is there anywhere along the route that people can recommend for overnight stops (ideally Stellplaetze, although we don't mind a couple of stays in proper campsites)? Anything on the 'definitely don't miss this' list? Also I've got approximate driving times from my good friend Google, who may or may not be totally accurate....

All recommendations and advice gratefully received. We have a caravan here in Aus (European Van - a Bailey) so are used to spending 3 or 4 hours driving to get somewhere, but obviously on the days where we are sampling beers and wines, we won't be driving until the following day!!

Do most stellplaetze have water available? Do some have power? Do some have showers and loos, or would we need a 'proper' campsite for that sort of thing? I've downloaded an app called Camper Contact and will try and download as many maps to that which I can use offline that my limited phone memory will allow... Would you recommend I buy a print copy guidebook (Bordatlas?) as well as the app?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!
Diane

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We are going from Amsterdam to Slovenia in Apriland so far have chosen this campsite in Aachen
http://www.aachen-camping.de/gb/02_infos_tarife.html - the reviews are good but of course we haven't tried it out yet.

You'll need the emission zone sticker for Aachen and other cities in Germany
http://www.aachen.de/DE/stadt_buerg.../umweltzone/translation/GB_green_sticker.html.
There have been a few more posts recently about this as you now need them in many countries

Then on to Rudesheim - don't know where we'll stop there yet.

Mainz is only a few miles down the Rhine from there. Don't know it but it looks interesting.

Have a good trip and let us all know how you get on with your plans.

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
We are going from Amsterdam to Slovenia in Apriland so far have chosen this campsite in Aachen
http://www.aachen-camping.de/gb/02_infos_tarife.html - the reviews are good but of course we haven't tried it out yet.

You'll need the emission zone sticker for Aachen and other cities in Germany
http://www.aachen.de/DE/stadt_buerg.../umweltzone/translation/GB_green_sticker.html.
There have been a few more posts recently about this as you now need them in many countries

Then on to Rudesheim - don't know where we'll stop there yet.

Mainz is only a few miles down the Rhine from there. Don't know it but it looks interesting.

Have a good trip and let us all know how you get on with your plans.

Many thanks - had not heard of an emission zone sticker, so that's extremely helpful - I will go do some more research now and put it on my list of questions for the hire company :)

We may well pass each other going in opposite directions!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you get a chance detour into Alsace in France we have visited most French wine areas Alsace was the most welcoming and very pretty with lots of wine related things to do. We visited several vineyards had a walk through the vines with a talk on production etc then dinner on a hill surrounded by vines with the producer and spent the night in the motorhome in his yard,a talk and tasting on biodynamic wime a tasting of gewurtstaminer of different terroirs etc.

Enjoy the trip

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just to add a bit of interest to your trip.

It is possible to go from the Black Sea to Amsterdam by canal boat.

Along the Danube from the Black Sea as far as Kelheim (near Regensburg). Linz is on the Danube.
From Kelheim to Bamberg on the Rhine-Main-Donau canal.
From Bamberg along the river Main, to Mainz where it meets the Rhine.
From Mainz to Rotterdam along the Rhine (called the Waal in Netherlands)
Choice of a dozen canals from Rotterdam to Amsterdam.

Your plan includes towns on the Danube and Rhine, and Bamberg is the start of the interconnecting canal.

Another place on your pilgrimage might be Pilsen, where the brewing of pils beer was invented - it may be on your route or not far off it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
In view of your wish to visit Prague and Beer interest then you would be better going Munich to Prague via Pilsen , http://www.plzenskepodzemi.cz/en
gives you the Pilsen Beer link . It is also a better travel than your Linz route . Heading back Same way , and then Bayreuth good Stellplatze Near Therm Baths (wagner Opera House Schloss etc etc ) Short drive to Bamberg https://www.europeanbeerguide.net/bambbrew.htm Hope thats of some help
Not really up on the wineries , but am sure someone can help out in that area .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back