Munich - another european first timer ! (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
We are taking our daughter to Munich mid July (she is starting a new job there)
Can anyone recommend a site in Munich? I am also concerned about driving into Munich as I understand our MH (2003 2.8 Fiat Ducato) is not allowed? Can anyone advise?
Many thanks

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Munich has one of the best public transport systems in the world.
Look here for the network maps Broken Link Removed
Also look at the park and ride they are just free parking spaces near to S-Bahn (train) stations.

A "partner tagescarte" (group day ticket) will let upto 5 adults travel all day. Broken Link Removed
Remember the ticket covers S-bahn, U-bahn (underground) trans and busses. I don't know about campsites, sorry.

Gordon

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for that it looks like the ticket will be rally useful:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I travelled on the train in and out of Munich a few years ago. It was pretty painless. IIRC there was a zoning system a bit like the London Underground and you bought tickets appropriately. I seem to recall the tickets came in a strip and you had to feed them into something at some point (this was a very long time ago). There were no conductors as such, it worked on honesty but they did have plain clothes inspectors who would suddenly appear and check everyone's tickets.

A very prosperous city. I remember looking at some very expensive watches in a area where there were several shops selling such things.

There was a pub called the Beer Museum which we haunted plus we also went to a few beer kellars. Interesting places, very traditional, as are most of the people who live in that area.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We were in Munich last September (hotel) before Oktoberfest) and not only does the whole city infrastructure work but it is logically simple and very well priced. The atmosphere is relaxed and good humoured and enough simple pleasures like the large city centre gardens to allow you to keep the costs down if you wish.

Did a few tourist things in our very short visit and for us the highlights were the complete city bus tour (hop on hop off), a couple of large open air bier gardens in lovely weather, and maybe the best was the river surfing in the Englischer Garten

Broken Link Removed

The tourist part I wish we had had time for and very highly recommended is the BMW museum, from the tour bus even the BMW buildings are worth seeing from the outside.

We stayed in Munich about 12 years ago at a camp site I'd guess is outside the zone to the north or north west. Can't remember the name but as we are travelling the Deutsche Alpenstrasse this September will make a stop over at the same site when Rosie looks out her old diaries. The site was close to public transport and had everything a MH needs, let me know if you want us to look that out in the next day or so.

Enjoy yourself, it's the city voted the one most Germans would like to live.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We stopped off at Munich on the way to and back from Slovina last summer, there is a great Aire at Byern Munich's ground. It has hook up and water and there's a train station that takes you to the city center in 15 minutes. Here's a pic of us parked up at the Allianz arena.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 14

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Forgot to mention I think it was about €15 a night and that included water and hook up.

Also this is a few miles outside the city so no worry about your van being compliant.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We stayed at the Munich stadium a couple of weeks ago. Have the same picture too. Still 15 euros per night. Unfortunately the u ban is not running from the stellplatz, you have to walk to the other side of the stadium. Not too far though.

Lin

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Just a word of caution about the stadium, we were there in August and didnt realise at the time there were a lot of mossies, our son got about 30 bites during the stay so may need some mossie repellent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back