Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
A Fluke multimeter would be a bit of an overkill.
Handy for someone with several uses for it.
Just for the motorhome the simpler ones mentioned are great for us.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Also, my latest model has a strong magnet on the strap. Really useful for:

1) hanging from whatever metal object your working on so your hands can be freed for holding the probes.

2) Latching onto all the small parts of your socket set and emptying boxes of screws all over the floor.
Our latest batch of flukes at work have came with the magnetic strap that is very handy as you say

Unfortunately, it will stick itself to every metallic tool in my drawer, so when I get it out to use half of my drawer comes with it, and out on plant I've even managed to stick it metal work like girders and panels as I've walked past, leaving my meter hanging! šŸ˜‚

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Fluke 117 is great but the T90 may give you all you need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Meters used to be part of my trade tools, and I have a selection. I keep a uni-t clamp meter in my van and a basic no name multimeter in my tool bag. The cheap one is my go to meter when working on vans though, as from experience they are perfectly adequate for the job, and not much of a loss if it gets wet etc

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Meters used to be part of my trade tools, and I have a selection. I keep a uni-t clamp meter in my van and a basic no name multimeter in my tool bag. The cheap one is my go to meter when working on vans though, as from experience they are perfectly adequate for the job, and not much of a loss if it gets wet etc
Heā€™s right but, the question was..
Can anyone suggest a good quality multimeter to add to my tool kit.
Many thanks
so For a Tool kit not the van Iā€™d go Fluke T90 for general use as a home tester

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Another vote for the Uni-t meter. Very easy to check current, using the clamp feature.
Amazon product ASIN B07CNGJXFJ
Ditto, on the recommendation of Lenny HB.

It was an essential piece of kit for testing DC amps before, and after fitting a Battery to Battery charger. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I replaced a basic voltmeter with one of these as I wanted to measure amps without disconnecting cables, very happy with it but be careful to get one that is AC/DC as a lot are AC only.
I'm sure the UT-204A is a good meter. The clamp means it's very much easier to measure Amps than a standard multimeter. But I'd still recommend the UT-210E for a general meter.

The lowest Amps range on the UT-204A is 40A, but on the UT-210E it's 2A. Much better for tracing those small currents draining the battery in a week. The 100A maximum Amps is not much of a limitation. How many people need to measure more than 100 Amps?

However, any clamp meter is preferable to a standard multimeter. With a standard meter you end up measuring volts and trying to work out what the amps is. For charging batteries, checking if the pump works, etc. A clamp meter makes all those measurements easier because it measures the amps directly.

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
But the cost of calibration is 10 times the cost of a basic multimeter and the accuracy of the cheap ones are so good these days.
All my test equipment is calibrated at work so doesnā€™t cost me anything to be fair, but yes, I imagine itā€™d cost a bit to be fair.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Our latest batch of flukes at work have came with the magnetic strap that is very handy as you say

Unfortunately, it will stick itself to every metallic tool in my drawer, so when I get it out to use half of my drawer comes with it, and out on plant I've even managed to stick it metal work like girders and panels as I've walked past, leaving my meter hanging! šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve just had a new 376 and that has the magnet which is very handy to be fair.

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Another vote for the Uni-t meter. Very easy to check current, using the clamp feature.
Amazon product ASIN B07CNGJXFJ
So following the advice of far more experienced funsters in these matters than me (many thanks to you all) I have ordered the UT210E from Amazon for the bargain price of Ā£29.99...šŸ‘šŸ»

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I replaced a basic voltmeter with one of these as I wanted to measure amps without disconnecting cables, very happy with it but be careful to get one that is AC/DC as a lot are AC only.

Another happy user of this one---- very good value for money

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Another vote for the uni clamp meter but i would also have a cheap multimeter as well
I have 6 multi meters (not including the clamp meter) i treat them like 5mm allen keys or 10mm spanners if you want one you want it now.
I have 2 with out continuity buzzers but they were Ā£5 the pair from maplins.
I have also found that certain meters can give erroneous readings if the 9v battery is low. I was away with my bongo and the damned thing wouldnt start after refueling, out with the dmm 17V so rip off the solar power cable a bit sharpish gingerly put hand on battery, how hot is it (ok). Eventualy piss about a bit change some 50A fuses and it starts. (fuSES 0k).
Eventualy when home have a proper look and another dvm says 12.6v, so i take 4 dmms to work for callibration . Responce " all ok once i put new batteries in",
Bongo: i stripped battery terminal block and earth connector off and there was my friend hidden corrossion so nice new block and no more starting problems.
Ps the errant meter wasnt a cheap one, still in cal 25 years old.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back