MultiEcuScan detecting diesel Ducato as 'Gasoline'... (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Having changed the radio and removed the 'blue & me' in my 2013 Ducato (2.3L diesel, 130hp, automatic) I now have the 'flashing odometer' and need to tell the vehicle body ECU that these modules no longer exist.

This can be done using Multiecuscan and a suitable OBD cable, and adapter, to connect the computer to the vehicle diagnostic port, and running a "PROXI alignment".

I've purchased the relevant cable, adapter and software. When I access the PROXI alignment feature in the software, it correctly detects the missing radio and blue&me module. However on the screen before I run the alignment, it shows my vehicle as 'Gasoline' with engine 'Type 4/1.3 Mutlijet'.

The vehicle selection I made at the start of the process was 'Fiat Ducato (type 250) Facelift 2.3 Mutlijet' - and it correctly detects my ECU type, etc.

I dont' want to potentially write incorrect information into the ECU - but at the same time I don't want to change/interfere with settings which are not related to what I'm trying to do!

Has anyone else had this issue? Did you "correct" the value or leave it as-is?

What I'm unsure of is:
  • Does this screen 'read' values from the vehicle and show you the current config, or does it load 'default' values based on the vehicle you selected?
  • Does this feature write the entire config as displayed on the screen at that point, or does it only update settings you've changed on the screen prior to running the PROXI alignment?
Was surprised not to see any other posts online about anyone else having the same issue as me - hence I guess it is possible that for some reason my vehicle is configured incorrectly. However I don't want to risk causing new issues so thought I'd check.

Has anyone else with a 2010-2014 ducato used MES and seen this issue? Or is yours detected correctly? Any thoughts on the questions above?

Attachments

• engine.PNG
    engine.PNG
    78.6 KB · Views: 165
  • settings.PNG
    settings.PNG
    50.1 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I've contacted MES directly, and am awaiting a reply, but as there seem to be a few MES users on here, I figured it was worth seeing if anyone had come across this issue before (or, equally, had the software work correctly on this age of van without detecting the incorrect value!)

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 2012 x250 and have had to do a proxi align for an airbag ecu change but I can't say I noticed any values that were either missing or looked incorrect.
Deneb might be the one to ask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
details here

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't think that value is used. I've seen several vans reporting they are petrol the same, including my own. To be absolutely safe though, copy the current configuration before making any changes, as explained in the link the1andonly has posted above. Then if you wish, change the value to diesel, write it to the van and save that proxi file as well. Comparing the two will tell you which byte has been changed to accommodate the new value. Then you can proxi align the vehicle to solve your current problem, and if the petrol/diesel value does cause an issue (although I'm pretty sure that it won't) you only need to edit the file to change one byte and return it to its original value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I don't think that value is used. I've seen several vans reporting they are petrol the same, including my own. To be absolutely safe though, copy the current configuration before making any changes, as explained in the link the1andonly has posted above. Then if you wish, change the value to diesel, write it to the van and save that proxi file as well. Comparing the two will tell you which byte has been changed to accommodate the new value. Then you can proxi align the vehicle to solve your current problem, and if the petrol/diesel value does cause an issue (although I'm pretty sure that it won't) you only need to edit the file to change one byte and return it to its original value.
Thanks, that's kind of what I was looking to hear.

OK, knowing that I'll do a backup and give it a go. Thanks in advance... here's hoping I still have a van in an hour or two :D

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I use Multiecuscan and have done since it was Fiatecuscan and also alfaobd and I would always recommend backing up your current configuration prior to any changes.....just in case you have any issues during the writing of the changes to the module your accessing, or any unexpected results from the change you make.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
well have you still got a van?
did changing to diesel have any effect?
sorry if hastling but i'm interested.
Heh, no problem, nothing worse than someone posting a question, getting help and then never coming back with the resolution!

Yes, all is good - shortly after the posts above I received the following response from MES themselves:

The PROXI option “engine type” which is set to “gasoline” in your Ducato was used in some older models to configure the Instrument Cluster rpm indicator and various lights for diesel/gasoline engines. It seems that the newer clusters do not use this option as there is a separate option which configures the exact type of engine.

Leaving this as “gasoline” or changing to “diesel” should not affect your car.

This matches with what Deneb said above. Suffices to say I did run the PROXI Alignment, without changing the setting, and all appears to be good so far!

Thanks all for your suggestions. At least we now have something definitive on this for anyone coming across the same issue in the future!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back