Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
My skylight over the bed is very dirty.
The dirt seems to be in between the two skins.
The question is, has anybody got any tips for cleaning it out?
Do I have to completely diss-assemble it and remove it from the motorhome?
Shall I shove it in the dishwasher next time I'm home?
Any suggestions?
Ta.
Phil
Ps
Should I have posted this thread in "looking outside from inside" thread, except there's nothing to see from inside?
IMG_20191023_143804.jpg

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Ours is slightly different to yours, I waited till the weather was ok, then took it off completely, washed it out completely, let it dry out and replaced it, we had the same problem with the bathroom roof light, but they are both good and clean now, not sure for how long though ?. good luck

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Take the torx screws out in the handles then you can remove just the top and you can unscrew the the two sections for cleaning.

OP
OP
PhilMary
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Thanks Lenny, I saw the screws in the handles but could not see how the two parts of "glass" come apart. I will take the four screws out and hope.
Phil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looking at your pic again although the same make it's a different design to the one I took apart. I think once you take the top out it is probably held together where the main handle attached to the plastic. It's a few years since I did one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Be very careful as a replacement is very expensive, what I brought was a long brush and cleaned it while the two parts were still together

OP
OP
PhilMary
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Ta Lenny,
I took the skylight off completely and you are correct, there are two more torx screws as you say through the handle and through the "glass". However, it requires a special tool as a normal torx driver is too thick, so I've asked SiL to source a thin shafted torx driver, and whilst he's at it take the skylight out, split it, clean it, re-assemble and fit it back in the roof.
After all the deal with Daughter and SiL was if you maintain the motorhome you can use it. He's a motor mechanic and he's just done the service and MOT so only a small extra job for him
Phil

OP
OP
PhilMary
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Be very careful as a replacement is very expensive, what I brought was a long brush and cleaned it while the two parts were still together
This sounds logical, Bigalw35, but I've got muck in-between the two layers. I've tried "wooshing" it out with the hosepipe to no avail.
I have a brush on a long extending handle so the top of the skylight is clean it's the muck inside that's the eyesore.
Phil

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Any suggestions?
Ta.
Phil
Ps
Should I have posted this thread in "looking outside from inside" thread, except there's nothing to see from inside?View attachment 340974

When you have a go at cleaning would you mind taking a picture of where the handles actually "lock" against the edge of the frame? My old similar skylight doesn't actually latch against anything and struggling to see how it should? Not a big problem but can "pop" open at 70mph on a windy day!

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
The crap in mine was between the two layers, but with a long brush (soft bristles all the way down the brush, about 2 foot long) hose an brush perfect ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When you have a go at cleaning would you mind taking a picture of where the handles actually "lock" against the edge of the frame? My old similar skylight doesn't actually latch against anything and struggling to see how it should? Not a big problem but can "pop" open at 70mph on a windy day!
I don't think they lock just rely on spring pressure. Maybe your springs are clapped out. Very old ones didn't have the spring latch in the handle. Later ones have a bar along the length of the handle that is spring loaded and you have to press it in before you can push the handle up.

OP
OP
PhilMary
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Jev88 . I'll have a look and take some pictures. It will have to be tomorrow as it goes dark "up-North" early. In other words it's pitch black outside.
Phil

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Any suggestions?
Ta.
Phil
Ps
Should I have posted this thread in "looking outside from inside" thread, except there's nothing to see from inside?View attachment 340974
We have a similar one in our loo. I did an article for the Murvi Club describing how to remove and take it apart which hopefully you can read. I washed ours in the bath in warm water and suggest caution using the dishwasher. It might warp the plastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilMary
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Many thanks DBK every bit of info. helps.
Thanks for the link to the useful article.
Phil

OP
OP
PhilMary
Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Ok, it's stopped raining so I've been out and taken a few photos.
IMG_20191023_143804.jpg

Mucky skylight in all it's glory.
IMG_20191025_095352.jpg

With skylight shut the two retaining arms, with springs visible through the tiny slots, are seen slightly below the horizontal. This allows the springs to apply pressure in the downward direction to help keep the skylight closed.
IMG_20191025_095411.jpg

Once opened one can see the two retaining arm now above the horizontal to aid keeping the skylight open.
Now to open the skylight.
IMG_20191025_095426.jpg

Put hand through the handles on both sides, squeeze the black levers until the black security catches are free from the fixed surround and gently raise. As per next two pictures.
IMG_20191025_095445.jpg

IMG_20191025_095501.jpg

Easy isn't it... right. to remove the skylight follow the instructions in the thread above. Before you start you will need a thin shafted torx driver.
Thanks as always to the thread contributors.
Good luck.
Phil

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Thanks PhilMary

My skylight surround has simply warped and buckled over the years and those black tabs (activated when you squeeze the handle) just don't sit at the right height to clip Under anything...... another little project for me to replace or more likely fix instead.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Just a quick “off the top of my head” I imagine if you put the roof light frame ?? In the oven for a few seconds/ minutes ??, take it out place it on a flat surface and place weights on it (evenly) and leave it to cool down, hopefully that should straighten it out ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back