Ms Angry of Bristol - Beware of breakdown cover TOCs (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
As you may know from another thread I have recently had to part company from the AA mid way through my membership year as I have changed my motorhome to one over 3.5 tons which the AA will not cover.

I am fuming to now find that the AA (and certainly RAC as well), DOES NOT OFFER A PRO RATA REFUND if you pay for your membership in one annual payment.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:. I would recommend that everyone pays by monthly instalments as none of us can predict what circumstances may change over the course of a year.

I'm certainly going to change all of my annual payments to monthly instalments in the future.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm certainly going to change all of my annual payments to monthly instalments in the future.

As far as I'm aware.. when you purchase breakdown cover, or any other insurance policy, you enter into a one year contract .. if you pay monthly then stop the DD because you no longer require it you would be in breach of contract and could be taken to court for non payment.

happy to be contradicted..

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I don't pay anything monthly, the extra costs usually involved are better in my pocket than any company's. If I ever had to cancel anything involving a refund I'd be happy to take the hit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
catspyjamas
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
As far as I'm aware.. when you purchase breakdown cover, or any other insurance policy, you enter into a one year contract .. if you pay monthly then stop the DD because you no longer require it you would be in breach of contract and could be taken to court for non payment.

happy to be contradicted..
The AA told me that I had to give 30 days notice of terminating the contract and that if I had been paying by DD I would only have been liable for the single monthly instalment that was due within those 30 days. A system that really penalises those of us that pay in advance!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have to say that I'm pleased I quit the AA when it ceased to be a members motoring organisation!

Typical of large organisations they stick the knife in on occasions like this when common decency would suggest a pro rata refund at least of the complete months remaining.

Oh but the contract says we can - so it might - miserable rip off bar stewards!

Vote with your feet everyone and don't renew now you've seen how they behave!

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
As you may know from another thread I have recently had to part company from the AA mid way through my membership year as I have changed my motorhome to one over 3.5 tons which the AA will not cover.

I am a bit confused by this. I am insured through Safeguard, which includes Europe wide recovery, and as far as I can tell includes motorhomes over 3.5 tons. The point is that my belief is that Safeguard just uses the AA. So - assuming I am right - the AA does do over 3500 in some cases. Maybe not for direct customers?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm with Safeguard as well my van is 3850kg and that is covered by AA we had a puncture last year and they turned out for us.:smiley:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Be careful with monthly payments, some are credit agreements and lock you in for the full period. Just need to read the fine print.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Safeguard pay the AA to look after there customers so safeguard policies include No size limits and AA handle All breakdowns up to 3.5t and call in contractors for Any thing over 3.5t but with personal member ship of the AA
They only do up yo 3.5 t and it's the same with the RAC as well Regarfs Garry Flatpackchicken

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
interesting............my best mate is an AA (not a contractor) recovery driver and he's told me he has a 4T limit, however he hates M/H because of the overhangs and arse dragging that occurs. i have told him to use the levelling blocks if the owner has any, to raise the arse end up when the back axle approaches the ramps.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I am assuming here but having gone over all this with my Dad and speaking to safegaurd I think the reason the AA and the RAC only accept motorhome breakdown cover over 3.5 ton via the insurance or camping club membership is to avoid commercial vehicles taking advantage of a domestic product.

I have a 4 ton motorhome which is covered via safeguard who use the AA for full Europe and UK ... My Dad use RAC arrivals via the C&CC for his 3.85 ton Motorhome

Steve

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
interesting............my best mate is an AA (not a contractor) recovery driver and he's told me he has a 4T limit, however he hates M/H because of the overhangs and arse dragging that occurs. i have told him to use the levelling blocks if the owner has any, to raise the arse end up when the back axle approaches the ramps.

Well for the record, the AA does not and cannot take any vehicle over 3.5t because that is what there trucks are built for, and they have a 0.5t leaway to 4t for those that have no idea what weight they are???? and believe me there are 100s of mhs and vans out there that are grossly over loaded and this is why the AA stipulate max 3.5t to give driver and the AA the leaway to be legal at all times. Anything over 3.5t the AA sub out to contractors that can haul any weight for the insurance companys like Safeguard and the RAC does exactly the same.
Your mate has most of the equipment he needs to recover any mh or van but I myself have had to on numerous occasions had to as driver of mh to use there levelling blocks because of the overhang but most mhs can be loaded ok, I know as I was also a AA recovery driver for 8 years????? I may even know your mate!!!!!!!!!! Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I am assuming here but having gone over all this with my Dad and speaking to safegaurd I think the reason the AA and the RAC only accept motorhome breakdown cover over 3.5 ton via the insurance or camping club membership is to avoid commercial vehicles taking advantage of a domestic product.

I have a 4 ton motorhome which is covered via safeguard who use the AA for full Europe and UK ... My Dad use RAC arrivals via the C&CC for his 3.85 ton Motorhome

Steve
It is purely a legal and safety safeguard that the AA cannot except any mh or van over 3.5t as they may become illegally overweight if the mh or van was way over 3.5t and exceeding 4t at times and the max weight an AA truck can carry legally is 4t but who knows what a mh weighs on the side of the road?????? as quite a load of mh drivers have no idea whatsoever what weight there are so how does the AA driver know????? so this is why the AA and the RAC have a max policy of 3.5t. hope this and the aboce post helps out the problem with weight and the AA and the RAC. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What I had, up to 2012, was the cover provided by the RAC under the CCC Membership. I have been recovered twice (Blown outside Inner Rear Tyre on M25 Motorway Friday afternoon!, they do not like changing Inner Tyres in M-Way Lanes and I cannot blame them!!, and a Complete Gearbox Main Shaft failure!) the Vehicle (Then) was a 31ft Pusher R-V (<8tonne) with a large overhang. They Employ a Purpose built American Rig with sliding bed From a Company Based at Boarhunt (Hants). I am assuming they (CCC) still do this?. And this scheme from CCC will cover Full continental Touring, They (RAC) arranged to have parts shipped to me in Spain one year.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi CP the AA will still give you roadside assistance but no recovery
If you join through CC then you are covered by them for recovery//same with RAC arrival the CCC pay for this
Just a word of warning your membership must be up to date with both organization for them to cover the van //they used to let you transfer any mths remaining over to AA/CC scheme
Terry

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The AA refused to give a refund when my father died three weeks after renewing his policy for another year.

My mother doesn't drive so the money was lost.

With customer "service" like that we won't use them.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Changed to Green Flag yonks ago and never had a problem. They've recovered for us everything from a Fiat Punto to a 9-10 ton RV without any problems whatsoever. Incidentally you should have seen the truck that recovered the RV it was a HUGE monster and if it had been during daylight I'd have taken a photo but it was pitch black on the A303

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back