jan27

Free Member
Nov 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I am so confused! We are trying to decide on a motorhome to buy and have looked at so many. Travelled miles to different dealers. I hoped this forum would help us to make up our minds but everyone has their own preference. I think we will buy an older van to try first. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for in buying an older van?:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, picking from years of experience this book was written to answer all of your questions. It will help you decide and it will save you money
Link Removed
Written by none other than our very own Jim Brown B.E.M.
however if you decide not to buy it then I would suggest making 2 lists one containing:-
Must have
Would like
the second:-
No way jose.
so concider
1) what weight your licence will allow you to drive
2) how many Berths (Belted seats) do you need
3)Are you going to use it in the UK or abroad.
4)how fit are you, are you happy to makeup beds every night or do you need fixed beds. If fixed (ish) can you cope with climbing into an overcab bed in an A class Van.
5) What class of van do you prefer
panel van conversion (c class)
Coachbuilt with original cab (B class)
fully integrated hab and cab (A class)
or an American RV loads of space but high fuel consumption.
How about TV, need a satellite installed
Wild camping solar panels
Extended trips, fixed gas tank?
Do you like to sit and read or lounge and watch TV
do you cycle or want to tow another vehicle.
do you have a dog
Do you need an oven, or grill
Can you actually sit on the toilet and perform properly, lots are very confined to say the least.
Is the shower large enough
Do you have a preferance to base vehicle.
tick all the right boxes for you and the chances are you will find what you need. On average most people jump in with both feet and it takes three vans before the layout they actually need is found. do your homework and reduce that to one van, the first one, hee hee.
good luck with the hunt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
First Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, not wanting to confuse you more, make a list of the things you would like.

Fixed Bed or Pull down bed.
Room to store outside chairs and BQ
What size van are you comforable driveing

Why not make a list of what you would like or ask the questions about them, we all have our favouries but its what suits you.

The one thing I would not do for a first van is spend on a new van so much money, and a good low milage older van often has any faults sorted out and extra's, bike rack / solar panel/ awning on saving quite a bit.

Good Luck, and do use the forum thats what we are here for. :welcomefunster:

Upvote 0

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS YOU NEED /DONT NEED IN NEARLY ALL MOTORHOMES, YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU REALLY NEED BEFORE MAKING A DECISION. AS A COMPARITIVE NEWCOMER TO MOTOR HOMING i CAN VERIFY THAT A SO CALLED GOOD SECOND HAND LOW MILEAGE IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST BET. IT COULD BE SOMEONE OFF LOADING A PIECE OF *&^&.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: It may cost you a couple of hundred quid but try hiring one for a few day's that will soon show you what you want/need and could well save you a lot of money.At very least you get a few day's away :thumb:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I am so confused! We are trying to decide on a motorhome to buy and have looked at so many. Travelled miles to different dealers. I hoped this forum would help us to make up our minds but everyone has their own preference. I think we will buy an older van to try first. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for in buying an older van?:Doh:

Welcome!
I think you are quite right to consider buying an older van first. And then maybe settle for an older van next - often better built!:winky:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back