Mr Ds Thermal cook pot, review (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Last winter I really wanted one of these but a search on here came back with mixed reviews and I chickened out (see what I did there?).

Fast forward to Malvern show and whether it was the sight of all those cowboys, too much gin or the sheer excitement of making badges on the Funster stall (sorry if you got an upside down one) in a moment of shopping frenzie I bought one.

Here is a link to the web site.

http://mrdscookware.com

It's essentially a massive thermal flask with an inner pot you stove cook any stew, chicken, hock, curry etc for approx 15mins, place into the outer thermal case and leave for minimum of 1 hour max 8 hours, to finish cooking with no more outsourced energy. It will keep the food at a hot temperature for hours.

I'm not gonna lie it is expensive, the show price was £100, with the smaller top pot and cook book thrown in, so cheaper than his website. But still an expensive impulse buy.

There were doubters, Mr Mousy (Martin) was very reluctant, I seem to remember him muttering "not more useless crap to sit in a cupboard" and Clifton and Geraldine reckoned I'd be selling it on eBay hardly used soon.

But they have all eaten those words, Cliff and Ger enjoyed a chilli in Devises, lots of Funsters had Hungarian goulash at Holmes Chapel a few weeks ago, with many more family meals in between.

So if you like stews, curries, cooked chickens, spaghetti bog etc this could be for you.
I find it great on busy days as I throw everything in, in the morning and come home to a hot meal, it's great in the van for the same reason. Either make at home and arrive somwhere with a hot stew or on a Sunday it's a joy to return home and not to have to cook when we get in.

It will obviously get more use in winter, I've surprised myself how much I've used it at home, I'm guessing there will be energy savings by not having things bubbling away on the stove for hours.
Unlike my normal slow cooker (which is crap lurking in a back cupboard) there is no smell.

I'm a convert to Mr Ds and no I'm not on a commission!

Happy cooking and good eating fellow Funsters.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Great Report Mrs Mousey, I have to admit to being one of those who said properly a gimmick thing, definitely sounds as if I was wrong enjoy. (y)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Great Report Mrs Mousey, I have to admit to being one of those who said properly a gimmick thing, definitely sounds as if I was wrong enjoy. (y)

Hi carol, yes you did! Don't worry I'll give you and your lovely Eddie a practical demonstration at our next meet together, beef madras anyone?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Ours works well too & by the way you Holmes Chapel goulash was good.
See you in a field somewhere soon

Roger & Sheila.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I did a smoked ham hock yesterday, just boiled it up with some whole peppercorns, and bay leaves, top pot of spuds, left it all day then just cooked some veg when I got home. Delish.

I find it's great for cheaper cuts of meat which eat better after a long slow cook.

Bellini, what you cooking in yours this weekend?

I'm tempted to try brisket.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'm probably going to do a curry.

Prepare it in the morning and let it cook all day. We're off to a campsite around lunchtime, so it'll be a ridiculously easy supper for us in the evening.

I'm doing a bolognese sauce the same way later in the week.

For me, the great thing about these cookers is that I can leave it anywhere to do its stuff. So when travelling, it'll probably be locked in the garage or the wardrobe. It never gets in the way.

Smoked ham hock sounds wonderful. Must try that.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Oh dear, this sounds like another 'must have' bit of cookware to add to our collection.
Can you give us an idea of the dimensions ?

Many thanks

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
But is the food piping hot when you get to eat it ?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can vouch for Mr D's Chilli - and after reading Dawn's glowing review, I have stopped watching for it on Ebay! ;)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
It's no different to a meal in a slow cooker. Curries, bolognese, chilli, etc all improve after a period of marinading and this suits the thermal cooker ethos perfectly.

Dimensions of mine, bearing in mind mine isn't a Mrs D's, is around 12" diameter by 18" high. Perfectly sized for a meal for 6 if you cook rice / spaghetti separately.

And, yes, mine is always hot when being served. It's all in the preparation, I've found.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's also the 'Dreampot', 'Magic Cooker' and also the Lakeland 'stay hot pot' versions, not sold now but you can pick them up second hand.

The secret is that you MUST have a removable pan inside which you use to start off the cooking process on a hob to get the high temperature needed, this is what makes them different to the much cheaper thermal/insulated food pot where you just poor the contents in - it will never actually cook the food, just keep it warm like a Thermos flask.

By starting the cooking off on the hob in the pan you get a high temperature and when you place the pan in the thermal outer it builds up the pressure/temperature and that is what cooks the food.

I had one but sold it to a fellow funster (can't remember who bought it!) as it was too big for our camper van unfortunately otherwise I wouldn't have parted with it.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would have thought you need a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria in the first place but then I only know how to eat not cook

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would have thought you need a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria in the first place but then I only know how to eat not cook
Yes, but whilst it kill the bacteria it doesn't mean that it will fully cook the food, the thermal cooking pots are actually totally sealed so the heat creates pressure and this in turn means it actually gets hotter inside to the food is safe from giving you a nasty tummy. Once the food is in them (so long as it has been prepared properly in the first place) and you've left it for the requisite length of time it ensure that it is cooked thoroughly and meat etc is tender. This is different to a pure Thermos flask type container which should NOT be used to 'cook' the food, only to keep already thoroughly cooked food hot (I did research it quite a bit as to how it works before I bought the 'stay hot pot').

There are some recipes on this website:

http://www.pinterest.com/petiteloulou/recipes-thermal-cooker/

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Had one for years use it all year round, pleased I bought in when we did as it was expensive but not £100 better than a slow cooker as it does not mush the veg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have toyed with the idea of using my pressure cooker (which I always have with me in the van) and then putting it into some sort of 'hay box' (or an 'duvet' type alternative) to continue cooking ... might have to give it a go! If I do and you don't hear from me for a few days you'll know I've poisoned myself! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I forgot to say I bought a picnic bag in the sale which I use to carry it in, I just leave ours on the floor at the back of the van whilst travelling.

Well done Scattycat. If you want any receipts just shout.

Dizzydd

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Hi mousy looking forward to a Mr D cooking lesson with you at next meet ?? Need to use mine a lot more x

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi mousy looking forward to a Mr D cooking lesson with you at next meet ?? Need to use mine a lot more x

Morning darling, how are you both? long time no hear. Are you going abroad for the winter?

If you are around we will have to have a mini meet, or a mr Ds meet. Lol.
Love to you both xx

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Would this work for a single person, love my slow cooker at home and have been looking at a 12v for the van but this sounds even better as I can start at home and take with me :)

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I forgot to say I bought a picnic bag in the sale which I use to carry it in, I just leave ours on the floor at the back of the van whilst travelling.

Well done Scattycat. If you want any receipts just shout.

If you sign up Mrs D's will send regular recipes.:)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Clive, yes it would. I think Mr Ds is 4.1/2 lts. What you would need is the top pot (check his website). This sits ontop of your meal, either filled with hot water or additional veg. This means you can have less volume of stew in the main inner pot. If I was you I'd always make enough for 2 and bung some in a freezer bag and freeze for later.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Clive, yes it would. I think Mr Ds is 4.1/2 lts. What you would need is the top pot (check his website). This sits ontop of your meal, either filled with hot water or additional veg. This means you can have less volume of stew in the main inner pot. If I was you I'd always make enough for 2 and bung some in a freezer bag and freeze for later.
Thank you, I shall wait for the next show as they normally throw in a few freebies as well (y)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Indeed they do, we had the top pot included.

The Bogtrotter

Free Member
Oct 12, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
I want one! We use our slow cooker a lot and it looks perfect for my chilli I make every Tuesday. I am also an energy saving nut. :)

Dizzydd

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Hi Hun
We are doing well. We have decided to go abroad again, but I want to go with a group after last year. Just looking out for peeps going, some already in spain and others going in jan , what are you guys up to. Oh just remind me, if Mr D is full do I still need to use the small pot as well, or is that only if you only have small quantity as I know you feed your hubby and strapping lads from your one pot? hugs Dee and Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back