MPPT Controller Are They Any Good (1 Viewer)

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Good morning all Ive been looking at fitting a lower end flexi panel on van, my question is what is the benefit of a MPPT controller

Is this one any good
Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In simple terms they are later technologicly and are reputed to be far superior in converting your solar power to battery power:thumb:
Ie More bang for your buck with less loss

What I dont like about than one is the display is on the end and wont be user friendly if fitted normally to a wall. Much prefer a face display

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We only now use the Victron MPPT unit. We have tested it and concur with the claims of about 30%:Eeek: more efficient

On my own van I have experimented extensively and have three 130W panels which I have (and still am) used a "mix and match" approach to establish the best "bang for my buck"

We are in the process of setting up a panel on a stand that we can wheel in and out of our shop wired to a normal regulator and a MPPT regulator via and Amp meter. That way we can show the difference as the meter will show the cumulative effect.

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The MPPT controller is more efficient at lower voltages from the panel, such as in low light conditions frequently found in the UK. You won't see much difference at midday in Spain in August.

I have always been a bit dubious about the flexy panels though, as without an air gap under them they could get very hot in bright sunshine, with the potential of damage to the panel.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't touch a PWM controller. MPPT is the way to go.
Here is a youtube video showing why.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpL4RR0_QyM"]MPPT vs PWM Solar charger performance - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I also would if I had the money use 100% victron gear. It is the best.
But even an el Cheapo chinese MPPT charger will give you some gains over any PWM controller.

OP
OP
Dubiousp

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First