Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
since 2008
Hi All, Hoping to go to Franch for the first time in 2013. i'am a bit worried about driving on the wrong side of road to us in uk. Any tips going from anybody. Regards Mick & Sue.:whatthe:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Best advice is to put your brain in gear before your motor.

But honestly it is very easy due to uncrowded roads and roundabouts are real easy.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We did it 6 years ago first time MH trailer Smart Car, 3,600 miles later arrived home and all well, just watch what you are doing especially joining roads at an angle ie slip road has its not always able to see what's coming, that's what your passenger is for. Enjoy . Pete :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome, we find the sat nav is a brilliant aid when travelling in Europe reminding you to drive on the Right and guiding you into the correct lanes, take your time, hubby always say's to remember to keep the wheel in the ditch and he's ok. He even drove around the periferke Paris this year, but would not recomend trying that. Enjoy your trip.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi All, Hoping to go to Franch for the first time in 2013. i'am a bit worried about driving on the wrong side of road to us in uk.

Tell you what, it's a hell of a site better than driving on our side over there.

I refuse to tell you how I know this !!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Tell you what, it's a hell of a site better than driving on our side over there.

I refuse to tell you how I know this !!

Very good advice----hands up those that have never done it

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & Welcome, It's not a problem after first couple of miles it becomes second nature and you stop worring about it , just remember if you stop for any reason as I did on my first visit , I pulled over on to a layby/car park for a cuppa then very relaxed drove out of carpark nothing coming either way I altomatically pulled over to the left (to my horror ) then noticed oncoming vehicles on that side as well (Panic) just need to concentrate!!!! . Been several times since done about 6000 miles no prob,sat nav now reminds me each time I pull away, also got large note on top of dash. Terry:sin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Very good advice----hands up those that have never done it

My hand is not up.

First time was in Switzerland 40 years ago, an early morning trip to the super market, brain not switched on, I looked for danger the wrong way and cut across a poor motorcyclist. My wife saved the day but his underwear was a write-off.

It's happened a few times since. It's always when distracted and brain goes UK.

So go easy and keep the brain in EU mode. I've done 40 years over their, got it wrong a few times but never actually had an accident.

Now there's a daft statement to make :cry:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
In 1994 I sat on a ferry with 500 miles to drive being 1st time ever on "wrong" side of the road. I nervously followed cars off the ferry and settled down. My wife and 2 kids were barred from talking to me or each other to allow me to concentrate! (for about 15 minutes)
Remember to look left first, nearly cost my NS wing when pulling out of a lay-by. Looking left first also applies as a pedestrian !! Joining empty minor roads can lead to momentarily lapsing back to driving on the left
After a week I drove home via Paris and parked near the Eiffel Tower. I had no map of Paris but just kept pointing towards the tower!

IF IN DOUBT, DON'T! WAIT AND PAUSE A MOMENT.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I went to France this year for the 1st time and i was worried about driving but the roads over in France are better than here and its easy less traffic i would rather do a long journey in France than England

Andy

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
the sat nav will remind you on switching on but an extra tip is just stick a piece of paper /post it note on steering wheel when you parking up. Danger time is coming off site with no other traffic and you can forget but general driving around is no problem :thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think it's only natural to feel apprehensive about it but just at the consensus, everyone will tell you it's nowhere near as bad as you think it will be. As you come off the ferry you'll be following all the others and you very quickly realise that it's OK to relax and enjoy the ride.
As has been mentioned you need to train your passenger to be on the lookout as you join roads at an angle as they can see what's coming along the main road better than you can. Otherwise have a great time.

Wyn

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Just remember to drive with yourself next to the kerb and you won't go far wrong.It really only takes half an hour or so and it becomes second nature!:thumb:

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I found it was best to practice driving on the right for a couple of weeks before you go abroad.

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Good advise from JOHNSTEY,

Its when you get back to Blighty you realise how congested and mad our roads are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back