Mpg.. Staggering Difference Found (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A 25% improvement of mpg for a 3 mph reduction in speed is implausible I think. Was there a strong tailwind? The trial needs to be done over a much longer period I think to get a reliable result. The mpg will be better of course for the slightly reduced speed but that much improvement doesn't compute unless there is some other factor involved other than the change in speed. I'm not doubting the mpg figure isn't correct, only that the speed reduction was the sole reason. :)
Of course you are proly quite right.. I mean, as someone who averages only about 60,000 miles a year I completely failed to take in to account all the variables ..

Seriously, have a look at the route from Newark to Thetford using the A1, A14, A11..
It is actually part going south and part going north.. And unless the whole route is downhill...........................

I shall continue in experimental mode for a couple of tank fulls and see what happens.. Increasing speed up to a cruise of 60mph and dropping to 50 mph ( where I started messing around and slowly increased up to 52 .. At 53 mph the economy started to drop off

More reports further down the diesel bill

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have 1200 miles on our Fiat 2.3l with 150bhp and the MPG is starting to get better but nowhere near 29.7. Average is sitting at approx 24.6 right now. I use the sat nav to gauge speed and sit at the speed limits +/- 1mph. Engine turns at a constant 2000 rpm and very seldom shifts from that even going up hill; a steady climb rather than steep where it will move up a bit. If I average 25mph then I am good to go, anything above is a bonus (y).
On our computerised display it advises you when to change gear, I'm used to the system as I have 6 gears and the same system on my car. But it took Ralph a few miles to get used to the extra gear. Pug seams to want to get right up through the gears ASAP. When we first drove it , on the way to Whitby goth , we thought it was doing a poor mpg . Not realising it crept up once you did more mileage. Ralph said he'd be very happy if it got over 30 mpg. But on talking to an owner of the same van they were getting high 30's.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Without going in to who gets the best MPG.... Top Gear pointed out that you should never coast downhill out of gear (yes I know) because going downhill on over-run, you use no fuel at all with a diesel. Try it for yourself.
As for the optimum speed, many trucks drive at 56mph, their optimum speed for fuel efficiency and getting to their destinations in good time..... but what do they know?
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
When we bought this Pilote 716 we were seeing 27.6 over our first couple of trips average 2000 miles. It has now got approximately 13000 miles on the clock and shows 25.6.

I know that I drive it faster now than when it was brand new, so I guess if I slow down a bit the MPG figures would show a goodly improvement.

Percentages sound a lot more impressive DBK, than saying I got a 2MPG increase.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Speed, drag and accelerate/stop are the mpg killers!

On the few occasions that I have tried cruising faster the fall in mpg was massive....

Using indicated speeds which are a little faster than the GPS shows.....

55 MPH ........ 44 MPG

65 MPH ........ 35 MPG

75 MPH ........ 28 MPG

So my view is that given the time I would rather save the money (y)

Our historic average includes all these speeds and various short and long journeys. If we are going from here (Glasgow) to Dover then I always average better than 42 and have sometimes managed more (really!).

It does help that we have a modern 2.3 diesel 6 gear manual panel van so drag is less. Also I never exceed 2500 RPM and cruise at between 1800 and 2000 RPM.

:)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Reading these posts I just have to slow down a bit, I heard people saying you get better MPG, but seeing the figures you guys are talking about, really brings it home.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Reading these posts I just have to slow down a bit, I heard people saying you get better MPG, but seeing the figures you guys are talking about, really brings it home.
Look on the bright side ,You are paying in €'s so that's worth another 30+% on mpg than if you were paying in £'s ! :LOL:

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
never in a rush in MH, never check mpg just put fuel and go:)(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I just fill up and drive if I cant afford the journey I don't go I don't go much above 60mph and try to just keep that average speed
bill

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
It's 220 miles from our house to the Eurotunnel Terminal at Folkestone and 219 miles of that is Motorway.

We go as fast as possible and to hell with the MPG – we just want to get to France as quick as we can.

If I'd wanted economy I wouldn't have bought a brick on wheels!

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Next time I go away I will try a comparison, I know i will probably not achieve this as I get excited and go into warp drive.:smiley:

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I get 31.9 (indicated) in the van ,
Wife gets 24.3 in the car .
All down to the skill of the driver , obviously .:whistle: