MPG....speed related savings (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
After nearly 20000 miles in our Fiat 130hp van I have observed the following:

50 mph gives 43 mpg

60 mph gives 35 mpg

70 mph gives 28 mpg

Generally depending on how quiet/busy the roads are, I tend to cruise between 50 and 60. All these speeds are 'indicated' and in reality are about 4mph fast according to the GPS

My average overall is 38mpg

The 'shocker' is that going just that little bit faster uses a massive amount of extra fuel for little saving in time and a lot more stress.

I am referring to constant speeds set with cruise control where possible. It does of course depend on the type of journey and time available.

For me...... cruise control on......music on....,. Sit back and relax :):)

The journey takes a little longer and I spend less on diesel. It works out to be a 'free' bottle of wine every 100 miles :D

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Totally agree, we just enjoy the journey and hardly ever go over 60mph. (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
50 mph gives 43 mpg
60 mph gives 35 mpg
70 mph gives 28 mpg
Generally depending on how quiet/busy the roads are, I tend to cruise between 50 and 60. All these speeds are indicated' and in reality are about 4mph fast according to the GPS
The 'shocker' is that going just that little bit faster uses a massive amount of extra fuel for little saving in time and a lot more stress.
I am referring to constant speeds set with cruise control where possible. It does of course depend on the type of journey and time available.
The journey takes a little longer and I spend less on diesel. It works out to be a 'free' bottle of wine every 100 miles :D

Mine is the Boxer with a 130 engine, I normally get approaching 37 on long steady runs mostly using cruise. Only time I've bettered that was after taking advice from a mech to run 3 tanks of BP Ultimate through it. 5p a litre more than straight BP and about 8p more than supermarkets. Got up to 39 to 40 which didn't in my view justify the extra expense. What I noticed on changing back was a loss of a smoke free, smooth run in all gears. I also thought the engine was a bit noisier but as I'm deaf as a doorpost that was probably aural make believe. I agree that a steady 50-60 does give much better mpg and so I keep to that even on motorways.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

50 mph gives 43 mpg

60 mph gives 35 mpg

70 mph gives 28 mpg

Generally depending on how quiet/busy the roads are, I tend to cruise between 50 and 60. All these speeds are 'indicated' and in reality are about 4mph fast according to the GPS

Are these figures from the computer readout, or actual figures from old fashioned neck to neck trials?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I generally set the cruise to 58 ish True speed 55mph. I did a sort of experiment last run out and took notice of the cars that whizzed past. When we turned onto the M25 off the M11 I recognised many of the fast cars. Then again when reaching the Dartford bridge the same cars were just in front again. This is caused by lorries overtaking at snails pace so everyone catches up.
Moral is theres no point in going faster than the lorries, so stick to 55 and save "loadsamoney"
Phil

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I was taught years ago that you have to double your speed to halve the time taken to travel the same distance - and the incremental savings over 50 mpg are hardly worth rushing for!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Never done any keeping at one speed or anything else but check at every fill up and find, it makes no difference to mpg whether we do eighty down the motorway or toddle about at 40 its still between 25 and 28 never been out of that range, it does 100 miles to a quarter tank almost without fail and I fill as near as possible to 380 miles, never varies, iv been with my son and with a mate in their vans and they come up with various mpg according to their computer way above 30 to the gallon but they always end up putting as much or more diesel in when we fill up for the same distance

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Actual (although I have rounded down for the sake of brevity).

To my embarrassment I can count EVERY gallon that the van has ever used :eek:

No embarrassment there chocks, or should I say join the club? Nothing wrong with being 'cost aware/tight', I'm welsh and it's the only thing I've ever been an expert in.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Never done any keeping at one speed or anything else but check at every fill up and find, it makes no difference to mpg whether we do eighty down the motorway or toddle about at 40 its still between 25 and 28 never been out of that range, it does 100 miles to a quarter tank almost without fail and I fill as near as possible to 380 miles, never varies, iv been with my son and with a mate in their vans and they come up with various mpg according to their computer way above 30 to the gallon but they always end up putting as much or more diesel in when we fill up for the same distance

Exactly the same here get 23mpg to 25mpg whether driving at 55mph or 65mph or 4250kgs 0r 5000kgs
makes virtually no difference. The only increase in mpg 2 or 3 is since I had the remap taken off that put it back up to 25mpg which it did before the remap.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
same sort of findings as op. if speed is kept to not much over 50 the range per tank full of fuel goes up dramatically . ie 550miles. if driven at 60+ then it drops to 450 or so.. that's distance driving.
ta andy

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
our old merc was lucky to do 40 let alone 60 but returned 25mpg constant:)(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My difficulty is going fast enough to keep driving interesting & me awake. I don't find driving stressful at any sensible speed but I do find it difficult to go slow & stay alert. My Fiat 2.8 speedo dramatically over-reads (72 = 65). I use cruise control to run at a real 65 & around 22 - 24 mpg. I don't think I could go much slower. I too log every gallon (litre) I buy & do the calculation every couple of tank-fills or so.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have been keeping an eye on my consumption too. (1990 Merc 208 D with Aftermarket turbo)

Guess what I discovered? Once I hit 60 mph (I rarely used to ever go that fast) something just 'lines up' and the thing flies! Up (very slight) hills and down dale! And you know what else? The tank full where I discovered this delivered the best MPG I have ever got from the van! Normal slow driving (55mph max) I get 21.5 on average. Driving at 60 I find I have to start backing off to avoid going even faster - 22.3 MPG!! Best ever - until........ I put 4 new Continental Vanco 2 tires on it last week. Next tank went up to 23.22! Blimey!

Will keep tabs on this once I have fixed my current problems.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Motorway just enough to keep out of the LGV guys who are working for a living, never use cruise as I would rather allow the the speed to drop off gradually on a steep incline as opposed to cruise giving it welly.
Back road speed depends on the scenery and other road users.
End result 33.2mpg average taken using onboard system and the old belt and braces full tank to full tank method.
Almost missed the essentials - Fiat Ducato Maxi 130

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
My difficulty is going fast enough to keep driving interesting & me awake. I don't find driving stressful at any sensible speed but I do find it difficult to go slow & stay alert. My Fiat 2.8 speedo dramatically over-reads (72 = 65). I use cruise control to run at a real 65 & around 22 - 24 mpg. I don't think I could go much slower. I too log every gallon (litre) I buy & do the calculation every couple of tank-fills or so.
Hello your speedo is then reading 9% fast----so your mileometer will also be 9% fast
So you need to consider this when working out your MPG
My speedo in an 89 Ford transit is 25% fast----confusing and probably illegal
This is the result of fitting a gearbox from a van with higher speed differential

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
And be a courteous driver - pull in and let people pass if they have been stuck behind you for a while. Why create aggro?
I'm a big believer in this. I'm still on my 7 week trip around the South and always pull in when required :)

Did it the other day for a delivery van, who promptly tooted and waved his appreciation :)

Gives us all a better name in the motoring world, which can't be a bad thing :)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I find it odd that you all talk in MPH and MPG.
My engine runs sweetest at between 2,500 and 3,000 revs,so that's where I drive.
I buy my fuel in ltrs and do most of my motorhoming outside UK,so I travel in Kms.
I reckon 600k to a full tank and that's it-I'm certainly not going to worry if it only does 580 nor jump with joy if it does 620. I wouldn't actually know :LOL:
Fuel consumption of vehicles is a 'boy' thing that I've never understood-you buy the vehicle cos you want it ! what does it matter how much fuel it uses if it gives you enjoyment ?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Just put the same tyres on my van last week Oddsocks (well the fourseasons ones). Now that my curiosity is aroused I will have to see if there is any difference in my mpg, normally around 27. I also added some of that diesel fuel tank treatment stuff, the name of it escapes me, the last time I filled up. Should get around 1000 miles to the tank now thinking about it :clap2:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Fuel consumption of vehicles is a 'boy' thing that I've never understood-you buy the vehicle cos you want it ! what does it matter how much fuel it uses if it gives you enjoyment ?

But part of choosing the vehicle is the cost of running it. I'm not obsessive about checking mpg or lpk but when it starts to drop away I know there is the possibility that something is a bit out of kilter even when a vehicle is serviced regularly.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Have to admit to being a saddo who likes to monitor my mpg mph running. Not really bothered about the cost as I usually do 2 or 3 fills on posh diesel, then a fill on the cheaper stuff :)

However I do like to see how my driving style, high winds, driving rain, A roads, B roads and motorways effect my mpg :)

I remember my dad using a plastic dial thingy when I was a kid. He'd always look at his mpg in his old Austins, Moggys, Fords and Vauxhalls, guess it was ingrained from then :)

I know that the more economical you are with speed, is meant to equal better mpg, however I've had runs whereby the weathers great, no wind, slightly higher speeds and a better return on mpg, possibly through better efficiencies of a motor that's happy to cruise :)

My best mpg - 34.91
Worst - 22.02

Average - 25.93

So I'm happy. Didn't spend 10's of £1000's on a motorhome to worry too much about mpg, but I do like to monitor.

I use this app. It's so easy to use and let's me know straight away how I'm doing. You can run any number of vehicles on it, so do my car as well. I also make notes on each entry as a form of diary as to where I've been etc. Don't know what I ate for breakfast, let along a month ago and this helps me log it all :)

image.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Ditto to PPBear, and I use the same App too...

I'm now interested if my overcab van will return higher MPG on our trip home now that my overcab is significantly lower profile.....:wink:
Brilliant Callum :) You're a gent and a fighter to the end and gets my vote any day :boxing:

I think I'd rather the higher mpg, than the extreme measures of reducing the size of the overhead cab :Eeek:

Glad to hear Diane's well on the mend too....now you could drop her off at the airport - reduced load = even better mpg......oh blimey don't mention that to her will you gulp :rofl:

Keep having that safe journey now and hopefully it'll be Croatia in a new motorhome next year :clap2::party2:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

50 mph gives 43 mpg

60 mph gives 35 mpg

70 mph gives 28 mpg

I have a 140 bhp VW T5 campervan and no matter where I drive it or at what speed (between 55 and 70 mph) I always get a very similar fuel consumption, just over 7 miles per litre or about 33 mpg.

I think vans that are incredibly un-aerodynamic (such as cans with Lutons) may be more affected by speed.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Mine gets 250 miles or there abouts to £50 of diesel every time and on my recent french trip It did 2703 miles to £500 of diesel

I worked it out at between 24 and 30 mpg
Fiat ducato 2.8idtd maxi

I don't think it would ever get 43 mpg that's what my car gets and it's half the weight and a hell of a lot more streamlined :p

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hello your speedo is then reading 9% fast----so your mileometer will also be 9% fast
So you need to consider this when working out your MPG
My speedo in an 89 Ford transit is 25% fast----confusing and probably illegal
This is the result of fitting a gearbox from a van with higher speed differential
Yep - I'm aware of this but haven't bothered to compensate. Incidentally Ford supply (or used to) different speedo drive pinions that fit most of their RWD gearboxes. Work out what you need then order it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back