MPG....speed related savings (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I find it odd that you all talk in MPH and MPG.
My engine runs sweetest at between 2,500 and 3,000 revs,so that's where I drive.
I buy my fuel in ltrs and do most of my motorhoming outside UK,so I travel in Kms.
I reckon 600k to a full tank and that's it-I'm certainly not going to worry if it only does 580 nor jump with joy if it does 620. I wouldn't actually know :LOL:
Fuel consumption of vehicles is a 'boy' thing that I've never understood-you buy the vehicle cos you want it ! what does it matter how much fuel it uses if it gives you enjoyment ?
I find it useful to keep an eye on the state of the engine / vehicle. Otherwise I agree completely.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't really check. The computer says something like 22.9 mpg most of the time but I don't know how accurate that is. We do about 400 miles to a tank and a tank costs about £100.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Used to check...... quite frankly can't be bothered now as in the big scheme of things relative to the very high cost of the van itself, fuel consumption is really a small cost. It will burn whatever fuel it burns and apart from a relaxed driving style, not something we can really influence.

Rhetorical question...... "Ooh look at that nice new Pilote. Great layout, big lounge, big bathroom, almost perfect for us, but ooh it might only do 23 to the gallon so should we buy it?" No - not a conversation we had. However, each to their own, it is a free country.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I log every tankful of fuel, as a retired engineer I find it interesting, not just the consumption but the cost. When we go north up the west coast of Scotland service stations are fewer so it helps to know how far we can go. On a trip to Shetland we spent three weeks up there and only filled up when we returned to Aberdeen, the diesel was some 20p/ltr more in Lerwick. Last weekend I filled up on our way home from Northumberland and I worked out we had returned 31.49m.p.g. The killer is a strong headwind, once only returned 26.8m.p.g. driving the length of the M6.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Used to check...... quite frankly can't be bothered now as in the big scheme of things relative to the very high cost of the van itself, fuel consumption is really a small cost. It will burn whatever fuel it burns and apart from a relaxed driving style, not something we can really influence.

Rhetorical question...... "Ooh look at that nice new Pilote. Great layout, big lounge, big bathroom, almost perfect for us, but ooh it might only do 23 to the gallon so should we buy it?" No - not a conversation we had. However, each to their own, it is a free country.(y)
I dunno I wanted to buy a huge American RV ....i loved the bedroom the shower the lovely leather lounge and the huge slide out .....but yeah the fact it did 8mpg was a very very important question .....no point having a lovely van you can't afford to run.

I've a mate with a 5.0litre bmw with exactly that problem he polishes it more than he drives it as the polish is 50p a litre cheaper :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I dunno I wanted to buy a huge American RV ....i loved the bedroom the shower the lovely leather lounge and the huge slide out .....but yeah the fact it did 8mpg was a very very important question .....no point having a lovely van you can't afford to run.

I've a mate with a 5.0litre bmw with exactly that problem he polishes it more than he drives it as the polish is 50p a litre cheaper :)
Fair comment, but I was thinking more of the typical coach built or van conversion. With an RV surely people look for an LPG conversion as an option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Same point applies - gazillions of van based Motorhomes and comparatively few American RVs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back