Mpg increased by 15% (1 Viewer)

Dec 9, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Caravaning / boating / motorhoming for 20+ years
With an extra 380kg our fuel consumption has improved by 15%, simply by inflating the tyres to the correct pressure.
A couple of weeks ago we purchased our new (to us) van and drove home 150+ miles with near unladen van weighing 3360kg and averaged around 25mpg. Today we drove 100+miles fully loaded weighing 3740kg and averaged 29mpg. Both similar roads and speeds (60mph on A1/A14). I can only put the better fuel consumption down to me increasing the tyre pressure. When we got home I inflated the tyres from around 55psi, to the recommended 79.5psi..... A bit noisier on concrete roads, but otherwise no noticeable difference driving.

We have a weigh-bridge in our village, so weighed vehicle empty as soon as we purchased it, then again this morning fully laden (with scooter in garage, generator, heavy awning, full fresh water etc) as we departed on route for Scotland for 6 weeks.

We have a 4250kg max van, so very pleased that we still have around 500kg spare, although the rear axle was only 100kg off the max, so we have moved as much forward out of the garage as we can.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats it then 20 bags of cement in the back tomoz
and 200lb in the tyres:thumb:
seriously thats about the best MPG improver you can do
Get the tyres right

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
With an extra 380kg our fuel consumption has improved by 15%, simply by inflating the tyres to the correct pressure.
A couple of weeks ago we purchased our new (to us) van and drove home 150+ miles with near unladen van weighing 3360kg and averaged around 25mpg. Today we drove 100+miles fully loaded weighing 3740kg and averaged 29mpg. Both similar roads and speeds (60mph on A1/A14). I can only put the better fuel consumption down to me increasing the tyre pressure. When we got home I inflated the tyres from around 55psi, to the recommended 79.5psi..... A bit noisier on concrete roads, but otherwise no noticeable difference driving.

We have a weigh-bridge in our village, so weighed vehicle empty as soon as we purchased it, then again this morning fully laden (with scooter in garage, generator, heavy awning, full fresh water etc) as we departed on route for Scotland for 6 weeks.

We have a 4250kg max van, so very pleased that we still have around 500kg spare, although the rear axle was only 100kg off the max, so we have moved as much forward out of the garage as we can.

How can you measure the fuel consumption accurately over such short jouirneys?

I hope it's not the onboard computer as they are rediculously inaccurate with fuel consumption.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Now what you need is a set of Jim's tyre pressure thingies and you'll always know that they are at the right pressure. I'm very pleased with mine.

Link Removed

And if you contact Jim you can get Funster discount.
Wyn
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ipetchey
Dec 9, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Caravaning / boating / motorhoming for 20+ years
It was with the on board computer. I have found it to be quite accurate.

I hope it's not the onboard computer as they are rediculously inaccurate with fuel consumption.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

I increased mine when i got the rear breaks freed off
was only getting 8MPG on LPG
now get 11 MPG whoopeeee :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Now what you need is a set of Jim's tyre pressure thingies and you'll always know that they are at the right pressure. I'm very pleased with mine.

Link Removed

And if you contact Jim you can get Funster discount.
Wyn
:thumb:
mine worked well too :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

The Fiat unit oddly it does seem to learn - I'm not suggesting it has artificial intelligence but ex factory it's laughable and it gradually gets more accurate. When new mine said I had a range of 470 miles with only a quarter of tank of fuel!

Reset the thing a few times and it gets better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back