MPG and performance info and tips (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm inclined to agree with Pappajohn. As stated in my post (a few above), my 5 cylinder VW 2.5TDI would never exceed 30 mpg driven at or near the legal limit, and as for 110 mph?? It would get close to 100mph, but it was making more revs than an old Yam FS1E, and sounded nearly as bad!!

I can see that we have A Few Doubting Thomases on here. Most with little or no prep on the subject, 110mph is legal and perfectly attainable in the 174bhp T5 in fact manufactures state a max of 117mph. The engine is at its best at 70mph just 2000rpm in 6th gear and right at the top of the torque curve.
Using cruise control maintaining 74mph during motorway driving I would be upset if I didn’t get a return of >38mpg. Exerting more control without using cruise it is not difficult to average much higher figures. One example below is copied from a California chat forum.

Yesterday drove from Asda in Watford to Southend-on-sea pier total 69miles. The iurney involved varied traffic conditions and 4miles of stop-start traffic going into Southend.
Would you believe I recorded 51.8mpg, in fact before the stop start bit I was at 56mpg.
That 51.8 equates to 930 miles to a tank full. I’m going up to Scotland next week please don’t let me be tempted by that challenge I just want to stick it in cruise and put my feet up.
Any other 50+s out there.

mikeburke

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Funster No
Brother-in-law's 1995 Swift Kontiki 640, 2.5 TD driving at between 55 - 70 (no measurable differences so I drive at nearer 70).
Approximately 2000 miles and average a fairly consistent 21.6 MPG.

Won't feel so bad when I get the RV I'm trooping around the country looking for.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Me, …..I drive the new Fiat 130 multi jet (2.3) with 3.75 to 3.8 tons....with cruise control on most of the time
I travel at speeds of 90 and 100 km on motorways and speed limits in villages and towns, I have gone up to 110 - 120 and 130 km if and when it was needed .........but not happy or relaxed driving at them speeds.....but the Fiat seems more than happy and seems to have more power in hand…. hills do not present any problem on motorways it seems happy in 5th , but not to happy in 6th gear….going up long inclines………yet in 5th it just keeps pulling and building up, so left in fifth gear with cruise on going up long inclines on motorways it will hold at 100km speed (might drop to 98/99)

It is a smashing motor to drive forwards (shame about reverse)

I always drive with fuel tank brim to half--- filled back up to brim,

The fresh water tank is always full from leaving one site to the other (got caught out once no water on arrival at new site / Aire ) the grey water and cassette always empty on leaving site

I get from 29 to 32 driving at them speeds, and I have tested the last 3 journeys of 3000km...3500km....2895km.
The Fiat has a very comfortable seating and driving position with the arm rests and with the cruise control on a pleasure to drive.
Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
Does anyone know what MPG and speed they can get from there van?

I'm working out so far that I get about 320 miles to a tank which I think works out to be near 20 MPG :cry: Get more when I floor me Subaru::bigsmile: I know journeys differ greatly ect but my journey i'm refering too, was a farly mild affair using motorways mostly going to the coast. And it's fairly flat downhear and I rarely got above 60mph. Think it works out to be 45MPH on average.

I'd love to hear back from all different van ages and engine sizes, aswell as tips and advice.

Mines a 1991 45K on clock and a 2.5 Diesel.

I know there are many differrent things to take into account, like weight in people, performance diesel, amount of water, tyre pressure, the way you drive, weight of batterys, roof boxes ect.

I'm going to get a service and and a new air filter and probally use some diesel additive to see what occurs, I may even look into bio diesel too, due to the cheaper price .

HI
I HAVE 2008 bolero 680fb swift...been to France 3 times (south coast,Alps, and south coast again).. 2.3 turbo (ducato ) average as per onboard computor was 32.4mpg.
Driving around Poole Dorset (hometown) the average is 29.2mpg..
Mikeange

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
mpg

i don't really bother about mpg you have to put the stuff in.
but it's okay to keep an eye on things.
just come back from 3,500 miles on continent and averaged just under 26mpg.
top speed well i don't know but i've had her up to 90 mph and felt loads in reserve,
it pulls like a train and the hills on the a75 it was still in 6th gear in the cruise.
exellent engine.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I'm working out so far that I get about 320 miles to a tank which I think works out to be near 20 MPG :cry: Get more when I floor me Subaru::bigsmile: I know journeys differ greatly ect but my journey i'm refering too, was a farly mild affair using motorways mostly going to the coast. And it's fairly flat downhear and I rarely got above 60mph. Think it works out to be 45MPH on average.

I'd love to hear back from all different van ages and engine sizes, aswell as tips and advice.

I know there are many differrent things to take into account, like weight in people, performance diesel, amount of water, tyre pressure, the way you drive, weight of batterys, roof boxes ect.

I'm going to get a service and and a new air filter and probally use some diesel additive to see what occurs, I may even look into bio diesel too, due to the cheaper price .

Hi James uk...this Mel fr (France) born in Doncaster lived in Bridlington now live in France

Mine.... is the latest Fiat model it called the Fiat 130 multi jet 2.3 diesels Year 2008 with the McLouis steel motorhome model low profile 6.8 ..6.9 meters long fully loaded approx 3.8 tons.
I run with full tank of diesel (to the brim) to half tank and then back to full brim every time,
I also run with a full tank of water 110ltr every time. ...but with a empty grey water tank.
I have had a retro cruise control fitted, so most of the time I am running on cruise
Mpg... I get from 29 to 32.......most of the time it is 31-32 mpg
I am quite heavy when on the foot......when on cruise I stick to speed limits 50km in villages...90km on normal roads.....and 100 km...110 km on motorways....have been up to 120km lots of time (with what seems lots of power left at the top end) when necessary...the Fiat has plenty of speed and a very good acceleration....but as you know they have a problem with reverse they judder...the reverse gear seems to high and to fast in reverse so to slow it down you have slip the clutch and with weight on it judders a little.
The first gear is a touch on the low/slow side....the first gear would have better changed with the reverse gear !!!!!!!?????
It has 6 forward gears.
It is a smashing motor to drive forwards and very relaxing and easy, but a pain in reverse
Mel

sorry did not realise I had already replied...I put it down to my old age ....senile

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm working out so far that I get about 320 miles to a tank which I think works out to be near 20 MPG :cry: And it's fairly flat downhear and I rarely got above 60mph. Think it works out to be 45MPH on average.
I'd love to hear back from all different van ages and engine sizes. Mines a 1991 45K on clock and a 2.5 Diesel.

I thought that I would share a few pic's. I drove to the lakes last week and after 320 miles of very mixed driving I took some pic's of my trip recorder and fuel tank level. When I filled the calculation proved pretty similar to my trip readings. These are not unusual figures 800 miles to the tank is not impossible.
Pic one trip mpg
Pic two miles travelled
Pic three miles left in tank.:Smile:

Attachments

• lakes trip 029.jpg
    lakes trip 029.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 61
  • lakes trip 024.jpg
    lakes trip 024.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 56
  • lakes trip 023.jpg
    lakes trip 023.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 53

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I would love one of those MPG Display unit thingy's.

Like some others I cant be bothered calculating MPG. What difference is it going to make other than depress me. I have to have the fuel I need and thats that.

I'm forever filling with different quantaties of fuel at different tank fuel levels at different points of clocked mileage and so it all becomes a bit of a lottery.

Surley everybody must know what will increase/decrease fuel consumption and so it is what it is.

I have a 6.8 Litre V10 and at a guess I would say about 12.5 MPG driving between 55 - 60 MPH.

The speedo will jump off the clock when requested but it very rarley is, only when I need to get out of trouble.

All that said I do like the MPG Meter.

Jim
:Smile:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Had the same thoughts earlier in the year and this is what I came up with.

Miles Per Gallon

Taken at the last 5 refills. Speeds of an average 60 Mph.

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I would have liked the onboard info, I thought it was a standard fitting on the Renault Master & mine being the top spec for the engine I expected it to be on but sadly I found out it wasn't. :cry: I know that live MPG is only estimated on how you are driving at the time but I would think it would help to see how best to drive for economy.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Incidentally, some one asked about Acetone on another thread, The first 4 readings are with Acetone the last one without. Coincidence or what?:Blush:

Don

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I would have liked the onboard info, I thought it was a standard fitting on the Renault Master & mine being the top spec for the engine I expected it to be on but sadly I found out it wasn't. :cry: I know that live MPG is only estimated on how you are driving at the time but I would think it would help to see how best to drive for economy.

Hi Ed Ive just been looking at one on the web. It ships from the states for about £60.00. It shows instant MPG,average MPG and trip MPG. It looks quite smart and so I may be having a new toy for Chritmas.

Cant find any in the uk though.

Jim
:Smile:

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
mpg etc

My vehicle is a Suntor 590RS, 2003 model with 2.3 diesel engine. It was doing around 27mph until I had the engine re-mapped and a cruise control fitted. At average speed of 55 I now regularly get 33mpg - that is fully loaded with vehicle upgrade to 3750Kg (from 3400) and a scooter on the back. Last year on a trip (downwind) to Dover - 300miles- we got 34.5mpg. Very pleased with the extras I had fitted. Sorry for such a late response - only just seen the thread.
Arthur.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
trip computers.......waste of time.

they work on an average analysis.
floor the pedal and it will show galls per mile for a second or two then take yer foot off on a long downhill and it will show 238574miles per gall.
then it'll take an average which is nothing like reality.
most of these things work on a fuel flow sensor, manifold vacuum on a petrol, and engine speed with a bit of giggery pokery with the ecu.
or the modern one may work on the ecu alone.
about as accurate as a fresh water gauge.

i remember a TG stunt when clarkson ran out of fuel at watford gap according to the trip 'puter on a Jag but got to blackpool before running out in reality.

theres no substitute for simple mathamatics..miles travelled divided by fuel used in liters gives an accurate, none electronic, calculation.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
i find that extemely hard to believe Buttons.
clip_image002.gif

i cant find your specific van but the 174ps 2.5tdi engine is fitted to the Touareg which is lighter than your van and a much smaller frontal area (wind resistance)and that has a manufacturers fuel consumption figure of just 28mpg combined cycle. incidently, where in europe is there a legal max speed of 176kph (110mph)even germany has speed limits (100kph open road, 50kph town) except on autobahns where there is no speed limit
A California and a Touareg are completely different vehicles, how can you compare a Chelsea tractor with a California. You then go on to ask where in Europe can you legally travel at 110mph. Well done pappajohn, you have given yourself the correct answer. :Doh:

I'm inclined to agree with Pappajohn. As stated in my post , my 5 cylinder VW 2.5TDI would never exceed 30 mpg driven at or near the legal limit, and as for 110 mph??
clip_image003.gif
It would get close to 100mph, but it was making more revs than an old Yam FS1E, and sounded nearly as bad!!
Was it an ex post office van with 300k on the clock. If you want to debate this savantuk you will have to come back with more information.

trip computers.......waste of time.
they work on an average analysis.floor the pedal and it will show galls per mile for a second or two then take yer foot off on a long downhill and it will show 238574miles per gall.then it'll take an average which is nothing like reality.
most of these things work on a fuel flow sensor, manifold vacuum on a petrol, and engine speed with a bit of giggery pokery with the ecu. or the modern one may work on the ecu alone. about as accurate as a fresh water gauge.i remember a TG stunt when clarkson ran out of fuel at watford gap according to the trip 'puter on a Jag but got to blackpool before running out in reality.theres no substitute for simple mathamatics..miles travelled divided by fuel used in liters gives an accurate, none electronic, calculation.
You’re obviously an expert pappajohn, how could anyone argue with such detail....
"non electronic water gages, Quotes from Clarkson, 238574mpg,, floor the pedal, giggery pokery, foot off on the downhill, average analysis, manifold vacuum, show galls per mile for a second or two, waste of time, divide by fuel used, simple mathematics".

Brilliant stuff pappajohn, certainly makes a mockery of the pictures I posted earlier. All they show is pictorial and secondary evidence.:Eeek:
If I had known of your expertise on the subject, it would have saved me the trouble of posting them,
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

alan wilson

Free Member
Nov 13, 2008
rhyl north wales
Funster No
MH
lowline c class
Exp
3 motorhoming 23 caravanning

You dont say what make you motorhome is I will presume it is a pug or fiat 2.5 in which case you should get around 25 to 27 mpg.the only true way to find your acuate mpg is to brim the tank use it and brim it again work the mpg out by changing the litres to gallons i.e 70 litres divided by 4.5 = 15.55 gallons then divide the trip miles ie 320miles by 15.55 and that gives you the actual mpg so in this case it would be 20.57mpg .The main factor for better mpg is speed 50 to 55 mph will give you the best results but only use good fuel shell and bp are the best there normal fuels have additives added already so you do not need to add any and you will get between 3 to 6 mpg better using there fuels than supermarket fuels that goes for you cars to.I was in the oil industry for 33 years the same with oil use good oil it saves you money in the long run the best on the market for staying in spec for longer and holding the dirt in my oppinion is shell helix semi synthetic and millers you get a better quieter engine better tick over and a cleaner engine.
USING BIO DEISEL WILL MAKE THE ENGINE MORE SLUGGISH AS DOES SUPERMARKET FUEL AND ALSO YOU WILL NOT GET THE MPG .HOPE THAT IS OF HELP TO YOU .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back