MP3 Scooter on EasyLift or MP3 in the Garage? Any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

nar53

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2008
Hi earlier this year, prior to the C19 madness I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on an MP3 Scooter & the UK EasyLift close coupled trailer. Then of course the world went bonkers so I did nowt. We haven't used our camper once this year & we're sorely missing it. But due to mobility problems we keep chewing the fat over changing it. As our teenage son no longer wants to travel with us it seems like time to downsize from our 7mtr profile to probably a 2 berth PVC of some sort, which would enable us to visit places that we cant with our current van. That said, even with a PVC there will be places we can't easily get to so thats where the mp3 comes in. Do we go for a limited space PVC with trailer & scooter or can we find a bigger van with a garage that will take an MP3 scooter? I know there are vans out there that will take a 2 wheel scooter but how about a 3 wheel scooter @ well under 50k?

Cheers...

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I don’t have the van dilema you do, but I am in the process of ordering a Yamaha Tricity and Hydratail, the latter will be modified by the factory to accommodate the three wheel bike. I am just waiting to see what happens to the bike availability and prices to see if I can get a deal...

Have you looked at the Yam option?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
What does the Yam weigh? My MP3 weighs 260kg and the Hydratrail I had wouldn't lift it. WEe have a Dethleffs with a long rear overhang and the scooter stayed where it was while the trailer tried to lift the back of the m/h.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
What does the Yam weigh? My MP3 weighs 260kg and the Hydratrail I had wouldn't lift it. WEe have a Dethleffs with a long rear overhang and the scooter stayed where it was while the trailer tried to lift the back of the m/h.

Yam is 250kg, give or take...

I’ve an RS with a very long rear overhang, so you’re making me a little nervous. My current plan is to jack the bike with a low entry race trolly jack.

Plan B is get my 100kg on the tow bar while the wife operates the bottle jack... 🤣

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
TheTwoOfUs - thinking on it a little more, the Hydratail has a post to the ground that the jack levers against, so I’m not sure why your van lifted rather than the bike??

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Simple mechanics. The post acts as a pivot and the weight of the scooter was greater than the the weight of the overhang. Didn't have a problem when we had the Frankia with a short overhang. With an RS you may not have this problem either. The other thing you may want to consider is that if you arrive at a site perhaps for an overnight stopover and the pitch you are allocated isn't long enough to take your outfit you will have to go through the rigmarole of unloading the scooter as you can't just uncouple it and move it unlike a side loading trailer. And if you want an early start you will then have to load it again before you can get off. I now have an Armitage and I much prefer it. OK you have to be careful when reversing but in the overall scheme of things how much time do you spend going backwards?

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi earlier this year, prior to the C19 madness I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on an MP3 Scooter & the UK EasyLift close coupled trailer. Then of course the world went bonkers so I did nowt. We haven't used our camper once this year & we're sorely missing it. But due to mobility problems we keep chewing the fat over changing it. As our teenage son no longer wants to travel with us it seems like time to downsize from our 7mtr profile to probably a 2 berth PVC of some sort, which would enable us to visit places that we cant with our current van. That said, even with a PVC there will be places we can't easily get to so thats where the mp3 comes in. Do we go for a limited space PVC with trailer & scooter or can we find a bigger van with a garage that will take an MP3 scooter? I know there are vans out there that will take a 2 wheel scooter but how about a 3 wheel scooter @ well under 50k?

Cheers...
Hi there
we are thinking of up grading our little scooter to an m.p.3 . So if you decide to change give me a call . We have a 50 cc which will go on the back of most motohomes as it’s only 95 kg .
our motohome is a tag axels and we can only get up to 200 kg on the back Of ours .aramitage say we have to go to a trail. john.
34F20EEC-C3D1-40D4-80F3-AE8F7D632A0A.jpeg

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
One thing you might not have thought about.

We had a 7mtr motorhome with about 90" behind the rear wheels to where our Hydratrail was bolted.

The Hydratrail with a 2 wheel scooter must have been around another 40".

It's a hell of a swing at the rear end when you are moving about small villages/camp sites etc.

It's easy to bend something if you push it up a kerb sideways and it is a sod on a small site to get on or off your pitch.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I’ve posted this before, if any car-licence-only funsters are thinking about an mp3, get an insurance quote first before commiting

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My first quote was £1250 with a £1250 excess , it got worse or crap cover and I didnt buy one in the end

Sep 18, 2017
N. Lincs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, we have a Piaggio MP3 (300) which fits in the garage of our motorhome - a 2013 Hymer Starline B680. We use a small set of foldable wheelchair ramps and push up into the garage. I’ve done this on my own, but it is easier with two. It’s a cosy fit, but the MP3 locking suspension makes it easier than a two wheel bike or scooter would be.

The Starline model is on a Mercedes chassis with 4 wheels on back axle giving the necessary payload. Note the same 2013 Starline B690 has a smaller garage door so is not suitable. There are many other mohos on this chassis, just check the garage size and payload is sufficient for your needs.

Regarding insurance, I was initially insured to ride on a car license with Carole Nash brokers - can't remember the exact cost, but it was less than £150.

Hope this helps.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Just renewed with Carole Nash for MP3 500cc on a car license, £330 (last year £294), been with them for 8 years, in 2014 with 2 years No Claims I paid £223. The policy includes UK/EU Breakdown Cover and Legal.

Small print does say it has to be kept in a garage (or other secure building) when at home.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Why wouldnt you just get an Xmax/Tmax? a lot lighter and simpler. Do you often ride it in the rain? we don't. Very happy owner of 300cc Sport city cube (in the garage) but could be tempted by an X max

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Why wouldnt you just get an Xmax/Tmax? a lot lighter and simpler. Do you often ride it in the rain? we don't. Very happy owner of 300cc Sport city cube (in the garage) but could be tempted by an X max

In my case I’m not the holder of a bike licence.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Just renewed with Carole Nash for MP3 500cc on a car license, £330 (last year £294), been with them for 8 years, in 2014 with 2 years No Claims I paid £223. The policy includes UK/EU Breakdown Cover and Legal.

Small print does say it has to be kept in a garage (or other secure building) when at home.
Have you had many claims since ‘14?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
In my case I’m not the holder of a bike licence.
I didnt realise this anomaly existed, it was changed in 2013 and for good reason IMO.

Riding a motorcycle ( which these clearly are) with a pillion ( usually the beloved ) is a big responsibility. You are more likely to have a motorcycle type accident on one and they will not perform like a car in a collision.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I didnt realise this anomaly existed, it was changed in 2013 and for good reason IMO.

Riding a motorcycle ( which these clearly are) with a pillion ( usually the beloved ) is a big responsibility. You are more likely to have a motorcycle type accident on one and they will not perform like a car in a collision.

Very valid points you make Sir, but as with everything in life, one can’t assume. In my case experience and licence entitlement don’t necessarily correlate...

I will be a very sensible rider and I am fully aware of my experience and the limitations that brings.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Very valid points you make Sir, but as with everything in life, one can’t assume. In my case experience and licence entitlement don’t necessarily correlate...

I will be a very sensible rider and I am fully aware of my experience and the limitations that brings.
Apologies, rereading this it was a lot more brusque than I intended, I was so flabbergasted by it that I had to google it to see if it was correct.

Jon

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Before you buy check out that it complies with the requirements to able to be driven on a car licence. Front wheels have to be a minimum of 450mm centres and it has to have a hand brake (not just a brake lever).

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Before you buy check out that it complies with the requirements to able to be driven on a car licence. Front wheels have to be a minimum of 450mm centres and it has to have a hand brake (not just a brake lever).

The Yam Tricity has foot brake, 460mm centres and a parking brake and is marketed as car licence compatible, as long as over 21.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
I haven’t bought it yet. Going to be transported on an Easylifter Hydratail!

Good for you and good luck. May I ask the cost of the adapted Hydratail? We were thinking about a 300cc scooter in the garage, but cannot do bike test yet owing to Covid (passed my CBT in July) so thinking that the Trinity / Hydra combo would be a great idea and save our garage payload 😁

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Good for you and good luck. May I ask the cost of the adapted Hydratail? We were thinking about a 300cc scooter in the garage, but cannot do bike test yet owing to Covid (passed my CBT in July) so thinking that the Trinity / Hydra combo would be a great idea and save our garage payload 😁

Thanks for the good wishes. £1500 for the Hydratail with two extra channels for the wheels.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I’ve posted this before, if any car-licence-only funsters are thinking about an mp3, get an insurance quote first before commiting
Quite agree with you. I had same issue. we sorted the bike,but insurance was stupid as long as you told the truth. Basically I tried all insurance dealers when I said riding on a car licence up went the quote or wouldn't quote even though I am legally allowed to ride it.
Dealer even had trouble. I was told to say I had a suitable licence not a car licence. I would not agree to this. when I basically lied I got cheap quotes and was told by the dealer that's what you have to do. I did get quotes by saying suitable licence for the vehicle. they then refused me when I stated car licence. As I drive as part of my job I can't risk it and we never bought.
I'd be very careful and explain fully to the insurance brokers what it is and your licence.

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
As an AIM motorcycle instructor (called observers) i do believe MP3 type vehicles are safer. according to statistics over 70% of motorcycle accidents do not involve another vehicle in the cause. In other words, someone running wide on a left handed bend and hitting an oncoming car. The cause of the accident wasn’t the other car...it was the rider not knowing how to corner effectively and safely.

My wife has and MP3 Yourban....a great piece of kit (for sale by the way and in the classifieds soon), the road holding and ability to corner without the front sliding out is astonishing. However, a car hitting you as they pull out of a T junction will do just as much damage regardless. Therefore, my strong advice is that if you do not have a bike licence to at least do a basic CBT course on a 125cc. You will get very good and necessary training. If you take the test and pass your insurance cost will reduce dramatically....reason being you are much less likely to cause or be involved in an accident. It’s easy really, high insurance costs are there based on statistics!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back