LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Went to the Ace cafe today, had breakfast and then moved on to High Beach in Epping, about 200 miles in total as we came back through some lovely twisty roads

1) It certainly keeps up with motorway traffic ( easily ) though it does not accelerate particularly well !
2) At motorway speeds it is not exactly economic, average 42mpg, and with a tank only 14ltrs in size that could be a problem on the continent !
3) The suspension is...shall we say on the firm side . I think my kidneys are on the A1368 in Essex .....
4) Brakes started off feeling awful.. but by the end of the ride they had bedded in nicely and had quite good stopping power
5) It rained ( hard ) for about 10 minutes.. amazingly I stayed bone dry.. The only water that landed on me was on my bash hat, and then not a lot
6) Riding position.. Too early to make a meaningful comment as it takes time and a couple of thousand miles for the body to get used to any new bike, but I did have a back ache after about 150 miles or so.
7) The seat.. after about 60 miles it started to get uncomfortable.. And I LIKE hard seats .. To my mind it is poorly shaped, far too narrow at the front, which means more pressure on the coccyx and upper bum cheeks
Though again its early to pass judgement really.... though as soon as I got home I fitted my sheepskin seat cover
8) Lighting. the headlights are more than adequate as is the tail light, but the indicators are 'on trend'.. small and LED. How effective they are remains to be seen, but they are almost identical to those fitted on the 1200 GS and they are ok, so perhaps I am worrying over bugger all
9) Handling... Considering it is basically a scooter with small wheels it was quite a revelation and felt sure footed and planted. In fact it was TOO easy to forget what I was riding and had to reign it in on the twisty back roads inn case I over cooked it.. No, I could not keep up the the three 1200 GS LC's I was riding with, but that was power related not cornering.. In fact I had the advantage one time ( only one time ) when the apex of a sweeper turned in to gravel.. The 3 wheels came in to play and I barely felt a slip, the others had a bit of a brown trouser moment :)

What do I think after the longer test ride ..
For me it should REALLY have a bigger tank..
The seat could definitely be wider
Power delivery was good and just about adequate. I should think much above 70(ish ahem ) it would be gutless
While we took in an old runway ( that is my story and sticking to it ) I did see 105mph on the speedo so maybe a genuine 90mph )

But over all ? Yes.. I am happy enough with it and will be using it to go to Lake Garda ( though not in a day like on the Bird !)

Would I recommend a 500 MP3 Sport?
Not if you still comfortable riding and manoeuvring a 'normal' bike at standstill..
But for me, due to age and a brain fart leaving my right side a bit weak, it has extended by ability to ride for a few years . No problem riding anything, but once stopped I knew I was a liability ..Mates were happy to help and move my bike around for me, but no matter what they said I felt it was an imposition .. The MP3 has completely removed that issue. stop, lock the suspension and just wheel it about without any fear of dropping it.
If like me, you have possible issues when manoeuvring but want to carry on doing what you want to do, then yes.. go for it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
run.gif
John Racing Osama
run.gif

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Thank you. Food for thought.
Vic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Nice one, Keep us updated (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got to go over to Cambridge tomorrow to pick up a load of PCBs I have had made so another 80 miles on it then....
Be interesting to see how it feels with the fleece on the seat

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The fleece was good... and bad.
Good in that eliminated the numb bum syndrome completely.. Bad in that it exacerbated the back issue for some reason.. No idea why but within 50 miles my back felt it..
The issue is ( I believe ) the seat squab is either dead flat ( as in horizontal ) or pitched very slightly forward.. I will try and get a wedge of hard foam cut that is slightly thicker at the front and see how that works out
If it works I will get the seat custom profiled

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had thought about 1 for Mrs. EX. Can it be ridden on a car licence, as it's 3 wheels?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Jaws Is the rear suspension adjustable on the MP3 , it was on my Burgman , made quite difference whether solo or 2 up ?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I had thought about 1 for Mrs. EX. Can it be ridden on a car licence, as it's 3 wheels?
Yes it can and far cheaper than a divorce.

Not all of them can be (in fact most of them can’t), I believe it’s only those with an LT model designation.

Only the ones with front wheel centres 400mm+.

Yes, I believe that it might be 460mm centres.

This aspect of the three wheelers is perhaps reminiscent of MH payloads - go in with open eyes!

Ian

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Not all of them can be (in fact most of them can’t), I believe it’s only those with an LT model designation.

Yes, I believe that it might be 460mm centres.

This aspect of the three wheelers is perhaps reminiscent of MH payloads - go in with open eyes!

Ian
Yes the Business and Sport (500cc) are 460mm centres and can be ridden on car licences. As I've posted previously, when they are 3 years old they have to have the MOT at a 3-wheeler test centre, not a bike test centre.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jaws Is the rear suspension adjustable on the MP3 , it was on my Burgman , made quite difference whether solo or 2 up ?
Yes, as mentioned my TheTwoOfus :)

They are adjustable but a bit finnicky to do.
To be fair, I do not think it is much worse than a lot of other bikes... The Blackbird is a good example, it is easier to whip the shock off to set it up than do it on the bike !

Could you have a larger fuel tank made?
Not really, it is under the floor and would require quite a bit of modifying to say the least ..Good thought though :)

Nice thinking, but, two jerrycans on carries on the front, how cool would that be ?
Sod that !he bloody thing is unwieldy enough as it is !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
YouTube just offered me this.......

I agree with most of what he said, but that is an old model,,, they have had two revisions since then Brian.. The front is different ( now has mudguards instead of spats, and the back is different too.
The engine has a tiny bit more oomph and the left hand side casings are prettier

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back