Moving from covered storage to uncovered , advice please (1 Viewer)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
New storage is much closer and way way cheaper , any advice / guidance please .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not really sure what type of advice you're looking for .....

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
In my experience vans fare better outside as usually interior storage is in barns with bird poo and dust settling on the van. Outside the rain washes off most contamination. For peace of mind a good clean and coat of wax to give a bit of added protection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Type of advice im after ..........

Anything that is specific to outdoor storage as opposed to indoor , we use the MH at least every month , 200W solar panel for battery top up .
Do we need to remove the soft furnishings / mattress etc ? Desiccant packs ? That kind of stuff .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, now I see what you want to know ... just leave it with stuff in except perishables and empty the water out whilst there is still a threat of frost; as you have solar it will actually benefit your batteries by it being outside. Ours have always been outside and never had any issues at all with them, never use a dehumidifier or heater just air it occasionally if it's not going to be used for a while, but if you use yours monthly this isn't an issue.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I would suggest spraying the roof with Fenwicks Overwintering, I use it now and don't get all that green mess on the roof, which I did before.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We keep ours on a local farm, outside, where the solar panels can get lots of sunshine! No issues with stuff left inside, except for food, so don't leave anything to attract the meeces! We also put on a German marten deterrent when we leave the Moho, just for peace of mind, and that seems to keep the little beggars away!

Good tip about the Fenwicks Overwintering - we have had a lot of algae build up on our roof, but it's only a matter of an hour or two to clean it off.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
When you say food , do you mean all food ? Cereals in unopened packets. , pasta in Tupperware ? Are closed cupboards mice proof ? Cheers !

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
In my experience vans fare better outside as usually interior storage is in barns with bird poo and dust settling on the van. Outside the rain washes off most contamination. For peace of mind a good clean and coat of wax to give a bit of added protection.
A valid comment, we are in a modern barn, but I now keep dust sheets over the top of the van for the reasons you identify.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
When you say food , do you mean all food ? Cereals in unopened packets. , pasta in Tupperware ? Are closed cupboards mice proof ? Cheers !
Anything in a packet should be taken out, tinned stuff is OK because the mice haven't got the hang of tin openers. Also make sure there aren't any crumbs of food anywhere in the van, spilt sugar is a prime suspect. But this applies if your storing inside or out.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Nothing in the world is Mice proof.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some closed cupboards are largely mouseproof but even high level lockers may have ventilation slots. Low level ones often have spaces around pipes and wires which would allow the beasties access. Cardboard packets are easily chewed through so if you must leave things like breakfast cereal :)sicker:) in then transfer to a strong tupperware type container, though they can chew through those too. Undercover storage can have mice as well of course.
I use a marten repellor and also use a few mouse traps (the humane ones which break their necks rather than trapping them to starve to death)

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Yes, all food should be taken out, for two reasons: Firstly, if it's not there, then it won't attract mice, and secondly, because you might find it's gone out of date by the time you get to open!

I put our marten scarier in the engine compartment, aiming it back along the length of the vehicle underneath. So far, so good (but only about 6 months use so far!). I have a tag on the steering wheel to stop me driving off with it still attached!!

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Sun damage to upholstery should not be a problem, as long as you use the blinds on the East, South, and West aspects.....and the roof transparency blinds. Mind you, the upholstery on our old Moho, a Talbot-based Pilote, some 23 years old was both original and fine, and I don't suppose all previous owners were careful to draw the curtains, but you never know!!

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Recently bought 2 large multi packs of 24 Walkers & put them in the shed for storage. Went to get a packet & found every one had been eaten or 1/2 eaten with the exception of the prawn cocktail ones. Must be something in the smell of even a closed packet! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Anyone advise on covers? I have been pondering this, but discounted on the basis that it would probably cause condensation inside (lack of airflow), but would welcome advice

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Anyone advise on covers? I have been pondering this, but discounted on the basis that it would probably cause condensation inside (lack of airflow), but would welcome advice

The general consensus is that they do more harm than good. Scuffing mostly. Most vans will easily do 20+ years out in all weathers, especially if you keep a bit of polish on them.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The general consensus is that they do more harm than good. Scuffing mostly. Most vans will easily do 20+ years out in all weathers, especially if you keep a bit of polish on them.
Thanks Jim, that's settled the issue for me, and saved me a good few quid in the process (y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Type of advice im after ..........

Anything that is specific to outdoor storage as opposed to indoor , we use the MH at least every month , 200W solar panel for battery top up .
Do we need to remove the soft furnishings / mattress etc ? Desiccant packs ? That kind of stuff .
Nope leave all furnishings as is, don't remove any food, no need to top up the battery it will be fine and make sure you get a cover, they work wonders (y)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

We tried a cover on our caravan when we stored it outside, not only a pain in the backside to put on and take off but the wind on the cover marked the bodywork, never again would I use one.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We tried a cover on our caravan when we stored it outside, not only a pain in the backside to put on and take off but the wind on the cover marked the bodywork, never again would I use one.
Thanks Dave, that settles that one then. Thanks to both you and Jim for the heads up

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Think about sun damage to upholstery (y)
Also think about tension on blinds. Many blinds when shut put tension on spring so if the blind spends a lot of time shut this weakens the spring, resulting in slow or non opening blinds. Also never close a roof blind fully, have it part blind and part insect net. This allows air to circulate across the skylight, if full enclosed heat can build up and damage the skylight even in the UK

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Have to endorse what Jim has said, also add that unless the van is pristine when putting the cover on it will mark the van surface so bad that it will need hours of rectification. Also if not in a sheltered spot the cover will move also causing damage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back