Moving around whilst travelling (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I would suggest that walking around my MH on 'Rattle Patrol' is infinitely less dangerous than being on a bus around here. I often wonder if the free travel pass is worth risking hospitalisation, or whether I shouldn't be a miser, should get the car out and pay for the car park.

Can't fault the service. A bus every 10 mins, with bus stops more or less 1,000m apart. However, DON'T be the last to get on. If you are, BRACE BRACE BRACE! Soon as you have you swiped your card, you are in competition with engine thrust as the driver closes doors, indicates and boots down hard on the gas - all simultaneously!

Lewis Hamilton could learn a thing or two from these guys. They would beat him off pole every time! The only chance you've got of making the relative safety of a seat, is to clock what's happening at the next stop. If there's an 'old' standing there, or better still, a mum and buggy, at least you've got time to sit down.

I've got it wired now; I always head for the top deck. That way, you're surrounded at least by the metal of the staircase. Okay, so you rattle around like a pea in a drum, but at least you can't move very far until you get the chance to go atop and find a seat.

Reaching one's destination is a reversal of the process. Press the bell in good time, then await the discomfort of having your face pressed into a bar whilst the driver attempts re-entry!

How those poor 'Twirlies' do it, I don't know. ('Twirly' is bus driver's slang for the old dears who ask if they are 'Too early' to use their pass). I'm fit, but the 'olds' must come away with at least a few bruises each trip!

Before 'OMO' buses (One Man Operated) became the norm. The olds would be helped on by a nice clippie. No such luck now; plaid shopping trolley or not, these poor sods have to take their chances with the rest of us!

Sorry, I've gone off-message a bit. Now where's that bloody rattle!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do you have these conversations?.......

"Sharp bend to the right coming"
"OK"
"I'm braking"
"OK?"
"I can still hear it"
"Ay?"
"I CAN STILL HEAR IT!"
"It's not the cooker glass lid is it?"
"Ay?"
"IS IT THE COOKER GLASS?"
"No; the packing is still in place"
"Grill or oven?"
"No"
"Blinds?"
"No"

Bloody rattles :mad::mad::mad:

Our usual shout is ...."roundabout !!!!!

Yes we all know we shouldn't but when you need a wee....you need a wee :LOL:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Always find it quite helpfully to drive over cats eyes when Mrs D uses the loo on the move :rolleyes:;)
You ought to try a quick tap on the brakes , then put your foot down,
you've never heard language like it !!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
However, DON'T be the last to get on. If you are, BRACE BRACE BRACE! Soon as you have you swiped your card, you are in competition with engine thrust as the driver closes doors, indicates and boots down hard on the gas - all simultaneously!

Lewis Hamilton could learn a thing or two from these guys. They would beat him off pole every time! The only chance you've got of making the relative safety of a seat, is to clock what's happening at the next stop. If there's an 'old' standing there, or better still, a mum and buggy, at least you've got time to sit down.

I've got it wired now; I always head for the top deck. That way, you're surrounded at least by the metal of the staircase. Okay, so you rattle around like a pea in a drum, but at least you can't move very far until you get the chance to go atop and find a seat.

Reaching one's destination is a reversal of the process. Press the bell in good time, then await the discomfort of having your face pressed into a bar whilst the driver attempts re-entry!

I think this is standard training for bus drivers all over the world:ROFLMAO:

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
The other rattle we have had is when we have gone round the corner, and all the contents of the cupboard or fridge have deposited themselves on the floor because the door hadn't been latched. You think then that you'll leave it until you can find somewhere to pull over and stop, but the door bangs backwards and forwards until the co pilot decides that she can't stand the noise any more and climbs through to the back to clear the mess

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Buses, as opposed to coaches, are designed to have standing passengers hence the hand rails and straps etc. look at th legal writing on the side and it ill tell you just how many "standees" are permitted on each vehicle (bus).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
you can on a coach or a train!

We do all the time! I even prep lunch lol on a nice straight bit of motorway

Yes, Just put it into Cruise and go!;);)(y). Allegedly works with Winnebago`s (or not!)

P.s Urban Myth according to Winnebago!

Pete

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
bus drivers, the law says let the bus pull out, sod that, if you do they drive at 10mph cos there too early for the route.
happens all the time near me, they park at side of road waiting for there timing,
no signals most of them, just pull out in front of you.
well im as big as them now, so sod them, get behind me and they will be late, revenge is sweet

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I believe there are signs on most buses specifically requesting that you don't do that.

I may be wrong, it's been a while since I've been on one.
There are signs on our buses that request that passengers remain seated until the bus stops while at the same time allowing standing passengers.

salthegal10

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
I must confess, I have been known to have a wee going along the motorway or if caught in a traffic jam. I KNOW!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I would suggest that walking around my MH on 'Rattle Patrol' is infinitely less dangerous than being on a bus around here. I often wonder if the free travel pass is worth risking hospitalisation, or whether I shouldn't be a miser, should get the car out and pay for the car park.

Can't fault the service. A bus every 10 mins, with bus stops more or less 1,000m apart. However, DON'T be the last to get on. If you are, BRACE BRACE BRACE! Soon as you have you swiped your card, you are in competition with engine thrust as the driver closes doors, indicates and boots down hard on the gas - all simultaneously!

How those poor 'Twirlies' do it, I don't know. ('Twirly' is bus driver's slang for the old dears who ask if they are 'Too early' to use their pass). I'm fit, but the 'olds' must come away with at least a few bruises each trip!
You've obviously been on the 120 bus in Sheffiedl - exactly my experience:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Before 'OMO' buses (One Man Operated) became the norm. The olds would be helped on by a nice clippie. No such luck now; plaid shopping trolley or not, these poor sods have to take their chances with the rest of us!

Sorry, I've gone off-message a bit. Now where's that bloody rattle!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I must confess, I have been known to have a wee going along the motorway or if caught in a traffic jam. I KNOW!
nobody buy this persons van :Eeek:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
bus drivers, the law says let the bus pull out, sod that, if you do they drive at 10mph cos there too early for the route.
happens all the time near me, they park at side of road waiting for there timing,
no signals most of them, just pull out in front of you.
well im as big as them now, so sod them, get behind me and they will be late, revenge is sweet

One Person, actually tried to Flag me down at a bus top once in the R-V! Mind the look on her face was a picture when I slowed down and then waved back as I passed!.

When I was on the Lorries. I had to use lay-byes or truck stops!.:(:oops: OR the SAS method.

Pete

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Anyone remember this story!!

Winnebago winner?
"This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich.
"Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set.

"The Oklahoma jury awarded her – are you sitting down? – $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home."

Want a new motorhome you know what to do ;)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When you change drivers without stopping, do you find it easier for the driver to step back and the passenger slide over, or vice versa? :)

Anyone remember this story!!

Winnebago winner?

"This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich.
"Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set.

"The Oklahoma jury awarded her – are you sitting down? – $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home."

Want a new motorhome you know what to do ;)

Isn't this this why we get cruise control..? :p

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
me too! just too desperate sometimes. As long as driver shouts "roundabout" or "turning right now" things seem to be ok. Its the braking that causes havoc!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I don't stop to think if something is rattling or a draw crashed open I just tell O.,H not to make any sudden moves while I'm on my feet :ROFLMAO: I have been known to crawl on my hands and knees. !!

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I usually wait for SWMBO to get comfy on the loo, then a quick tug on the wheel and shout RABBIT .... :LOL:
I'm trying to get her to have a shower while on the move:cool:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Do you have these conversations?.......

"Sharp bend to the right coming"
"OK"
"I'm braking"
"OK?"
"I can still hear it"
"Ay?"
"I CAN STILL HEAR IT!"
"It's not the cooker glass lid is it?"
"Ay?"
"IS IT THE COOKER GLASS?"
"No; the packing is still in place"
"Grill or oven?"
"No"
"Blinds?"
"No"

Bloody rattles :mad::mad::mad:

Easy fix, turn the radio up!!!!!!

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Whilst travelling on Spanish motorway last month, MRS PJG went nuts on our travels, as usual I needed 'on the go' feed, good lady gets up and goes back to prepare said nurishmnet. At that particular time motorway heads down hill and bends to right. As we head into bend it appears good lady has just opened fridge, then it all goes to pot from here. Fresh home made soup prepared lovingly for evening snack falls out of fridge explodes all over floor. Sam the dog likes said soup starts running and helping himself, foot prints of soup all over floor. Then cannot stop for 15 K till next junction. Dog will not stop helping himself mess gets worse.
One advantage very quiet journey after clean up
Since said event I go hungry on travels.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Why I thought I would get an intelligent response - Stand fast one or two of you, when I have been on here long enough to know better. :rolleyes: Any how I thought I would cover all bases and use my "Ask the Police" app. This is their answer; bearing in mind I asked as a passenger.

Michael,

This will all depend on the circumstances. If people are moving about in the rear of a vehicle, even if the seat belt legislation does not apply, the driver may commit the offence of carrying passengers in a manner likely to cause danger.

We hope this information is of use.

Regards,
PNLD
(CS)
With the answer now clear as mud - I think I will stick to the Funster's from now on:ROFLMAO:

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Whilst travelling on Spanish motorway last month, MRS PJG went nuts on our travels, as usual I needed 'on the go' feed, good lady gets up and goes back to prepare said nurishmnet. At that particular time motorway heads down hill and bends to right. As we head into bend it appears good lady has just opened fridge, then it all goes to pot from here. Fresh home made soup prepared lovingly for evening snack falls out of fridge explodes all over floor. Sam the dog likes said soup starts running and helping himself, foot prints of soup all over floor. Then cannot stop for 15 K till next junction. Dog will not stop helping himself mess gets worse.
One advantage very quiet journey after clean up
Since said event I go hungry on travels.

This reminded me of the time we were travelling through France in our Kon~Tiki the road was rough and bumpy, I used to store tins in the narrow rounded centre cupboard that pulled out , well all of a sudden it flew out into the isle , because of the flimsy plastic clip that held it shut, it had come totally adrift, !! I shot into the middle of the van Im sat on the floor supporting this thing that was heavier than me probably until O.H could find somewhere to stop , where I had to empty the lot somewhere safe until we reached our destination. He replaced the plastic with a metal one that he made himself on site , thankfully it never happened again while we had it anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back