Moving around a moving motorhome (1 Viewer)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I do it, usually it’s either the dogs water bowl, the fridge or the huge cutlery drawer that tries to Join us in the front of the van if we stop a bit quicker than norm!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Sorry, we're boring. Joolz rarely unbelts when we're driving. And if she does, it's only when we're at lights or crawling in traffic. She has found that if she loosens her belt all the way, she can reach the fridge...

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Well I am surprised that no one has confessed to popping into the back of the MH for sex whilst on the move... :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Indeed it just seems you got to do it!

Whilst travelling on Spanish motorway , MRS PJG went nuts on our travels, as usual I needed 'on the go' feed, good lady gets up and goes back to prepare said nourishment. At that particular time motorway heads down hill and bends to right. As we head into bend it appears good lady has just opened fridge, then it all goes to pot from here. Fresh home made soup prepared lovingly for evening snack falls out of fridge explodes all over floor. Sam the dog likes said soup starts running and helping himself, foot prints of soup all over floor. Then cannot stop for 15 K till next junction. Dog will not stop helping himself mess gets worse.
One advantage very quiet journey after clean up
Since said event I go hungry on travels.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OMG! You lot is very nawty,you is. Just wait till @Minxy Girl comes on here,she’s gonna tell you off,coz she is sensible.
When I suggested it to SWMBO,she told me to stay in the drivers seat...............well,she may have had a point,we were doing about 70’and she doesn’t drive the van.:LOL::LOL:;);)
Why pick on me! :D You haven't been in our MH when hubby's driving but it's not something I'd do lightly as I don't like to be bruised and get thrown around! :LOL:

I may be sensible but I'm also practical too ... if the shower tambour door is sliding around, or the cupboard, drawer or whatever else decides to have a bid for freedom, then someone's gotta go and sort them out and as hubby does the vast majority of the driving it's me. :rolleyes:

We do get an 'early warning' that somethings not quite right though as our Tazzy suddenly runs to the front of the camper and stares backwards so we usually know and can stop and sort it before it becomes a flight risk! :D

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Bottom kitchen drawer flew right out, on our Travels , now have a list of checks that is kept in Fiat righthand cubby hole , to right of Dash

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
One US advantage, The Major Interstates and even many non I`s, have long straightish sections, which makes such "antics" tolerable. But we did do it on a "hurry up" trip to the land of haggis, on the A1, that was more "interesting:D2". But the "polish shuffle" has not been attempted!:D2

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Why pick on me! :D You haven't been in our MH when hubby's driving but it's not something I'd do lightly as I don't like to be bruised and get thrown around! :LOL:

I may be sensible but I'm also practical too ... if the shower tambour door is sliding around, or the cupboard, drawer or whatever else decides to have a bid for freedom, then someone's gotta go and sort them out and as hubby does the vast majority of the driving it's me. :rolleyes:

We do get an 'early warning' that somethings not quite right though as our Tazzy suddenly runs to the front of the camper and stares backwards so we usually know and can stop and sort it before it becomes a flight risk! :D
Oh well,you’re obviously naughtier than I thought,I like that!! I had you down as a “paragon of virtue”!;););):D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Illegal?. Not actually sure?. Not recommended perhaps. People on coach trips move about. And use the Toilet facilities, are served drinks.?. We used the facilities on our R-V. "on the move". And when we had 2 drivers we both made full use of the kitchen, made tea and coffee etc. We only actually stopped to change driver.
It's illegal in anything other than coach for which exceptions apply.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It's illegal in anything other than coach for which exceptions apply.

Interesting, Something I have never seen in writing?.

And cannot find online?. Any Idea`s?.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Interesting, Something I have never seen in writing?.

And cannot find online?. Any Idea`s?.
I think the seat belt laws cover it but a specific reference is hard to find. I suspect the only references will be to coaches (where you can). Motorhomes probably haven't been noticed.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
As I’ve got older and cut down on the Bacon sandwiches she’s stopped frying whilst on the move,however,she continues to catch up on the ironing taking advantage of the alternator pushing plenty of amps To the Batteries and inverter(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think the seat belt laws cover it but a specific reference is hard to find. I suspect the only references will be to coaches (where you can). Motorhomes probably haven't been noticed.

I cannot find any reference to a specific rule on movement in Coaches and or other vehicles?. Lots of reference to the use of seat belts "where fitted". Ie; trucks older than a certain year, if not fitted. The first of my R-V`s did not have them, and the MOT tester had to check with DVLA as to IF I had to fit them, The answer was no. Which was just as well as the potential attachment points where not substantial enough anyway.

As an aside, My Triumph has the attachment points, but If I do not fit them it is not an MOT fail as it is 48years old.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

So it's not illegal then! Perhaps check the facts before posting a definitive statement.

We get up and move around the vehicle and have had no problems doing so at all.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I cannot find any reference to a specific rule on movement in Coaches and or other vehicles?.
Nor can I. I've read a couple of coach operator publicatios aimed at their passengers but that's all. They only make reference to returning to seats & using the belts as soon as possible after using on-board facilities. All I'm aware of is that there are obviously different seat belt & movement rules for coaches and cars. How any of this relates to motorhomes or even if it does at all is totally unclear - like most things motorhome. I based my original statement on the law on use of belts but now I'm even less clear on their use in motorhomes when the 'need' to leave ones seat arises. I think we'll have to agree to remain confused:D.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
So it's not illegal then! Perhaps check the facts before posting a definitive statement.

I'm still totally convinced it is illegal and that if spotted by one of our invisible Traffic Police a prosecution would result. We also do it - well one of us does. And I have three unrestrained dogs :D.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations. Using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition likely to cause a danger of injury to persons in or on the vehicle, or to other road users, due to the manner in which passengers are being carried.

It would also fall within the definition of dangerous driving in the event of an incident resulting in injury to the passenger, as well as (possibly quite substantially) reducing any compensation or injury award that might otherwise be payable.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
There are very few journeys where I don't make at least one trip down the back for something: to get a drink, switch the fridge to battery, close a cupboard, etc...

You're probably correct that there is no specific law against moving around in a moving motorhome - so technically that in itself is not illegal.

But it is illegal to not wear a seatbelt in a moving vehicle where seatbelts are fitted. So I suppose it would be totally legal to move around in your moving motorhome so long as you're still wearing your seatbelt. Which is obviously totally impractical. So moving around in a moving motorhome is in effect illegal because in order to do so you need to remove your seatbelt.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Have done it but avoid now if possible ! Emergencies only since aFrench friend was stopped and fined !! Wife got up and sadly there was a radar check ahead !!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s not a practice, we habitually use as I would rather stop and make use of whatever facility at leisure, however I also see no issue with it. As regards it`s legality,? I suspect like the "A" frame until it is tested in law, it will remain a "grey area".

This was the case with towing "dolly's", until a Motor Dealer was convicted of it`s use, at which time it was "Established" that "the practice was ONLY legal for the recovery of a disabled vehicle." He was convicted and fined because there was nothing wrong with the vehicle, he was taking it from Auction to his place of business. And this had been his practice for several years, before some (idiot) plod decided to "pull" him. and make a name for himself!.

In real life, they are a safer alternative to the "A" frame and or a Trailer. And are much in evidence in the USA, where of course they have far less of the "Stupid" rules, like mandatory AGE related medicals.

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
Lots to be done whilst on the move. Though I haven't mastered flipping pancakes yet.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It`s not a practice, we habitually use as I would rather stop and make use of whatever facility at leisure, however I also see no issue with it. As regards it`s legality,? I suspect like the "A" frame until it is tested in law, it will remain a "grey area".

No grey area at all. I posted the facts regarding the illegality above. During many years of crewing a "Jam sandwich" I and my colleagues have reported or issued tickets to a number of drivers in such circumstances.

There are actually two similar offences, the one under the Construction & Use Regs that I mentioned, which is non-endorsable, and an almost identically worded offence under the Road Traffic Act, which is endorsable.

The key point is "having regard to the manner in which persons are carried" although the offences also cover vehicle defects and the manner in which loads are carried if it is likely that they too could also result in injury to persons in or on the vehicle, or otherwise using the road.

The occupant is clearly not restrained by the seat belt provided for that purpose and if you don't think it is dangerous the prosecutor would likely ask you how you were preventing the unrestrained and unseated occupant from continuing through the windscreen at the speed of the vehicle in the event of a collision or other sudden emergency, the momentum propelling them with a mass several times their own body weight and possibly killing or injuring the driver (you) on the way through!

In the event that you were involved in an incident that resulted in death or injury to the improperly carried occupant, the circumstances would be good evidence for an offence of causing death or injury by either careless or dangerous driving too.

And yes when we have forgotten to secure the fridge or a cupboard door before setting off, on a couple of occasions my wife has done it too, so I'm not preaching as holier than though, just stating the facts!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back