Movie and TV download sites...should we? (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've just come across without hardly even looking...another very slick looking movie and TV streaming or downloading site called 'Fmovies'. Has all the latest films and TV programs in what appears to be excellent quality.

What's the score or opinion on these sites? I can remember quite a few years ago all the fuss about music file sharing sites, most of which I seem to recall had legal action taken on them resulting on most if not all being shut down.

But there seems to be a huge number of these movie and tv sites out there at the moment...Showbox being another. Should we use them? Is it illegal to watch them? Are we destroying the movie industry...I can still remember the scary warning on the old Videos...FACT!

I've heard it's ok to watch...streaming but not download? But that sounds frankly daft!

Whats the thoughts people?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it's free or costs very little then I think you can assume it's illegal. If your paranoid (or should that be "sensible"?) then you might like to consider if it originates from say North Korea and while it is talking to your device what other things is it doing in the background?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Never heard of them before.. had a look.. they don't host movies,

They say they are only a search engine that links to movies already hosted.. whether the linked movies are legally hosted is another matter..

FMovies FAQ

1. Is it legal to watch movies on fmovies.to ?
    Absolutely, Watching is totally legal. We also do not host the movies, we link to them.

Disclaimer: This site does not store any files on its server. All contents are provided by non-affiliated third parties

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We used Showbox for ages but it doesn't work now so we use Cartoonhd instead.
Watched Eye In The Sky and the final episode of Hell On Wheels last night.
It was that or football.:eek:
Mobdro is good for live tv also.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are we destroying the movie industry...

Whats the thoughts people?

It's a changing world but the bottom line is, if no-one pays to watch entertainment how do they get paid ? On TV we get 7 mins entertainment then 5 mins adverts, so we pay via the advertising route.

For movies it looks like the revenue is by people sitting in a dark hall eating vast quantities of stinking popcorn and texting. But will that last in the changing world ?

Music is more fragile, not many people sit in dark halls listening, possibly because no popcorn available.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
http://fmovies.to is where I'm currently having a look
yes. that is where I got the info from for my post ..

Disclaimer: This site does not store any files on its server. All contents are provided by non-affiliated third parties.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
yes. that is where I got the info from for my post ..

Disclaimer: This site does not store any files on its server. All contents are provided by non-affiliated third parties.

Yes, sorry I hadn't read it properly or particularly noticed how the site worked...looking again I can see!

Like my Dad used to remind me; measure twice cut once!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I'm a bit thick on matters relating to PC's so excuse this sounding a bit dum but just how much of a risk of virus or other scam infection etc are you if streaming or downloading? Having just forked out on MacBook Air, which is without a doubt the best laptop we've ever had...I don't want to be putting it at any risk.

Is the risk any greater than any activity on the internet?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I'm a bit thick on matters relating to PC's so excuse this sounding a bit dum but just how much of a risk of virus or other scam infection etc are you if streaming or downloading? Having just forked out on MacBook Air, which is without a doubt the best laptop we've ever had...I don't want to be putting it at any risk.

Absolutely. Think of it as a normal town. If you go to a department store - Amazon etc then you are pretty safe, go to the market (fleabay) and you are not so safe (scams etc.), go to the dodgy end of town - torrent and streaming sites (free) and at some point you'll probably catch an STD ;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Glad you have bought a Macbook. Will be round for tuition on mine when we get out to Benidorm..Had mine 5 years and still a novice.,,,,BUSBY:D:D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Never heard of them before.. had a look.. they don't host movies,

They say they are only a search engine that links to movies already hosted.. whether the linked movies are legally hosted is another matter..

FMovies FAQ

1. Is it legal to watch movies on fmovies.to ?
    Absolutely, Watching is totally legal. We also do not host the movies, we link to them.

Disclaimer: This site does not store any files on its server. All contents are provided by non-affiliated third parties

This is an old thread

The above is in part true, the person downloading (but never file sharing) is not committing any offence under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988

The part that is total and utter boll*cks is the second part. Even linking to infringing content is a serious criminal offence under Sections 20 and 296ZB of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988

Penalty 4 years in prison https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/aug/14/pirate-website-owner-four-years They are now talking about filesharing penalties of up to 10 years http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/04/uk-file-sharing-10-years-jail-time/

A lot of the ads on such websites do not comply with accepted standards (used because they pay higher rates and aren't fussy about the legality of the websites on which they appear: http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-polic...ad-hijacking-tech-on-alleged-piracy-websites/ Adblocker is usually no good, as the site will block you

So NEVER use P2P (filesharing) websites, never "distribute" copies of any content you have downloaded (even lending) and try to be a little discrete. Otherwise you just might need my services to help your defence, and I wouldn't take any Apple product in lieu of my fees:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back