Movement Sensors Does Not Cost As Much As You Think (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As I see it , she wasn't asking for advice, just came on to tell us what swift and us should be doing on account of HER not looking in the mirror!
The lady in question clearly stated her other half was driving, she cannot be held responsible for her partners lack of experience. To my mind she hoped to help others from having the same problems and at the same time let off a bit of steam, been there and got the Teeshirt. Newbies are easily put off by some of the scathing remarks they get before knowing the personalities of the posters, they only have the written word to go on.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The lady in question clearly stated her other half was driving, she cannot be held responsible for her partners lack of experience. To my mind she hoped to help others from having the same problems and at the same time let off a bit of steam, been there and got the Teeshirt. Newbies are easily put off by some of the scathing remarks they get before knowing the personalities of the posters, they only have the written word to go on.
Whenever we are in a tight spot Julie gets out and has a look what's happening, which the op could have done, you don't even need common sense to think of that one

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's funny how many of the people posting suggestions that anyone who doesn't agree with the OP is a "deluded bully" haven't bothered to read the first sentence of the post. The only reason he or she joined was to post that rant. I don't think they were particularly interested in responses, positive or not.

Just to add my opinion, the fact that they said that once they touched the car they continued to scrape all the way along it suggests that whoever it is can't drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I can both empathise and sympathise with the OP having done similar in 2009 when trying to put our 'new to us' MH into our drive on my own.
The comments from the Forum made me realise that I needed to exercise far more care driving a large vehicle which was a major investment for us than when I was driving a car.
I did not feel that I was being bullied or chastised by a self right-righteous clique.
I am saddened by some of the posts in this thread-they are reminiscent of posts that I read on 'The Dark Side' (Facts) which influenced me to join this forum.
I do hope we are not going the same way.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
during the timeline of this thread I have regularly gone right back to the beginning to recheck what I first read in the OP, probably being one of those now being 'told off' for not being sympathetic

IMO the OP came in blaming the world for what was a silly error of judgement, albeit they said it was their fault, possibly an exaggerated example of post purchase disappointment

surely the spec of the MH would have been more than obvious when they signed up to buy, effectively they had a newer version of their old MH, really only a fraction longer, they would probably have had the same accident in their old MH

I am confident that if I hit anything (having backed into a kerb and a tree recently) the noise would stop me pretty quickly, at least reducing the net damage, but I am still convinced that parking sensors would have turned off when forwards gears were engaged anyway so no alert would have been given, they would just have been £500 worse off

I have now read back through the whole thread and nobody has been (IMO) out of order in their replies, if anything a few of us are now being hounded because the OP has had a hissy, bear this in mind, they had not even bothered paying for the privilege of moaning

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
ust to add my opinion, the fact that they said that once they touched the car they continued to scrape all the way along it suggests that whoever it is can't drive.
Maybe not so. It was a mistake. Plenty of us make them. I made the same mistake and damaged the length of a car door before I had realised I had even hit something. Only takes a few seconds. And yes I consider myself to be a very good driver.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Got caught out on a car park bollard with the rear end swing out in my case in too much of a hurry and raining so swmbo not asked to get out and look.......it probably happens to most sooner or later but its a begger at the time

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah, I've backed into a tree branch, still got the dent:), but didn't keep going after I felt it, for what it's worth, we always reverse into a parking space then if something does happen like getting parked round , at least you are facing forward to come out and if possible we park next to a hedge or if a park with paths , next to them or even trolley parks then at least you have one less side to worry about when coming out and you get more room to manoeuvre

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can understand how gutted you feel.
My daughter has sensors on her car, the ones on the sides as well as the rear. If another vehicle, wall etc.. is too close they still beep so it's difficult to know sometimes which bit is causing the beeping.

Did the same mis-manoeuvre as you years ago. Had driven a new lwb van that had been loaned to me all the way to Prague and back, then clipped a car trying to get out of a parking space in Calais. The two passengers, suppose to be looking out for me, were yacking to each other !

Put it down to experience, big breath, then onwards and upwards.

And don't take any offence---everyone's got a different opinion but no one here bites---honest.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its usefull to pass on tips like that a pity the original replies from some on the forum sounded a bit holier than thou or taking the piss. I'm sure if they met him/her just after the event not many would have pointed out the lack of driving skills or common sense I fly a motor glider there are 2 types of pilot those who had an accident and those still waiting to have one. It helps to hear of other peoples mistakes (in flying you wont live long enough to make them all yourself) but to be wise after the event especially to someones face helps no-one.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've always though that if you don't know where the four corners of your vehicle are you shouldn't really be driving it.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Come on guys, let's just accept that the poor woman was gutted by the experience and just need to get it off her chest. You may not have liked the tone of the post i.e. manufacturer at fault etc, but let's just chalk it down to her being upset by the event. Give her a break, when she had calmed down she would probably accept the experienced comments about sensors etc but didn't really need being 'told'.
We have all said things in the heat of the moment, and when embarrassed it not always easy to accept ones own shortcomings.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It must be pretty awful to slip up and damage something you have invested so much capital in.
I do agree with some posters though that the OP seems to be using the the forum as a vehicle to blame someone else for their misfortune. Swift get enough bad press already without being blamed for every parking accident their vehicles are involved in!
Having said that, I feel the the OP was unnecessarily chastised. It must be fantastic to be so perfect that you can pass such damning judgement on people you don't know.
This thread is not a good example of what our community is all about.:(

Bedouin

Free Member
May 5, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C lass
Exp
Hi all, I am also new to this site but the first thing I did was look round and get a feel of what was on offer read some posts saw some of the banter. Some people have been here a long time and know how each other thinks but my first post would not be to act as if everyone is as naïve as this lady thinks, after all they where not new to mh. I think this is a great site that's why I joined. Regards John.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all, I am also new to this site but the first thing I did was look round and get a feel of what was on offer read some posts saw some of the banter. Some people have been here a long time and know how each other thinks but my first post would not be to act as if everyone is as naïve as this lady thinks, after all they where not new to mh. I think this is a great site that's why I joined. Regards John.
Absolutely, welcome, as I said in an earlier post , if she had just come on and asked if the sensors would be any use in her situation , or even just to tell us what had happened, instead of trying to sell us the idea, no wonder swift never replied to her.
Don't think she ever thought of paying her tenner, just wanted sympathy.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hey, don't come on here using common sense and talking intelligently ;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Hey, don't come on here using common sense and talking intelligently ;)

Yeh! Jim, ban the bu****. Way toooooooo sensible for us lot!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It must be pretty awful to slip up and damage something you have invested so much capital in.
I do agree with some posters though that the OP seems to be using the the forum as a vehicle to blame someone else for their misfortune. Swift get enough bad press already without being blamed for every parking accident their vehicles are involved in!
Having said that, I feel the the OP was unnecessarily chastised. It must be fantastic to be so perfect that you can pass such damning judgement on people you don't know.
This thread is not a good example of what our community is all about.:(
Good post.

I'm certainly not perfect - drove nearly 3k miles round Spain last autumn, arrived home and hit the gatepost. The repair bill meant each of those miles round Spain cost 50p! Ho hum, live and learn, first accident I've had for a couple of decades.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Good post.

I'm certainly not perfect - drove nearly 3k miles round Spain last autumn, arrived home and hit the gatepost. The repair bill meant each of those miles round Spain cost 50p! Ho hum, live and learn, first accident I've had for a couple of decades.

Yours is a good'un too DBk....................Moons ago I reversed my two month old Herald out of one of the bunkers in the SW site in Sennelager where it lived...........straight into a blast wall.................Oh how my boys laughed!:LOL:
One day I'll be perfect too......but not I think in this lifetime. Shame about the OP leaving really.:(

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
What about the poor car owner who has all this inconvenience just because someone has no common sense or rather has no sensors. :pinocchio::doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
5-6 years ago I reversed my Landcruiser straight over a little shiny silver sports car.

I still don't know how I did it.

I also got into a tight squeeze in Spain in the motorhome last year and if my wife hadn't shouted the back of my motorhome would have demolished an ancient church wall.

I found it quite a difference moving from a 7.5m van to an 8m van for some reason.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
5-6 years ago I reversed my Landcruiser straight over a little shiny silver sports car.

I still don't know how I did it.

I also got into a tight squeeze in Spain in the motorhome last year and if my wife hadn't shouted the back of my motorhome would have demolished an ancient church wall.

I found it quite a difference moving from a 7.5m van to an 8m van for some reason.

Its all about common sense they say :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pity she didn't stick with it , she's created one the largest and most controversial threads for a while, even Jim has had to get involved:) if only she had started off differently, but don't think she had any intention of stopping and paying her tenner really.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Pity she didn't stick with it , she's created one the largest and most controversial threads for a while, even Jim has had to get involved:) if only she had started off differently, but don't think she had any intention of stopping and paying her tenner really.

But at least she got it off her chest courtesy of the :eek:Samaritans:eek: wing of Fun. Perhaps she's happy now, I hope so(y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Oh oh! You cannot put emotion in a forum post. Am sure those posts full of knowledge of sticky out bums, we're not being sarcastic, just informative. It's great there is all this experience that people are willing to share. And, I don't think the OPer was trying to teach you all to suck eggs either. She was giving us the benefit of her experience. By 'us'. I mean those of us who have NEVER driven a MH. The biggest thing I have driven was a long wheelbase panel van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back