Movement Sensors Does Not Cost As Much As You Think (1 Viewer)

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
HI
I am not blaming anyone but ourselves, just trying to point out to others, how easy it is to have an accident, as that is what it was. I just think that when fitting these out, with lots of 'bells and whistles' 2 of the most obvious things have been missed off. had we had some on, it would have bleeped and we would have stopped, simple as that. and I am trying to point out to others, that yes, you can have them fitted on, AFTER the van has been built, and cheaply too, which is something I did not know.
Its the first time I have been on this website, and the last, I was trying to help others, I did not ask for any back biting or sarcasm, just trying to help others, from making the same mistake, so hello and good bye is what I am saying. And thank you to Craig for being nice : )

Hi Nadenza,
You have my sympathies and I understand your frustration not only with your accident but with the reactions posted on here.
I have only been reading/posting here for a relatively short time but have found that there
seems to be a self righteous clique who do not give thought to how their sarcasm and comments may adversely affect prospective newcomers to the forum.
However it does make good reading sometimes and once you get past the small mindedness there is a vast amount of information sensible comments, advice and interesting posts available on here.
My advice, for what its worth, persevere and... 'Don't let the 'F'ers get down'
Spud

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Regular reversing sensors ususlly begin detecting at around one meter from an object.

How do you plan on the sensors not detecting while overtaking/being overtaken traffic and in traffic queues plus pedestrians.

Turn them off manually ????

Then forget to turn them on each time !!!

NOT a good idea in my mind.

Satnav......as already said, it will either be cheap rubbish or cost a fortune to update maps.

My car has inbuilt satnav.....and map updates, about one every 5 or 6 years, cost well over £300 hense it still uses 2006 maps with no chance of paying to update.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's an awful thing to happen and I am sure you are not the only one to have done something like this.

Easy to be clever after the event, we use walkie-talkies which seem to work well, the driver has their's on the shelf under the dash switched on so they can hear and the person directing talks them back, forward and right and left. Not foolproof but at least the shout of "stop stop stop" can be heard! Ours were cheapies from Aldi and well worth the money.

My Dad has reversing sensors on his car and I don't like the ones he has. Our cousin in the US also has them but his are linked to wide view rear cameras with distance indicator and is much better.

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
It's an awful thing to happen and I am sure you are not the only one to have done something like this.

Easy to be clever after the event, we use walkie-talkies which seem to work well, the driver has their's on the shelf under the dash switched on so they can hear and the person directing talks them back, forward and right and left. Not foolproof but at least the shout of "stop stop stop" can be heard! Ours were cheapies from Aldi and well worth the money.

My Dad has reversing sensors on his car and I don't like the ones he has. Our cousin in the US also has them but his are linked to a rear view camera with distance indicator and is much better.

Just the only one to admit it on here :LOL:

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have factory fitted reversing sensors on our Chausson and they are so quiet as to be totally useless. All you can hear is a tiny "beep beep beep" that sounds like a 1" loudspeaker immersed in a pot of jam underneath a pile of dirty washing, when what you need is a roaring "BEEP BEEP BEEP Watch Out You Silly Bugger!" when the back end gets close to anything more soliderer than a Victoria sponge cake.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi
I am new to this website, but in my frustration, I thought I would join, just to air my views.
We bought our new Swift Kon-tiki 625 last week, all 8mtrs of it, and within an hour we had hit it.
We had drove into a car park, and parked away from others, but on coming out of the restaurant, we found that some had parked quite close, not giving us much room for reversing, my partner reversed back, into a 2 bay space, and all ok, but on pulling away, he hit the car with the back corner as it turned and kicked out, it slid all the way down the side.
Well it seems the lady came onto a MoHo site just to have a moan.
So the driver (husband?) managed to reverse ok but touched a car on moving forward, so if when reversing he saw this car why didn't he watch on the way out and after 'touching it' carried on damaging it right along the side.
Perhaps he was distracted because she was moaning to him on the failings of Swift?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Nadenza (if you're still here!), I'm sorry to hear of your accident and can understand your wanting to get the frustration with it all off your chest, but this possibly isn't the best way to do it, especially saying that this is the reason you've joined in the first place! You don't know this forum, or any of the members, no more than if you walked into a pub and told everyone there - you'd bet similar responses (probably a lot worse!) from the people there!

Pointing out the 'obvious' doesn't help the situation but then I don't think that coming onto a well established MH forum and telling people to 'suck eggs' helps either. We've all been there to a greater or lesser extent (only the 'brave' will admit it!) but making daft comments is just human ... I'm sure if you could see the faces of those making some of these comments you'd realise they were just having a bit of fun, rather than intentionally trying to upset you.

Reversing sensors would not have helped your situation as your t'other half was going forward at the time and sticking his bum out! Side sensors wouldn't have helped either as they'd have been screech due to the vehicles being so close to you anyway (and I suspect the dealer didn't realise you mean SIDE sensors, just the standard rear ones). The only real way to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen is for someone to be at the rear watching out when the situation requires it. As your t'other half is used to a MH which was half a metre shorter obviously he hadn't allowed for the extra 'swing' length ... easy to forget about this but I bet it isn't forgotten about from now on!

As for a standard fit sat nav ... unfortunately there are very few with this, it can often be specified when ordering but for a price ... personally I'd never have a fitted one as they can be a pain in the bum to keep updated and often cost a packet in the process. A friend has had them in his cars and he hates them with a passion!

So, hopefully you'll take the 'comments' with a pinch of salt and not let them concern/upset you and let us know a bit more about you and how you're getting on with your new 'big bottomed Bessie'!!!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Sorry but anyone who GOES DOWN THE WHOLE LENGTH OF A CAR in a car park does not just need sensors.Yes it is easy to catch something if you are not properly watching your mirrors BUT the length of a car !

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear of your mishap. I and many others have all damaged their vehicles the same way.
Its a learning curve and a mistake I hope I am unlikely to make again. Annoying and frustrating as it is, its happened and all you can do is learn from it and move on.
Happy motorhoming.
If you leave this forum then its your loss and if you stay you will find out for yourself just how good it actually really is.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When we bought Mo as an ex HGV driver I was interested straight away to see what sort of out swing she had on her arse end, so pulling out of the dealers I put full lock on and turned to the left and watched closely how much she crossed the marked bay line she was parked in, sorry poster it's not rocket science and definitely not the MoHo manufacturers fault if you don't watch what's going on around you.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As I said before many people have damaged vehicles with long overhangs.... some admit it and some don't :)

I tried to explain to someone how it worked and the only way I could get him to understand was to use a backpack and demonstrate the extra turning space required when wearing it. Anyone who has been in a crowded place has probably had some experience of the "backpack wallop". At a major exhibition I recently attended backpacks were banned and for good reason.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Am I the only one who thinks that some of the responses to this NEW member were somewhat harsh. Not everyone has had the advantage of years of HGV driving, I can understand why she has decided to leave, I hope she returns, as it is unusual for a first post to be met with such negative responses. Anyway off out to lunch now, may feel better after half a bottle of red and Sunday diner.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Am I the only one who thinks that some of the responses to this NEW member were somewhat harsh. Not everyone has had the advantage of years of HGV driving, I can understand why she has decided to leave, I hope she returns, as it is unusual for a first post to be met with such negative responses. Anyway off out to lunch now, may feel better after half a bottle of red and Sunday diner.
No you're not the only one (eg see how many Funsters have 'liked' post 29). Unusual, but not unknown; even in my short time on FUN I've seen it before. :(
It would be great to see her back. :)

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Don't let the bullies drive you away ,if you stay you will soon discover that it is always the same small group that post these nasty comments . Fortunately this pack of malcontents are in the minority , this is a great site and well worth staying .

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Having common sense does not make one a bully.
No it doesn't, but "common" sense is LEARNED, not in-built, and depends on the individual's life experiences. :worried:
[For example, I have loads of "common" sense when it comes to handling horses (y), but none at all handling large vehicles. (n)]

What makes one a bully is the way that one's message is given. :talking:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No it doesn't, but "common" sense is LEARNED, not in-built, and depends on the individual's life experiences. :worried:
[For example, I have loads of "common" sense when it comes to handling horses (y), but none at all handling large vehicles. (n)]

What makes one a bully is the way that one's message is given. :talking:
Sorry don't agree, you can see loads of people with university degrees, that haven't got an iota of common sense, so obviously they can learn book stuff but they haven't learned any common sense, and if you are including me in the bully section,( which doesn't really exist) I wasn't bullying anyone just giving a bit of advice of they should of done for free not spending £300 on something that won't make a bit of difference.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
greetings to the new member
I owned my own car body shop repair business for many years and I would like to add that I have repaired hundreds of cars that have been fitted with proximity sensors , I have repaired cars that people have purchased and as they drove off the forecourt ,damaged those vehicles.
I do feel for you , I bought a boat and it did not even have a blemish on it and first day out I got caught on a cross tide and bam I took a big chunk out of it.
If it makes you feel any better , I used to pick up and deliver high value cars and one day I hit the inside of my truck in a brand new Ferrari , I hit the accelerator and brake pedal at the same time and the back end jumped , boy was I embarraced

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry don't agree, you can see loads of people with university degrees, that haven't got an iota of common sense, so obviously they can learn book stuff but they haven't learned any common sense
Totally agree! That's what I'm trying to say @chaser , I believe that there is no "common" sense in terms of it being common to us all - we have to learn stuff, usually through our own experience or talking things through with other people, and if we don't have the experience or the discussion we can't learn the sense.
(I'm not talking about book-learning or about qualifications; I mean the really valuable learning that comes from real life situations.)

I think the OP would have had a better experience here with a more consistently sympathetic discussion than she was presented with and then, like me, she'd have learned that proximity sensors wouldn't help in such situations, and she'd probably still be a member of FUN.

According to your profile, you've 50 years' experience motorhoming - I imagine that your experience must make everything instinctive (what's called "common sense") - skills which I for one will never ever manage to achieve. :( But at least I know I can get help from you experienced Funsters! :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think the OP would have had a better experience here with a more consistently sympathetic discussion than she was presented with and then, like me, she'd have learned that proximity sensors wouldn't help in such situations, and she'd probably still be a member of FUN.

According to your profile, you've 50 years' experience motorhoming - I imagine that your experience must make everything instinctive (what's called "common sense") - skills which I for one will never ever manage to achieve. :( But at least I know I can get help from you experienced Funsters! :)
I think she would have had a better experience if she hadn't come on just to tell us what we needed to do, you have come on and learned, you know now that your back ends going to stick out, ooh missus :) so you now have some common sense to watch for it, if she had been on here and listened a bit instead of barging in telling us what to do, you don't do that so well accepted, I myself get plenty criticism on here and don't mind in the slightest because I can give it back or ignore it, not go off in a huff because I know something or someone will be along that I agree with, in fact if the op had stuck around she had people like yourself agreeing with her, she can't have it all roads.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am not blaming anyone , and as you are off anyway might as well add my twopennoth , why after touching the car did you keep driving till you had scraped all the way along the side of the car.
Common sense tells me because they didn't know they had touched the car, because otherwise they would have stopped. :)

Seems obvious to me, so why did you ask the question? Or was it not obvious to you? :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Common sense tells me because they didn't know they had touched the car, because otherwise they would have stopped. :)

Seems obvious to me, so why did you ask the question? Or was it not obvious to you? :)
Wouldn't you know if you had touched a car

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

There you are someone's on to me now, I'm going to go off in a huff:(
Seriously though if she had come on with something like" do you think parking sensors would help us" she would have had more advice than she could shake a stick at, not with a post that almost looked like spam for parking sensors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back