Move to get motor home owners to clear mess (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
MOTOR homes staying overnight in car parks and leaving mess behind in the mornings need to be subject to stricter rules, according to a Weston business leader.

Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I just love 'Nathan's' comment below the news article!

I reckon he is a BMW-owning hotelier!::bigsmile:

In defence of the locals though, I agree there are some morons who happen to own motorhomes. We occasionally go for day trips to Hunstanton in ours. I remember on one occasion, an owner of an older Compass Calypso turned boasting that he was wild camping locally. He pulled up near us after having driven into a local campsite and filled with water without their permission.
He then dumped his waste down a drain in full view of local residents and continued to run up his engine to charge his battery. His fanbelt was loose and his idea of running the engine to charge batteries was to rev the hell out of it. The noise, as you can imagine, was an awful screeching!
All this, remember, across the road from holiday apartments, in front of locals and holiday makers.

It was all very embarrassing!

One can see how we can all be tarred with the same brush.

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
MOTOR homes staying overnight in car parks and leaving mess behind in the mornings need to be subject to stricter rules, according to a Weston business leader.

Keith Fearn, [HI]chairman of the town’s hotel and restaurant association[/HI], said several motor homes were parked in Madeira car park in Madeira Road on Friday night.
He said: “It is the litter and the mess they leave behind that is the problem.”

He has called on North Somerset Council to ensure car parks are policed late at night to deter campers.
He said: “It is something that needs to be looked at. I don’t know how the council looks at it, whether it’s alright as long as the vehicle has a ticket in the window.
“I think the council needs to enforce the car parks a bit more late at night.

“I would have thought with motor homes, [HI]you can see the gas canisters[/HI] and it is obvious someone is sleeping in it.
“But the campers know at midnight they will be alright.”

[HI]He said a van had been broken into in Madeira car park on Friday night.
Mr Fearn added: “There could be a connection between the two.”[/HI]

Last week the Mercury reported how the council had given the green light to Beach Race organisers RHL to use Beach Lawns as a camp site during the event in October for motor homes, camper vans and tents.
It is a decision backed by Mr Fearn – as long as the campers are properly managed.

He said: “If the organisers are going to put it on Beach Lawns, that would be the best place because at least then they can look at it and manage it.
“I think it is a good thing to take them away from the car parks, as long as the organisers watch it and make sure there is no extra noise or rubbish.”

1. "Mr Fearn as chairman of the towns hotel and restaurant association" - Clearly unbiased then...

2. "You can see gas canisters" - As said previously more Itinerant than Motorhomer..

3. "Connection between motorhomers and break ins" - Hmmn, we know there are inconsiderate motorhomers who spoil it by leaving rubbish etc, but motorhomers breaking into vans, coincidence or .......

Mr Fearn seems to want to stop Motorhomers using Weston car parks, especially Maderia Road, a few hundred metres from his hotel, no self interest there of course.

He seems to try and show he is accommodating to Motorhomers by agreeing to a "campsite" for the Beach Race meeting, which lasts all of two days in October, when the town is normally busy anyway...........

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Gas Cylinders on show, and a van broken into in the same location, sounds like Itinerant's to me, I cant imagine genuine Motorhomers having gas cylinders on the outside of their outfits, why would they ?. :thumb: :drink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Gas Cylinders on show, and a van broken into in the same location, sounds like Itinerant's to me, I cant imagine genuine Motorhomers having gas cylinders on the outside of their outfits, why would they ?. :thumb: :drink:

Itinerants are the only people who dare leave their gas bottles outside.

They know they are safe, because they are the only ones who nick 'em!::bigsmile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp

Barbi's :thumb:

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Leaving a mess

Morning all,Im a steering wheel attendant,in a 44ton artic,We get the same problem at premises we deliver to.Sorry driver you cant stay inside the yard,A fellow haulier had left them a present behind a bin.So he had ruined it for everybody.I put my rubbish in a bag and dispose of it in a skip.My oppinion use the facility dont abuse it...:thumb:All the best,THE BANDIT..:Eeek:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

if you left em out some bugger would nick em
much better off in your gas locker :Doh::Doh:

any way all you should leave behind is footprints :thumb:

and take your memories home:thumb:
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Someone should send the hotelier and the journalist a copy of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 as updated.

There is plenty of enforceable legislation on littering and flytipping.

Why local councils, the Environment Agency and Police do not use these to their fullest I have no idea.

Using the legislation available can lead to :-

fines and/or
imprisonment and/or
vehicles being seized and on occasions destroyed & not returned to their owner

Dont ban motorhomers from car parks!!! Our vehicles require tax and insurance just like other road users and by goodness I have seen plenty of people in cars throwing their rubbish out and flytipping.

It is interesting too that I cant add a comment to the article.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I registered and posted a comment when Jim firsf started the thread. The comment, which was constructive, has not been published.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back