Move MoT due Date (1 Viewer)

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
I am likely to be out of the country, with the vehicle, when the MoT becomes due; is it legal to take the vehicle for an MoT 6 months before the due date so that I can move the renewal date away for travel date?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK it makes no difference at all, we've done a similar thing in the past ourselves and never had a problem.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Yes....... I did it with a yank, we would have been out of the country when it was due..

So had it done 3 months early.. the only thing it means each year it will run from the end date of the previous one..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
No problems ours is not yet 5 years old, and has already had three MOTs, the next will be done before we go to Spain in October for the winter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Take it every day if you want.....after all you're the one paying the test fee.

More to the point....if it fails does that cancel the current MOT

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Take it every day if you want.....after all you're the one paying the test fee.

More to the point....if it fails does that cancel the current MOT

i would think it would ,,,a vehicle that fails is not up to MOT standards and should not be on the road,,,,,,,but there are some garages that will do a pree MOT just go through the motions and tell you what it would fail on.....

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,
To answer the last question first.

The wording to the offence of using a motor vehicle on a road goes something like," that you drove (caused, permitted to be used) a motor vehicle where there was not in force a valid certificate issued within the preceding twelve months"
(or words to that effect).
Yes, I know that theoretically you could have had a test more than twelve months previously had you taken it in early on a preexisting test cert but to all intents and purposes, providing that there was a valid test cert then you would not be committing THAT offence.
However, you would be committing whatever offence, if you used the vehicle on the road with a defect that showed up in the test.

I went to my garage to arrange for my test to be performed next month as we hope to be away in the winter, whereas we are always at home in August.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would think it would ,,,a vehicle that fails is not up to MOT standards and should not be on the road,,,,,,,but there are some garages that will do a pree MOT just go through the motions and tell you what it would fail on.....
Just sent Geo a PM to get it from the horses mouth, as they say.

What you say regarding not to standard, the MOT is an examination AT THE TIME OF TEST ONLY and the law only assumes it should remain so for a full year so an hour/day/week/month after the MOT it could develop a fault which it could fail on....but it is still MOT certified as ok.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Again,

Here's the exact wording,
"

Obligatory test certificates.
(1)A person who uses on a road at any time, or causes or permits to be so used, a motor vehicle to which this section applies, and as respects which no test certificate has been issued within the appropriate period before that time, is guilty of an offence.

In this section and section 48 of this Act, the “appropriate period” means a period of twelve months or such shorter period as may be prescribed. "

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But if it fails an MOT (even if there is an older MOT issued within the previous 12 months) you would want to get it fixed asap, wouldn't you?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Puddles,

It would be the same as taking the car in half way through it's MOT year to be told,"Your brakes are shot" and doing nothing about it.
Anyone who ignores that kind of info deserves the book being thrown (and the fist holding the book)

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Just sent Geo a PM to get it from the horses mouth, as they say.

What you say regarding not to standard, the MOT is an examination AT THE TIME OF TEST ONLY and the law only assumes it should remain so for a full year so an hour/day/week/month after the MOT it could develop a fault which it could fail on....but it is still MOT certified as ok.
yes but surely if you put it in for test early and it fails,,then i would think that once the testing station press the buttons and send the details of the test result to the place they send them, then it would show up as MOT failure till a pass result is sent through,,,

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'd say common sense must prevail. If it fails on no screen wash or a bulb you fix it that day. If more urgent fix it immediately.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi Puddles,

It would be the same as taking the car in half way through it's MOT year to be told,"Your brakes are shot" and doing nothing about it.
Anyone who ignores that kind of info deserves the book being thrown (and the fist holding the book)

That was exactly the point I was trying to make! Doesn't matter if it fails because of brakes or a bulb it needs to be sorted. No excuses.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But if it fails an MOT (even if there is an older MOT issued within the previous 12 months) you would want to get it fixed asap, wouldn't you?
Certainly, but we are away next weekend and the earliest i can get booked in is next friday.....the current MOT expires midnight next Saturday so if it fails on friday and if it should override the current ticket theres little i can do but hope i dont get a pull.

I wasnt retesting until i had a buyer as we had no intention of using the RV but circumstances changed at the last minute

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
yes but surely if you put it in for test early and it fails,,then i would think that once the testing station press the buttons and send the details of the test result to the place they send them, then it would show up as MOT failure till a pass result is sent through,,,

Hi sb8263,

You would think that what you have suggested would apply, and in the world real world perhaps it should BUT,
UK law doesn't work in that way. The offence of use motor vehicle without an MOT Cert is only committed if a Pass Cert has not been issued in the preceding twelve moths.
As I've previously said, non compliant part that caused the failure would create an offence for the user if the user continued to use the vehicle post test failure.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi sb8263,

You would think that what you have suggested would apply, and in the world real world perhaps it should BUT,
UK law doesn't work in that way. The offence of use motor vehicle without an MOT Cert is only committed if a Pass Cert has not been issued in the preceding twelve moths.
As I've previously said, non compliant part that caused the failure would create an offence for the user if the user continued to use the vehicle post test failure.

Agreed, but the offence is committed even if an early test fail is issued or not, if stopped and checks undertaken.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Hi sb8263,

As I've previously said, non compliant part that caused the failure would create an offence for the user if the user continued to use the vehicle post test failure.[/QUOTE

Agreed, but the offence is committed even if an early test fail is issued or not, if stopped and checks undertaken.

thats what i would have thought....guess i am wrong.....

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Pappajohn, I left "the job" before the MOT Database was established to inform the Police on the street as to the legality (or otherwise) of vehicles they see and stop.
As a result I am unable to comment on current practice but it would seem to me a no brainer that if the Police have details of the failure, whilst they could not continue down that route, the database would invariably show the reason for the failure and they, (The bobby on the ground) would home in on that part of the vehicle that caused the failure. As previously said, it could be a minor, correctable item, although one one imagine that any such irregularity would be sorted. More serious defects that were not corrected and therefore a fail cert issued would be open to scrutiny.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn, I left "the job" before the MOT Database was established to inform the Police on the street as to the legality (or otherwise) of vehicles they see and stop.
As a result I am unable to comment on current practice but it would seem to me a no brainer that if the Police have details of the failure, whilst they could not continue down that route, the database would invariably show the reason for the failure and they, (The bobby on the ground) would home in on that part of the vehicle that caused the failure. As previously said, it could be a minor, correctable item, although one one imagine that any such irregularity would be sorted. More serious defects that were not corrected and therefore a fail cert issued would be open to scrutiny.
The reply to my PM to Geo..........

Hi John
No a MoT certificate is not over ridden by a new failure it still runs its full course.
Police NC may show both the current old Mot(Still valid) and also the new failure
You would/could be found to be knowingly using an unroadworthy vehicle, Unlikely unless very serious defects
G

Lance

Free Member
Jul 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak R.V
Exp
4yrs
you can get a 13 month test if your vehicle is tested and pasess one month before the old ticket expires eh,,,,,eh

On the flip sideif you dont have a current ticket as I did and your bringing your vehicle back into the country then make sure you have made a pre booked test before you drive on the road,,,,or as I did get a fine from our old friend the recognition camera for some 3 times the fee.which you have to challenge

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
According to this official website the earliest you can renew an MOT is one month before expiry of the old one. But I guess you could get it tested earlier if you had a valid reason. https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/the-mot-test
And on the next page you can see the answer about driving the vehicle if it fails. You can but could be done for having an unroadworthy vehicle.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
One month early is only for the benefit of maintaining the annual expiry date. So you get nearly 13 months. You don't need a reason for an early MOT you could do it everyday

Reactions: DBK

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In response to Lance's comment above, can I point out that the authorities take a dim view of driving long distances in order to get an MOT.
Once upon a time it was a regular event for vehicles, not necessarily motorhomes, to book a test and then travel the length of the country in order to take the test. Of course on arriving at the destination, the test was cancelled, the vehicle put on a car park for the duration of the holiday and another test booked for the return journey.
Apparently it is now an offence to drive too far.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just for info, Halfords are currently doing half price Class 4 MOTS for £27.42. We had our Smart MOT'd by them last week (it passed :) (y) ) - it was very easy to get an appointment with them so if you need one keep a note of this link as you don't access it via the normal website:

Halfords half-price MOTs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back