Mousy mooches around Greece.. (2 Viewers)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Oh where are my manners?
Happy 30th anniversary Martin and Dawn
A98E63AF-555E-40EA-9C08-83F4BC6AE097.jpeg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know, I know, I know.........!!!!!!!! I thought 30th was Pearl..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Well we’ve had a blast, a really fantastic 3 months away. Greece was everything we expected and more.

We’ve lived in our little bubble of sunshine, sea swimming and siestas, it’s going to take a while to acclimatise to “real life”! But looking forward to seeing the kids and friends.

We had time for some final crepes in Belgium still slightly dizzy from doing a deal on a new to us van! Not what we were expecting when we went looking for upholstery ideas. But we kinda fell in love...it might have been our pearl wedding anniversary but a champagne coloured Moho will do fine.

C7809422-67A3-4745-8974-171F1C406696.jpeg

10FA691F-6B7B-40E6-B7CD-C753F77036C7.jpeg

Martin rocking his French look at cite Europe with supplies of fresh bread, pate and wine.

For those of you still wondering our meal was €110 inc tip.

And the new Moho is a Hymer S840 Martin will post a link for all you NMC members (Nosey Mare Club)...

So 3 months on, Martin can now run for 50 minutes and 9 kilometres after starting couch to 5k.
Hopefully there is a little less of me after I’ve embraced Intermittent Fasting and Keto diet.
Although I’ve somehow acquired inches of grey roots too..

We hope you’ve all enjoyed our ramblings if we can help in any way fire us some questions but honestly half the time we really didn’t know where we were or what day it was....

Yammas xx

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Well we’ve had a blast, a really fantastic 3 months away. Greece was everything we expected and more.

We’ve lived in our little bubble of sunshine, sea swimming and siestas, it’s going to take a while to acclimatise to “real life”! But looking forward to seeing the kids and friends.

We had time for some final crepes in Belgium still slightly dizzy from doing a deal on a new to us van! Not what we were expecting when we went looking for upholstery ideas. But we kinda fell in love...it might have been our pearl wedding anniversary but a champagne coloured Moho will do fine.

View attachment 324339

View attachment 324340

Martin rocking his French look at cite Europe with supplies of fresh bread, pate and wine.

And the new Moho is a Hymer S840 Martin will post a link for all you NMC members (Nosey Mare Club)...

So 3 months on, Martin can now run for 50 minutes and 9 kilometres after starting couch to 5k.
Hopefully there is a little less of me after I’ve embraced Intermittent Fasting and Keto diet.

We hope you’ve all enjoyed our ramblings if we can help in any way fire us some questions but honestly half the time we really didn’t know where we were or what day it was....

Yammas xx
Congratulations to you both on your anniversary and your new van too
Really looking forward to seeing loads of pics.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Congratulations on your new purchase ? As a wedding anniversary present, it will take some beating. Welcome home and thanks for sharing your trip ?

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Fantastic write up and pics, never thought about Greece before. So many places.........

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
We pick the van up in mid September. Here’s the link to the new to us van a S840 with the most important element - an island bed.

IMG_20190813_154921213.jpg

Here's the old one... B660SL with transverse bed.

Screenshot_20190814-124250.png

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

View attachment 324339

View attachment 324340

Yammas xx
I have enjoyed reading your trip on Greece and it has helped me no end with my trip planning next year. We have decided to just do Greece (and probably visit Crete too) and return by the same route (Italy) and leave our visit to Eastern Europe as a separate trip in 2021. May I ask if you found 3 months too long, short, or just about right. I'm planing on arriving in Greece last week in April and Leaving end of July/mid August when I suspect the heat will be too much for us. I would welcome your views on the subject. As an aside, I have had a conversation with the staff in the London office of Viamare and they inform me they will sort all my ferry crossings (open return Acona - Igoumenitsa. Patras - Ancona) at the same price offered by booking direct with the ferry companies, and They will be in touch with me once the ferry time tables are published.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Viamare are brilliant so helpful.
We were planning to go April & May next year but have had to cancell. New Grandchild due begining of April so I've been grounded, can't go a bit later as it's MIL's 90th end of May.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Viamare are brilliant so helpful.
We were planning to go April & May next year but have had to cancell. New Grandchild due begining of April so I've been grounded, can't go a bit later as it's MIL's 90th end of May.
Wow! Could you just imagine it, Busman, your goodself and I in Greece at the same time. Priceless .

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi PhilandMena, glad you enjoyed our trip. It got very hot (high 30’s) by mid July, no way would we stay into August again (40 +). We will go back possibly year after next as we have other trips planned. If we were doing it again I’d go clockwise for all of May, June and into July with an open return so the stay would be dependant on the weather.

We gave ourselves far too long (2 weeks) to get from home in South Wales to Bari and the weather wasn’t good so it felt like we were hanging around.

Hot tips...

Take 2 cassettes and use a bin in your bathroom for toilet paper (nappy bags). You can then dump in any loo (garages, cafes, etc). All loos in Greece have a toilet paper ban. Don’t use chemicals.

Fill up with water wherever you can, most houses or shops have a hose on their frontage and are happy for you to fill. Water doesn’t seem to be a precious resource. We have an in-line filter so can drink any water but beware not all sources are portable.
Unlike Spain we didn’t see any of those huge water bottles for sale.

Rubbish is easy to get rid of but you won’t find much recycling going on sadly. We picked up from everywhere we stopped, some beaches and stops were dirtier than others.

The land is so dry, grey water onto the ground is encouraged.

Stray dogs and cats everywhere but not really a problem (apart from sometimes barking at night). We always left a big bowl of clean water outside.

Food and fuel prices were comparable to the uk. Local weekly markets had much cheaper fruit and veg than the shops. Haggle if you come across the veg van....different prices for locals and tourists! Standard lol.

Whilst driving don’t assume that people will stay on their side of the road particularly on corners and their expectation is that as a Moho you should be right over, straddling the verge so they can constantly overtake...even if there’s a solid white line.

As to length of stay, we loved it but it is a long time to be away. You may be better asking others who have been too. My multiple sclerosis obviously affects what and how much we can do too.

It was one of our best trips and we made some amazing memories, We really hope you guys do too.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you, I will take on board your recommendations.

I’d say as well that once you get there, no need to plan anything just mumble around the coast and freestyle it.
Plenty of wild camping if that’s your thing (it’s definitely ours!) but campsites most places too, the facilities looked dated on the ones we saw but were clean. We only spent 3 nights at sites in our whole time away.

That reminds me, very few if any laundromats, we hand washed every couple of days and took 2 sets of bedding, we found that we could turn up at a campsite and use their machine for a charge obviously. The Greeks are a very uncomplicated lot, happy to help and delightfully lacking in rules and bullshit.

We went anti clockwise and the only reason I’d change that next time is because we didn’t really explore the third leg as much due to time so I’d like to start there.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks again, We already have the 2 cassettes and use Aldi bio washing suds for the loo which we will discontinue in Greece. We too will be wild camping as I'm a freeloading tosser and have a reputation to maintain. We will use the occasional campsite for service stops and like you will beg for water and see our only restriction being places to empty our cassette. We too will be going anti-clockwise and I have hundreds of stopover places and then some. We also plan to meet up with Busman Dave and Maggie who will be arriving in May and probably join them in Crete in July. I think on the basis of what you have said about the heat we will be heading back up end of July and possibly spend a little time mooching around southern Germany then back home for end of August.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@PhilandMena

Here are our trip details and costs.

Viamare Ltd.
London.
Tel: +44 (0)20 8206 3420
ferries@viamare.com
www.viamare.com
DATE: 31/01/2019
CLIENTS NAME: Martin Coutts

We can offer subject to space at the time of booking as follows:

Operator: Anek Superfast
Depart Bari on 15/05/19 at 19:30 – arrive Patras on 16/05/19 at 13:00

Depart Patras on 05/08/19 at 18:00 – arrive Bari on 06/08/19 at 09:30

Camping On Board
2 adults in deck
1 camper(7.3m) on the open deck
1 dog
Total Fare = € 476.40
Special fare: early booking discount applied. Only valid if you book your tickets until the 28/02/19. Valid for one way or round trip travel until 31/12/19.
Tickets are non-refundable, dates of tickets can be changed or altered to open tickets but you will lose the early booking discount on the altered leg(s) of the trip; the resulting price difference must be paid when the new ticket is booked. Limited availability.
Hi, Mousy I have a question for you as we have booked with same operator. When you collected your boarding pass from the superfast office, did you go to the port first then walk through to the office or just park outside of the office. and...........how long to wait for boarding pass issue.
Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, Mousy I have a question for you as we have booked with same operator. When you collected your boarding pass from the superfast office, did you go to the port first then walk through to the office or just park outside of the office. and...........how long to wait for boarding pass issue.
Thanks in advance.

hi Phil, we pulled up near the office, plenty of people around to direct you where to park. Took maybe 10 mins to get everything then we were shown where to park and wait for the ferry. I think we waited for half an hour before driving on.we were in a line of about 20 vans and the the men in high vis with whistles call you in.

don’t be sweating the small stuff....you will be fine.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks ! I think my tickets are the boarding passes and I just need to drive straight into the port and will be checked in at a booth then directed to que ?

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
Ta fora great write up, love the scoot carrier for t’pooch ? we’re heading theer next month, Did thy have any probs tekin t’dog on beaches in Greece? We have two.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We take our 2 standard poodles on the beaches in Greece as Greek law states they are allowed to be on the beach on a lead. As for taking them in the sea, find a quiet beach away from others as you risk getting a fine If you let your dog swim on a crowded beach.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back