Mousy Goes To France Day One.. (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Oh no! Can see the vanilla slices from here!:(

SEE! Its winking at me....,

Or as I believe they are called in France, Mille Feuille (thousand leaves).
Now trying to pronounce Feuille is difficult but the ones with lemon cream.................!!
Just 5 weeks and I can have one or 2.

Enjoying the thread Mousy, brave woman taking 2 young adults with you.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Mousy when you go to a L'eclerk! (God I am bad enough writing in english!) look out for the large Raspberry Creme Brule tart it was to die for .... voted best desert in France by our party. Eat it same day before the Brule looses its crunch. Its lipsmackingly good. :lips::h:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I wish we could follow you down there. all those cakes. and of course the swimming .

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lake looks beautiful, tarts look beautiful, George looks very agile and I know Haz will take the tent business in his stride, just hope George isn't mentally scarred for life by his birds eye view of his mother's nocturnal nude wanderings!

Keep on having a wonderful time all of you, we are all loving your updates! (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Religieuses (sp, @yodeli ?) are an education - but I prefer the coffee ones if poss.

I like a nice Millefeuille, but we do also like a nice custard slice any day. A lot of supermarkets sell two slices in a box reasonably - where one is big enough for us both to eat it, so hopefully, two days' worth. (or at least, half of one is big enough for me - so at least I get 2 days worth!) Supermarkets also sometimes have the large ones on Special - so if there are lots of you, it's just as cheap to buy a big un as individual slices. We once made the mistake of staying in Normandy in a gite for 5 days. It was October, during the days it was lively, but cold at night - and though that was about 10 years ago, I don't believe either of us has ever actually WANTED a slice of Tarte Normande since.

Except once in Provence, actually - I asked for a slice, and requested that they stick it in the micro-onde for a bit, then cover it with Crème Anglais. It was quite nice ! But I sort of got the impression that Pete might divorce me if I did that again !

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@sedge What's the difference between Millefeuilles and custard slice? I thought it was the same....
Was Tarte Normande too cold to eat in October. Sorry Jenny if you feel I'm asking silly questions, but I'm a bit lost and look for the light lol!
Is Tarte Normande with ice in? Never had any ....hence my question, trying to make the link between the Tarte and the season and the microwave story! To say it all I'm quite amazed they actually did this(warm it up a bit and add crème anglaise on it, that is)for you! They must have been nice people (Poor Peter , he must have felt very lonely on this one:LOL::LOL:)

BTW ... It's Crème AnglaisE , crème is feminine and is pronounced zzz at the end

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@sedge What's the difference between Millefeuilles and custard slice? I thought it was the same....
Was Tarte Normande too cold to eat in October. Sorry Jenny if you feel I'm asking silly questions, but I'm a bit lost and look for the light lol!
Is Tarte Normande with ice in? Never had any ....hence my question, trying to make the link between the Tarte and the season and the microwave story! To say it all I'm quite amazed they actually did this(warm it up a bit and add crème anglaise on it, that is)for you! They must have been nice people (Poor Peter , he must have felt very lonely on this one:LOL::LOL:)

BTW ... It's Crème AnglaisE , crème is feminine and is pronounced zzz at the end

Find supermarket offering inferior to bakers generally
Share? What a concept!lol......you can't cut them as they are so messy...that's my excuse anyway. Luckily wife hates sticky looking cakes:)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Luckily my wife is not a cake lover so I usually get the Paris Brest to myself.
Serving suggestion= best eaten when alone! :devil: Oh that hazelnut cream :h:
I love all things hazelnut and coffee so France is the place to visit
PARIS.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I can resist anything except temptation...Apple is my nemesis..a good strudel and a coffee probably my fav :)

will be in Germany (the land of strudel) in a few weeks on way to Italy....

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hurry back with a report Mousy, this thread is being hi-jacked as "What's your favourite pudding?"

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I love a good cake. but you are right come on mousy , make our day.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yodeli - yes, Anglaise - oops.

Mille Feuilles should have FRESH cream in between the layers as far as I'm concerned. If not, it is a Custard Slice as you say. But we were talking about MF and custard TART - which you may purchase as a whole thing, or in individual slices. We English actually bake individual sized custard tarts, which we sell in Bakery shops. But, it's baked egg custard - NOT 'confectioners custard' which is what the French use - so ours has far less sugar, no flour or cornflour, and is not as solid in texture. So - it would not support eg the fruit in any fruit tart, which is what your fruit tarts do - Confectioners Custard at the bottom, fruit on top.

Different time of year and different place - both the Tarte Normande and the Crème Anglaise were bought in by the campsite restaurant. Their main courses were stuff like Burgers and frites or Pizzas - there was nobody in the kitchen with any actual cooking skills I could have upset LOL - I would never have done it in a 'proper' restaurant ! I was merely trying to replicate a British pudding. Apple Pie and custard ! Crème Anglais isn't British Custard LOL - the latter is made with vanilla flavoured, cornflour, tinted yellow, and you mix it to a paste with a drop of cold milk, bring the rest of the pint of milk to the boil, then pour it onto the paste , and beat like hell. If it doesn't thicken, return the lot to the milkpan, and bring it all to the boil, again beating until it's as thick as you want! (Sunday lunch = Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast and mashed potatoes, cabbage and carrots, all doused with dark brown Bisto gravy, with English mustard, and/or Horseradish sauce offered on the side. Followed by Apple (or another seasonal fruit, eg Rhubarb, or Gooseberries) Pie or Crumble, with custard.) (If you want a first course - Heinz tomato soup, ROFL)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@sedge Jenny, I have never ever seen Mille Feuilles with FRESH cream. Or may be it is a matter of vocabulary.

Fresh cream to me, is sold in a pot in the cold department and you use it mainly for cooking/baking.

Like there:
http://www.produits-laitiers.com/article/faire-avec-pot-de-creme-fraiche

Now In the Mille Feuille there is "Crème Patissière" only. Whether it is home made or powder bought in a supermarket, it has the same consistence. (BTW , I agree crème Anglaise has noting to do with custard)
This is the recipe of it:
http://allrecipes.fr/recette/14038/mille-feuille-comme---la-p-tisserie.aspx

We are really being naughty , this is Mousy's thread!!!
Next time Jenny ask me on the French Thread so I do not feel so guilty to hijack. Sorry Mousy....:blush::blush:

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Ah but they bake better real bread......

You are so right. We like most Spanish bread which has both taste and substance and wish the French would take a few lessons. With the demise of the artisanal baker in France and the rise of factory made, part baked baguettes etc instead you can no longer buy decent bread there.

Even Spain has not the range that you can buy at a good English bakers however.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Sod the cake and cookie drivel, eh dribble, where's the next instalment from our Travel Correspondent?
Mrs Mousy, Fun News from deepest darkest half way up a hill in Annecy.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Sod the cake and cookie drivel, eh dribble, where's the next instalment from our Travel Correspondent?
Mrs Mousy, Fun News from deepest darkest half way up a hill in Annecy.

give her a chance, she's on her hollidays

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry guys I'm on it.. Just a quickie as we are about to cycle into Annecy. More pictures of cakes to follow I'm sure.

Mission failures so far...
When buying a tent ask if it will fit 18 year son whose 6'5"+
image.jpg

When using a French loo you have to take the loo paper in with you.,,,you will only forget once.
On the same topic, it's alarming to forget you've eaten beet root for 2 days when you look down to flush!

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Love the photo !

Buy a supply of the small packets of tissues from a supermarket ( about 1 euro per umpteen) and carry one about you all the time. Saves walking around with a roll of loo paper but does tend to block the delicate French plumbing if you forget and put more than one down the loo rather than in the bin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back