Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Would you believe it I've finally managed to make some sense of the tv cables in the RV and got a decent picture and the freeview is working. Thanks must go to Duncan (StarSpangledSpanner) for all his help on the phone one evening what a great guy.
While I was working in the panel behind the overhead tv I thought I noticed some mouse droppings but was'nt sure. The tv's been out for a couple of weeks balanced on the dash and when I went back this morning to finish the job sure enough we've got a mouse, there's plenty of evidence.
Question
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it. I'm not happy about putting poison down because god knows where it'll go to die, imagine the smell.
Any ideas gratefully accepted :thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Short of installing a cat, there is nothing for it but to put in poison and traps. If your bus is inside, sprinkle some poison round the wheels too :Smile:

We do it as a matter of course in all of ours - belt and braces. Invariably the traps catch the little blighters before the poison takes effect anyway ....not had any damage (or smells) yet :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Put cheese down and they'll leave the cables alone:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Get a cat:winky:

Cant magine how our van would end up if our dawgs spotted a mouse innit :Doh::RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Buy half a dozen plastic trip traps, bait them with peanut butter. Poison will kill them but where will they curl up and die? one mouse decomposing might go unnoticed but a whole family might chuck up a bit.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I don't think you will get much smell from 1 or 2 dead mice::bigsmile: but try chocolate in the traps,they love it::bigsmile: then again you may end up with fat smelly mice:ROFLMAO:
terry

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I use these...easy to set, even easier to empty and no messy squashed bits as you get with the old fashioned wooden traps. You don't even need to bait them if you set them facing against the walls :winky:

Not sure if they are available over here but have seen similar ones.

Link Removed

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks Linda I've ordered a pack just hope they work
Maybe I'll put peanut butter on them as well Never heard that one before Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just a thought Ror, you should try eating some of Jans cakes, rather than hiding them behind that panel:roflmto::roflmto:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have had rat droppings on my battery before in the engine bay but thankfully they didn't like the inside of my van!
At least i hope not!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I use these...easy to set, even easier to empty and no messy squashed bits as you get with the old fashioned wooden traps. You don't even need to bait them if you set them facing against the walls :winky:

Not sure if they are available over here but have seen similar ones.

Link Removed

Blimey Linda your so ladylike and yet have mice:Eeek::Eeek:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Blimey Linda your so ladylike and yet have mice:Eeek::Eeek:

You get all sorts of wildlife living out in the sticks .............. you should see what I use to get rid of the rabbits :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Bevis on wheels

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
near Sheffield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years but travelled for years
We had a mouse or two in one of the floor cupboards. The naughty little creatures had a good meal on the thermal blinds ( fortunately mendable with grey gaffa tape). We use humane traps now - a bit fiddly but you don't have to worry about chucking out little decapitated bodies ( yuk). Get a milk bottle or something similar like a tall wide necked jar. Put a bit of chocolate or rice cake - those things that taste like polystyrene- in it with a little bit of olive oil and a bit of water. Put the bottle onto its side and prop it with a bit of wood . This is what happens- the mouse goes in, eats the chocolate but the olive oil on its paws stops it getting back up the slope. You check the bottle and you see a little bedraggled thing sat there licking its paws. You then take the bottle out and take it a distance away then tip the mouse out. Then you have a race with the mouse to see if it can get back to the chocolate before you........:winky:

scotchjock

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Lunan Bay
Funster No
MH
C class
Hi All
Having had serious mice problems, things seem to be OK now. I am on permanent hookup at home, so I use these 5 in 1 electronic/electromagnet gizmos. touch wood, they seem to be keeping the b*****s at bay. Moth balls are fairly effective, but if you don't give the van a good airing before your next outing, you end up stinking. The problem with putting baited traps down, is that the food attracts the rodents. I think the best way is to start off with loads of mothballs and a good quality electronic device,(anything up to £50, a small price to pay compared to new upholstery and a rewire) and gradually over three to four weeks, remove the mothballs. The same devices seem to have cleared my loft after 9 years of the pitter patter of tiny feet.
Incidently, a bird feeder filled with mothballs, hung up in the engine compartment, also helps to protect the wiring. (apparently, farmers have been using this trick for years)

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks for all the tips I'll try a combination of them all. We were in the van earlier checking out the TV and sorting some stuff out and Jan kept looking round expecting Mr Mouse to run out any moment. I can see problems ahead until I can prove I've caught one, might mean a sneaky trip to the shop :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The compound we store our RV at was infested with the little beggars last year. We bought humane traps but the little sods chewed through them to get at the peanut butter! We started using the old-fashioned type and killed 5 or 6 a week. Even now we still get at least one a week. I do wonder if we're actually enticing them on:Smile: I think I'll try the mothball trick next.
Reading the post about the bottle bought a smile. We had a bottle of strawberry syrup for making milk shakes. They'd chewed through the plastic and jumped in to get at the syrup. Of course they couldn't get out again and drowned. There must have a been a dozen of them in there!

Best of luck getting rid of him

Cheers
Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back