Mounting an inverter. (1 Viewer)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Thank you for your advice on what inverter and what watt. I now have a 2000w pure sine wave inverter.
Can you please help me the best way to mount it. Due to space, the inverter has to mounted horizontally on a vertical wall. Can I screw it directly onto the wall or is it best to screw it to a battern keeping the inverter away from the wall?
Vic

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Does your inverter have an integral fan?

As long as there is an air gap direct to wall. You could use slightly longer screws and some washers stacked to make a slight stand off.

OP
OP
V

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Yes, it has two fans. Thank you, will fit washers etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Inverter needs to be in close proximity to your leisure battery or linked leisure batteries. Your van battery charger may not be able to charge several batteries. A large inverter needs several batteries to cope w

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Inverter needs to be in close proximity to your leisure battery or linked leisure batteries. Your van battery charger may not be able to charge several batteries. A large inverter needs several batteries to cope with the wattage draw.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I am sure you know as the above poster mentioned, like six inches away from your bank with massive cables, I use welding cables DOUBLED UP (thats 4 cables 2 pos 2 neg) to my 3kw inverter.

If you can't get close proximity and super duty cables your inverter will complain.

If your charger can't cope or you just have a soppy split charge relay consider a B2B unit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can mount the inverter any distance you like from the batteries if you use suitable cable. For example, if the cable run was one metre then 35mm² cable would be fine and result in a voltage drop of less than 2%. Obviously it is easier if the cable run is as short as possible, long thick cables are expensive too but if they have to be long to get the inverter in the right position then you can do it.

The calculator on this page is very useful. https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cable-sizing-selection.html

Your 2000W inverter will draw around 170 amps but to be on the safe side I would use a figure of 200 and work out the cable size from that. The page above suggests a maximum voltage drop of 3% to 4% but I suggest no more than 2%. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back