Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hey all

Now i am looking at mounting my Amateur radio gear into my MH and i am wondering if anyone has any ideas of where to mount the Aerial.

Now i am thinking onto the Bike rack on the back but you have to remember i need a dam good earth, Now the bike rack will act as a earth for high frequencies but for the lower i will need to attach to the chassis the earth wire,

I feel the Bike rack is going to be the best but you never know someone here may have a brain wave i have not thought of.

Bare in mind people the aerial needs metal to mount to, If i cant mount it i am going to have to resort to buying a portable kit and just set up when i am settled on sites.

Any ideas are grateful...

Craig

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Didn't realise you were a Ham..I'm still trying to find somewhere to do me practicals for my foundation and then take the test..as I'm in Tenerife it's a tad hard to find..just need to find somewhere that I can do a weekend course over 2 weekends and test on the third weekend as it were..I live in hope!!
Have a word with Roger (aka Wildman) he's a Ham too and from what I can make out used to do a bit of tutoring in radio might be worth dropping him a PM..hope that helps..as for the cycle rack that should do ok for the higher as you say..what sets are you using and which antennas

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
My old man used to use a stumpy fibreglass type thing for the car. Seemed to work ok....That attached to the gutter, but you could just as easily pick up a bonnet mount or similar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
::bigsmile: cq cq cq on the back ladder if u have on but make sure its earthed first,,i use a dye pole ang great reception ::bigsmile:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi
Your idea of mounting it on the bike rack sounds to be the best you will do for an easy fixed mount. As you say earthing the bike rack to the chassis will help and you can always add an earth spike if you are on suitable ground. I have just used a mag mount on the bonnet which is not ideal but with a multi ranger 9 does load up on most hf bands. Its where a panel van conversion with a steel roof would be an advantage.
Obviously a portable arrangement is going to work better if you have the space & time to sort it out. My rig is a FT857 with the main box fitted under a bunk and the control head fitted on a suitable panel.
Mike -.-

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Personally I dont like bike racks mounted on the bodywork, I would kill 2 birds with one stone, fit a tow bracket and mount your cycle rack and aerial to that.

OP
OP
W18BLA

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hi All

Cheers for the replies but i looked into a towbar and at £1100 its abit too much just to mount a aerial lol..

I think i am going to go the Bike rack route just need to look at where to run the earth without drilling holes,

I have a FT897 and was looking at a Atas120 but i think i might also look at Mirror mount for 2/70 and just go the portable route for HF,

Also need to mount some binding posts and wire them upto the extra battery for the aircon, So i can remove it easy etc.

Its going to be a long thinking process i dont want to drill into my lovely new MH lol...

Thanks all

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back