Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
Here are 2 solutions to mould under the mattress:
1 cut slots in the bed base (like a 6 pack) and let the air from the garage circulate under the mattress,
2 put an insulating layer with wooden slats on the bed base to support the mattress
Which solution would you choose and why

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
wooden slats as the air tep would be the same as the hab unit and i would have sum of my blown air ducted under the bead to keep it dry and air moving round
would not use cutting slots as air in garage will be cold and will create cold spot and more damp or heat the garage and your mould will go away lift matres when not in use

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we have never had mould under any mattresses or bench seat cushions.

So, is the mould problem in newer motorhomes, what do we do to prevent, do we need to do anything?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
There is a third option. Put a layer of course/open pore foam(the courser the better) at least 1" thick under the matress.,

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Here are 2 solutions to mould under the mattress:
1 cut slots in the bed base (like a 6 pack) and let the air from the garage circulate under the mattress,
2 put an insulating layer with wooden slats on the bed base to support the mattress
Which solution would you choose and why

"Slats"... to keep the air temp the same as the room... :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours has slats from the factory and the garage is heated.

No mould.

I reckon that's your solution!:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our mattress is on slats too and the heater unit is under the bed so it's always warm and well ventilated
Just make sure you have some sort of airflow under the mattress, still damp air or no airflow around a damp mattress ( even just from sleeping) will cause mould to form eventually

Allan

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Our BessieE480 has slats under the Mattress , which is also over the Garage no problems. Pete

Ps our last Coachbuilt BessieE465, also had slats under the Mattress no problems with that one either

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
The cheap and cheerful option is a sheet of corrugated cardboard - the sort of stuff they make boxes out of. If you can find some about quarter/half inch thick (ask at one of the electrical stores for some of the packing which comes around fridges etc.) this is best. I know it might sound a rubbish solution :) but this was the standard way of preventing moisture build up when I started motorhoming in the 80's. Our first van had the same cardboard under the overcab bed for about 5 years until the motorhome was sold and never had any more problems with mildew under the bed. The next moho had slats which did the same job.

OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
Thank you all for your great replies and although I favoured cutting slots (reduces weight) I am unhappy about the temp gradient but boy I did not expect such good alternatives sponge or cardboard is the way to go!
:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Obviously prevention is better than cure BUT if you are unfortunate enough to have black mould staining the best product I have ever come across to remove it is HG mould spray, in all good hardware stores and definitely in Lakeland stores. Spray it on the stains, leave for 20 min and the mould literally dissolves in front of your eyes, try it:thumb::thumb:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I agree. Dont wet it in the first place:winky::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Slats :thumb:eek:r slots :thumb:If you put enough slots its just the same as slats ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back