MOTs ain't that easy!! (1 Viewer)

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Many thanks to all for your replies ref an MOT in Lincolnshire, The story goes on ...
At 35' we didn't fit into Allenby Commercials, lovely helpful people but sadly we're jus too long. Same story in almost all other places, either axles too far apart, too high, too high etc - one even said for £50 it wasn't worth the trouble. So we booked into Holland Bros on the outer circle in Lincoln, lovely big place, good access etc - got a phone call, they've gone bankrupt so our MOT cancelled. OK, there's always VOSA in Grantham - no chance, sometimes do rv MOTs but sadly not now, or for the foreseeable future. Oops, good job we started early - now booked into Peterborough who only have 2 rv men, not full time so a choice of dates - 23 April or 4 June. Is life really this difficult or are we just making it imposible?
Jan

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Many thanks to all for your replies ref an MOT in Lincolnshire, The story goes on ...
At 35' we didn't fit into Allenby Commercials, lovely helpful people but sadly we're jus too long. Same story in almost all other places, either axles too far apart, too high, too high etc - one even said for £50 it wasn't worth the trouble. So we booked into Holland Bros on the outer circle in Lincoln, lovely big place, good access etc - got a phone call, they've gone bankrupt so our MOT cancelled. OK, there's always VOSA in Grantham - no chance, sometimes do rv MOTs but sadly not now, or for the foreseeable future. Oops, good job we started early - now booked into Peterborough who only have 2 rv men, not full time so a choice of dates - 23 April or 4 June. Is life really this difficult or are we just making it imposible?
Jan

Crikey....Holland Brothers gone bust! The options are getting less.

You're right about Allenby Commercials.A bunch of very fair guys there and very enthusiastic.
Sorry..Can't think of anywhere else at the moment.:Doh:

Hope you get it sorted.I'm having similar problems finding someone to look at my RV for servicing work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Jan these maybe closer for you

Yardleys
Kirkby Folly Road
Kirkby-in- Ashfield
Near Mansfield Notts
01623 555 264
No Size restrictions
I must warn you as you aproach the place you may think someones pulled your leg, its looks small but it has huge workshop /test lane at the rear
Geo
PS I use them for my RV

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
If your stuck try the guy who has done mine , very fair does not fix any faults so has nothing to gain. Robin on 01332 332980. Its a bus garage in Derby i have been happy there. Pulled me up on head lights first time, helped me adjust the beam bender stick on things no problem since. You drive it through the test .

Regards

Lampie

kerberus

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
sittingbourne ,kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
hi jan'

have just MOT my gulfstream sunvoyager, & no what problems you are having,
most of the companys that I contatced said it was to tall or to long & did not have anybody that could test that class of vehicle, In the end I booked the Rv in with my local VOSA test centre, which is a round trip of over two hours from where I keep the Rv.
keep at it and dont give in.

Dean,

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We're off on our UK trip on Saturday, getting to Motorhome Medics for the habitation service on Monday morning. Then we go to Pearce Bros at Avonmouth, who do a service/MOT check on Tuesday morning, booked in for the MOT at Bristol Council depot at 2 that afternoon, same guy has handled the MOT for each of the last three years - straight but sympathetic! Then we're off to Van Bitz for the security system checkover, and whoopee, back home to France.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: We're calling in en route Tuesday pm on Adventure Motorhomes at Bridgwater (MHFun Trade Member) as they can supply a new box for our Magicsat much cheaper than we could get it from the dealers - we love it:roflmto::roflmto:

We can recommend all of these - Pearce Bros have looked after us for years, and MHM are a good couple of guys that do what we want at a sensible price. The Van Bitz security system gives us peace of mind all night every night, so it's worth every penny.

Cheers

Bob and Di

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We're off on our UK trip on Saturday, getting to Motorhome Medics for the habitation service on Monday morning. Then we go to Pearce Bros at Avonmouth, who do a service/MOT check on Tuesday morning, booked in for the MOT at Bristol Council depot at 2 that afternoon, same guy has handled the MOT for each of the last three years - straight but sympathetic! Then we're off to Van Bitz for the security system checkover, and whoopee, back home to France.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: We're calling in en route Tuesday pm on Adventure Motorhomes at Bridgwater (MHFun Trade Member) as they can supply a new box for our Magicsat much cheaper than we could get it from the dealers - we love it:roflmto::roflmto:

We can recommend all of these - Pearce Bros have looked after us for years, and MHM are a good couple of guys that do what we want at a sensible price. The Van Bitz security system gives us peace of mind all night every night, so it's worth every penny.

Cheers

Bob and Di

Motorhome medics did my MOT and service and think they used next door for the MOT.

This was nearly 2 years ago though and had the last one done at the ministry site near us.

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Having been in the trade!
I found a great MOT test center when i was in Hertfordshire!
Jacks Hill Motors,
Jacks Hill,
Great North Road,
Gravely,
Nr Hitchin,
Hertfordshire,
01462 685466
They do Class 4 Class 7 and LGVs
I found them to be very good!:thumb:

OP
OP
J

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Once again, thanks to you all - addresses now noted in my rv book for future use. Hopefully VOSA at Peterborough won't suffer any massive disaster before we get tested next week.

Jan

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Jan
When we had Rocky MOTed we went to SFS in Northampton. They do all the council trucks and buses etc and seem very fair and helpful. There is always room to get in and out although it is a bit tight :thumb:
Hope this helps

Keith

OP
OP
J

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
MOT success!

Today, after being up most of the night with a sick dog, we bit the bullet and went to Peterborough VOSA, in the most awful weather, for our MOT. We'd left loads of time which was a good thing. We'd also left loads of belongings behind on site which was also a good thing because they weighed us. Merv had to drive her through and do all the bits himself which was a bit on the un-nerving side, but as an ex-HGV it all came back to him.

Only one problem we'd never even thought about having taken screwdriver for adjusting lights, high viz jackets, spare bulbs etc etc, was that we were required to reverse up a fairly steep ramp thing and couldn't because we have a dropper on our towbar for the trailer and it wouldn't undo itself on the day. Fortunately this didn't fail us, but Merv was drenched after kneeling in a puddle trying to get the wretched thing apart. Happy days.

Now having a beer to celebrate, thanks to you all for your help. information and tips, all recorded and remembered.

Jan and Merv

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
I know it's a little late now, but there is a very good independant MOT garage in Newark. I put off posting this until I was sure it was still there and it is and the Winnie is booked in for it's MOT on Tuesday.

I suspect that this testing station has a bit of the monopoly on larger privately owned vehicles as it had a couple of RV's in probably from Brownhills which is literally just around the corner and was only spitting distance from Transleisure.

They tell me that they can take anything up to 45 foot for MOTing and seem to have a reasonable ammount of knowledge about RV's.

Just for future reference, the garage is:

Alistair Christie Motor Repairs
Units 3a - 3c Brunel Drive
Newark Industrial Estate
Newark
NG24 2DE

Stupidly I didn't get the telephone number but will when I take the Winnie should anybody want it.

OP
OP
J

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Alistair Christie one of our original choices, no length restriction but maximum height too low for us. Shame really because they are only 6 miles from where we are at the moment. Big learning curve!
Jan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back