Motorway tolls Slovenia (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Info please, are these motorways pay as you go with Credit Card for 3.5ton plus or do you need a tag. as in Austria.
Many thanks
Martin

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Go box from the border. €10 deposit + €25 preloaded.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Info please, are these motorways pay as you go with Credit Card for 3.5ton plus or do you need a tag. as in Austria.
Many thanks
Martin

Hi - google the DARS Toll system in Slovenia- register for a darsgo box - they will confirm with a registration certificate - take that to a filling station that advertises it has darsgo and give them the certificate number - they will access the system - sell you a box for 10 Euro and ask you how much you want to load it with - mount it in the bottom centre of your windscreen with the sticky bracket provided - all done :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As much as I try to help on this.... there are only about 2 toll roads in Slovenia, north to south and west to east and you could drive the whole lot in a couple of hours...

Unless you are driving straight through I wouldn’t bother, I spent 2mths out there and never saw a toll road....
it’s a beautiful country and most roads are good, set your sat-nav to non tolls and you’ll see a much better place and it’ll be a very much more enjoyable trip..

I’ve done over 30,000 miles in the last 3yrs in Europe and haven’t been on a toll road and seen some wonderful places you would never have seen on a motorway....

Spend your toll fees on a on a lovely lunch watching life go by...:D

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Looking at the Costs of a three axle MH I will be going for the non toll routes.
Thanks again.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Looking to do the last but of the Romantic Road then cross Austria to either Northern Italy or Slovenia / Croatia early Sept this year in a 4.5t van (depending on the weather). Looking at previous posts on a few forums there is a lot of conflicting info on the need for Go box,s in Austria and Slovenia. The conclusion I’ve come to is that there is no need to buy the two box’s and the non toll roads are doable that time of year and 3.5t limits on some roads apply to HGV’s only .... am I right ?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Looking to do the last but of the Romantic Road then cross Austria to either Northern Italy or Slovenia / Croatia early Sept this year in a 4.5t van (depending on the weather). Looking at previous posts on a few forums there is a lot of conflicting info on the need for Go box,s in Austria and Slovenia. The conclusion I’ve come to is that there is no need to buy the two box’s and the non toll roads are doable that time of year and 3.5t limits on some roads apply to HGV’s only .... am I right ?
We are doing that route at the same time, we might bump into you, heading down to lake Iseo, I’m just about to ask Parrot Face if he can give me the detailed non toll route from fussen thru Austria down to Italy, I’ve done both Brenner passes on a motorbike but with both of us (us and Howard H) over 3.5t we want to stay off the toll roads.?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have a 3.8t vehicle.
Looking at crossing Austria from Germany to Italy
Ideally we want to a couple of mountain passes (Grossglockner, and Obergurgle)
Do we 'need' a go-box, if we stay off the toll roads?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep, we have never used toll roads in Austria or Slovenia, one thing I found in Austria was to have my satnag set to use "pay per use tolls" & "period tolls" turned off. That's because it tried to make me do a 150 mile detour to avoid a €5 tunnel.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have a 3.8t vehicle.
Looking at crossing Austria from Germany to Italy
Ideally we want to a couple of mountain passes (Grossglockner, amd Obergurgle)
Do we 'need' a go-box, if we stay off the toll roads?
Because of the Go Box charges for a tandem axled MH, we went via Switzerland, and paid the 10 x day pass (valid for 12 x months) for CHF34.00.
If you choose to travel on the non toll routes, but then get diverted on to them due to a serious RTA/RTC, and you don't already have the vignette or Go Box, you can be heavily fined at the next toll booth/check point. It has happened to several others. :(
Before knowing about this, I took the chance, and luckily got away with it.

The other thing I found re the Sat Nag using Truck maps, was that if I left it programmed for a 5.5T MH, it took me grossly out of our way, as apparently many routes through these countries are banned to HGVs. So, re programming it at 3.49T, took me the most direct route. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Because of the Go Box charges for a tandem axled MH, we went via Switzerland, and paid the 10 x day pass (valid for 12 x months) for CHF34.00.
If you choose to travel on the non toll routes, but then get diverted on to them due to a serious RTA/RTC, and you don't already have the vignette or Go Box, you can be heavily fined at the next toll booth/check point. It has happened to several others. :(
Before knowing about this, I took the chance, and luckily got away with it.

The other thing I found re the Sat Nag using Truck maps, was that if I left it programmed for a 5.5T MH, it took me grossly out of our way, as apparently many routes through these countries are banned to HGVs. So, re programming it at 3.49T, took me the most direct route. (y)

Cheers,

Thanks Jock
Am I correct in thinking in Austria
the 'Vignette' is for cars/vans under 3.49t
and the 'GoBox is for vehicles over 3.5t ??

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks Jock
Am I correct in thinking in Austria
the 'Vignette' is for cars/vans under 3.49t
and the 'GoBox is for vehicles over 3.5t ??
Yes. ? For us it would have been too expensive, as our 5.5T tandem axled MH would have been charged as a Truck, hence the much cheaper Swiss option, as we were only passing through.

Cheers,

Jock. ?

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Watch out...I got pulled up by the Slovenian plod just over the border last year for not having a Vignette...didn’t know I had to have one....didn’t see any warning signs.....€300 on the spot fine ☹️

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Watch out...I got pulled up by the Slovenian plod just over the border last year for not having a Vignette...didn’t know I had to have one....didn’t see any warning signs.....€300 on the spot fine ☹
Were you on the motorway when you were fined? After reading this thread it seems we don’t need a vignette for non toll roads. Can anyone confirm if I have this understood correctly?
Thanks Glenn.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Were you on the motorway when you were fined? After reading this thread it seems we don’t need a vignette for non toll roads. Can anyone confirm if I have this understood correctly?
Thanks Glenn.
Yes I’d been on the motorway about 5 mins just after the border crossing. They were flagging down vehicles into a motorway service area. Reckon they make a tidy sum out of it. I am aware of the Vignette system in Switzerland etc but it was first time to Slovenia and as I said I didn’t see a single warning notice on entering Slovenia like you do in Austria and Switzerland. I could have just missed them I suppose in my excitement of entering another country. There didn’t seem to be any leeway as in “well buy the Vignette and don’t do it again, we understand that you are a visitor to our country and didn’t know.....”.

I taught them a lesson though as I made sure I didn’t spend any money in Slovenia on anything and just whizzed off to Croatia....cutting off my nose etc I know but €300 !

I may forgive them one day and go back ☹️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Watch out...I got pulled up by the Slovenian plod just over the border last year for not having a Vignette...didn’t know I had to have one....didn’t see any warning signs.....€300 on the spot fine ☹
OUCH!
A few years ago when we went in on the Autoroute told the girl in the toll booth we were coming off at the first junction Jesesnice and they let us go. When coming out police stopped us at the toll booth told them we had only come from Jesesnice and they let us go.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
OUCH!
A few years ago when we went in on the Autoroute told the girl in the toll booth we were coming off at the first junction Jesesnice and they let us go. When coming out police stopped us at the toll booth told them we had only come from Jesesnice and they let us go.
You were probably more diplomatic than me....I kicked him just behind the knees so he dropped to the floor then gave him a karate chop to the neck....or was I just dreaming that the next night.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hymerbell, I've posted it before, but there is a route avoiding Slovenian tolls, when heading for Croatia. (y)

Cheers,

Thanks Jock....unfortunately I can’t afford to go there again after my extortionate fine....besides I’m boycotting them as a punishment ?. And after the karate chopping incident I’m probably on their wanted list anyway.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
HaHa just watched the video ?. Very good. If I had been travelling with them I’d have been more that happy to cough up the €300....maybe more ! They’re not your daughters are they ?

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2019, a bit before lockdown!
Yes I’d been on the motorway about 5 mins just after the border crossing. They were flagging down vehicles into a motorway service area. Reckon they make a tidy sum out of it. I am aware of the Vignette system in Switzerland etc but it was first time to Slovenia and as I said I didn’t see a single warning notice on entering Slovenia like you do in Austria and Switzerland. I could have just missed them I suppose in my excitement of entering another country. There didn’t seem to be any leeway as in “well buy the Vignette and don’t do it again, we understand that you are a visitor to our country and didn’t know.....”.

I taught them a lesson though as I made sure I didn’t spend any money in Slovenia on anything and just whizzed off to Croatia....cutting off my nose etc I know but €300 !

I may forgive them one day and go back ☹
Sorry, are you saying you now have to buy a vignette before entering Slovenia irrespective of whether you will use the motorways?
We are probably heading that way this summer in our 3.5 pvc, so just catching up on the different requirements in each country. We are new to travelling with the van but have been to France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Austria etc in a car some years ago. Son has been down to Slovenia a few years ago but he was in a 7seater Bongo, so his info may not always be relevant as he would be treated as a car.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Sorry, are you saying you now have to buy a vignette before entering Slovenia irrespective of whether you will use the motorways?
We are probably heading that way this summer in our 3.5 pvc, so just catching up on the different requirements in each country. We are new to travelling with the van but have been to France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Austria etc in a car some years ago. Son has been down to Slovenia a few years ago but he was in a 7seater Bongo, so his info may not always be relevant as he would be treated as a car.
No but you need to stop on the border if you are going to use the Motorway. I recommend joining my boycott and not going to Slovenia at all....do a small detour via Hungary or go via Italy and put the MH on a ferry from Trieste to Umag if there is one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back