LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Did you notice where this is happening, after the toll booth's on the peage motorways..
Some vehicles use the toll rd to speed their journey, after blasting along they fail to slow to the legal approach speeds coming up to the pay booth's.. Bingo !!! Mr Plod sitting and waiting for you..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Trucker made me smile.........

"The law is now, you must stay within the law."

So what was the law before ? :LOL:

Not enforced. Twenty years ago, in a different life, the french police just didn't care. I managed an 80mph average from grenoble to calais using only route national. This included two fuel stops and three police "stops". The quotes are because they were completely uninterested once they worked out which side the steering wheel was on and didn't even bother to let me actually stop before waving on. Would not happen now!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought in France the law is the louuur ( with apologies to the memory of Peter Sellers Link Removed )

captain

Free Member
Apr 1, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer S700
Exp
since 2005
It may sound odd but i don't speed, I dive a truck with a tacho so i tend to drive our Hymera the same plus I normally pull a trailer with Mr's Captain's baby on board namely her MX5 so I dont want that falling off!

Captain

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Only my opinion but the speed limits are there for safety. The decreases approaching the peage booths are clearly signed and are there to prevent pile-ups.
Another rule ( advisory or not I don't know) is decreasing your speed in rain on the autoroutes. 130 goes down to 110, 110 areas go down to 90. Decrease of 10km per hour is advised on ordinary roads. Again, for safety.

My partner was killed instantly in an accident on a French autoroute. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the horror that I and his children and mother did. Better to arrive a bit later than not at all.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We seen a fair few french police vans at the top of hills with hand held speed cameras an also hiding in cars with the boot lifted an a cop in the back with the same thing, i suppose ya cant complain if your caught but its so easy to go over the limit with their roads which are a real pleasure to drive on compared to the roads in the UK, i always hate driving from Staffordshire down to Folkstone to catch the tunnel, the journey is three an a half hours long and its the worst three an a half hours of our holiday, motorway repair patches everywhere an part of it is so bumpy (old concrete that has grooves in it)it feels like its going to shake the van to bits - Grrrrr

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thank The Good Lord I will never again ever have to drive in that unpalatable country. (y)(y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We may, or may not, have had the bike maxed out, two up on a French motorway a few years ago.

You'll never take me alive copper.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
"their roads which are a real pleasure to drive on compared to the roads in the UK"
We agree with Toxic Clown's comments - driving on the roads here in France is a pleasure and we hate having to visit the UK where the roads surfaces are poor and roads themselves choked with traffic. OK, so we have to carry the documents for the car and driver, but why waste the time of police checking on identities and details as happens in the UK?
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Am currently in Reading after visiting my godson in Eastbourne,as my partner is Canadian so took the scenic!! route from Dover across Romney Marshes,well Battle really was a Battle!! Lost one of my lovely chrome lorry type wheel trims,plus the scooter nearly jumped off the rack even though travelled hundreds of Kms in France and straps never needed adjusting.
Can't wait to get back to France sorry to say every time I return to what was the lovely country I was born and brought up in notice more deterioration in many things.It does make me sad but is true.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Can't wait to get back to France sorry to say every time I return to what was the lovely country I was born and brought up in notice more deterioration in many things.It does make me sad but is true.

Bet you get your pension from this 'deteriorating' country, though, and not from 'Cinquième République française'. Nothing like knocking your country of birth. (y)(y)

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
We may, or may not, have had the bike maxed out, two up on a French motorway a few years ago.

not much of a challenge on a C90 though is it!!(y)
came back from Laon to calais on the autoroute flat out many years ago, but the bike only managed 50miles to a tank at 120 ish 2 up with her luggage as well(supermoto), so no problems with the timings

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i may be wrong but i'm sure i read somewhere recently that british drivers can now be sent fines through the french police being able at access details through the number plate and the dvla..
of course that doesn't stop them issuing on the spot fines if you do wrong and they catch you..

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Only my opinion but the speed limits are there for safety. The decreases approaching the peage booths are clearly signed and are there to prevent pile-ups.
Another rule ( advisory or not I don't know) is decreasing your speed in rain on the autoroutes. 130 goes down to 110, 110 areas go down to 90. Decrease of 10km per hour is advised on ordinary roads. Again, for safety.

My partner was killed instantly in an accident on a French autoroute. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the horror that I and his children and mother did. Better to arrive a bit later than not at all.

so sorry to hear about your partner hollyberry, what an awful tragedy for everyone..

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Yes Tootles I will,however You have wrongly assumed that I have a pension,I am not yet of pensionable age however I paid into the system long enough to qualify for a full pension,the pension I worked many years for and am entitled to am I not??
Fact!I am not knocking my country of birth,if you read the bit you highlighted what did I say?
"The lovely country I was born and brought up in"
Fact ,the roads ARE deteriorating are they not,You must live in cloud cuckoo land if you don't agree.
Around Battle they are horrendous,to the extent that the council instead of fixing them put up signs saying beware!!unsafe roads.
In Reading enjoying a quiet drink outside a pub with friends,opposite was a gypsy encampment,suddenly the youths took to the road on unsilenced motorbikes with no helmets and lets assume no tax or insurance.
I have no problem with the country,just the freeloaders who assume its ok to rock up here claim benefits,pay no road tax or insurance as I always did here.
So don't lie in wait to pick on me,I am just a visitor on holiday making a factual observation,if you can't see it I'll lend you my glasses.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Autoroute south of Geneva in the late '90's - some hooligan got up at 5am to see how fast his 300ZX would go....:RollEyes:

Stick to speed limits nowadays. Mostly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back