LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Do consider that if your pet is not restrained during travel in an emergency stop, or G** forbid, an accident it's a fairly sizeable \ heavy projectile that endangers both the pet and other travellers.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
As far as traveling with dogs goes, Its not ideal, I was born in a home with dogs and have never been without one, but they do cause problems. Molly is an old golden ret. And has kidney problems but because I've changed my way of life doesn't mean that I haven't got serious responsibilities to these girls whose mothers I owned and who I literally delivered into the world.
So if you haven't got this responsibility now think very very carefully about starting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Our dog was part of the reason we have just bought a motorhome.

Our kids have left home and we decided we wanted the freedom to travel round the UK and the dog is an integral part of our family...so we have a harness etc and Indy the dog ( 7 year old puppy.....!) is getting used to Buster the motorhome...

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Ours lays in her bed on the floor between our seats. I keep her short lead on for any stops.

Long lead on a screw peg when we arrive.

Same here, wearing a harness with lead attached. (not to her collar)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it depends very much on the size of the dog and if this isn't an issue with you then get a small one if you want to MH with the mutt!
Our Jack Russell travels in a collapsible cage and sleeps on a bean bag type thing in front of the passenger seat at night.
If we had a Great Dane I guess it would need it's own trailer.
Plenty of folk have Labrador sized pooches and they are lovely dogs but they take up a lot of space - and when wet!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Do consider that if your pet is not restrained during travel in an emergency stop, or G** forbid, an accident it's a fairly sizeable \ heavy projectile that endangers both the pet and other travellers.
From their position, they would end up under the dashboard. No risk to either of us, apart from the fridge now making its way to the front..........

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
From their position, they would end up under the dashboard. No risk to either of us, apart from the fridge now making its way to the front..........

Indeed! Far scarier things behind you in the event of a crash than a couple of dogs at floor level.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Indeed! Far scarier things behind you in the event of a crash than a couple of dogs at floor level.

And what about the endangerment to the pet when he \ she smacks into a solid surface? Or do we not think that's a risk 'cause he \ she didn't use me as a buffer? Mmmmmh.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
image.jpg
This is how ours fits, he sits in between us.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
And what about the endangerment to the pet when he \ she smacks into a solid surface? Or do we not think that's a risk 'cause he \ she didn't use me as a buffer? Mmmmmh.
I thought the use of a harness was not so much to stop injuries to the dog but to stop the dog becoming a missile....

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Broken Link Removedirst and foremost, surely it's got to be to keep him/her safe. As a responsible parent, you wouldn't allow your child to go without a seat belt. To me, I view my dogs in the same way.

Broken Link Removed

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Find that a soft traveller cage is the best option. The dog is happy in a comfortable enclosed area and if it is travel sick then at least you don't have the whole van to clean, but you will need to bath the dog!! Speaking from the experience of a friend.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Broken Link Removedirst and foremost, surely it's got to be to keep him/her safe. As a responsible parent, you wouldn't allow your child to go without a seat belt. To me, I view my dogs in the same way.

Broken Link Removed

Definitely.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yep.. Agreed.. Its more to stop them becoming a missile.. Or running off after an accident
Seatbelts work because they aren't slack... Harnesses are normally slack..

julesandlinda

Free Member
Jun 3, 2014
DONCASTER
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt. Herald RL 400
Exp
Talking of traveling with dogs. We have just bought a "trixie" handle bar dog carrier from Amazon so that when we go out on our bikes Max can come with us. Seems really robust and easy to fit and remove. It is a bit like riding with a shopping tasket on the front of the bike but seems to work really well. He travels in the motorhome with his harness fastened to the seat anchor with no problems.

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
We travel with 2 dogs and wouldn't dream of not taking them! Present husband constructed a dog guard (from bits of crates) that goes behind the cab seats with a gate that we can get thro' Not a thing of beauty but it works well. They tend to both go under the dinette table which is great and where we would chose for them to travel. However, I'm sure the safest method is to use a harness or a secured crate (if you have room). I would never travel with a loose dog in the cab.
On other dog things, strongly recommend the road refresher water bowl - £10 on amazon. Great product - no spillage. A bit awkward to pull apart to wash but wouldn't be with out it after a couple of times where we've forgotten to empty the water bowl before setting off and ended up washing the floor!!
Also recommend the Adorn range of washable mats - they come in different sizes (and colours) and can be cut to fit. Even if we didn't have dogs we'd have replaced the fitted carpet in the MH with these. They do take ages to dry when washed but with them you can be totally chilled about any mud/spillages knowing you can simply stick them in the wash. Unlike a lot of washable mats they are not a loopy sort of pile so don't snag and look tatty quickly. Happy travels!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Talking of traveling with dogs. We have just bought a "trixie" handle bar dog carrier from Amazon so that when we go out on our bikes Max can come with us. Seems really robust and easy to fit and remove. It is a bit like riding with a shopping tasket on the front of the bike but seems to work really well. He travels in the motorhome with his harness fastened to the seat anchor with no problems.

Basket?

We have one of these

Broken Link Removed
http://www.snowpawstore.com/bikejoring-cycling-with-your-dog.html

Freddie loves it but does have a bit of tendency to try and duck between parked cars or into other spaces a bike can't go when he sees a cat or pigeon.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012

Broken Link Removed
Unrestrained kids become missiles also

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
My dog is 76 kilo, she gets in the van, lay's between the front seats with front legs in front of the passenger seat & her back legs wedged between the side facing seats, & she sleeps from the start of the journey till we stop, be it a break or arrived. She is not going anywhere as her head is by the front so nowhere to go forward.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back