Apr 11, 2015
York
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there

We've just bought our first motor home and are looking forward to our first trip on May bank holiday with our 13 year old and our 10 month old. Just wondering if anyone has any top tips on motorhoming with a baby? (Apart from 'DON'T', that is!!;)) To add to the fun she's just mastered the art of crawling and pulling herself up to standing on any handily-sized item of furniture...

Thanks!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi from Devon you've landed on the best motorhome forum and will be the best £10 you ever will have spent brought our kids up traveling all over Europe they loved it
Animated Gif Welcome (18).gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We did it with ours in a caravan. From when our eldest was born then 23 months later when we had twins.
Yes hard work.
Same sort of thing , as a mh though.
In the summer take a blow up paddling pool. Comes in handy as a place to keep the babies outside with a blanket in. Ball pool. Summer a paddling pool.
Play dough was a favourite even they were older with lots of things to stick in it.
We used to go abroad at least once a year too ( package trips) The camping holidays were a lot easier. Take fave foods , treats, books , toys. Just like home . On wheels.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun, no problems just solutions that you will work out we started in motorhomes and caravans with a. 3 year old and 3 month old that was many years ago, without electric and without automatic pumps etc, but what a wonderful child hood they had, and I salute you for taking the plunge and doing it, just a few favourite toys soon it will become 2nd nature enjoy :welc:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We camped and caravanned with 4 kids and like to take grandkids, take spare bedding / blankets and bin liners husband had a great time washing sick out of duvet in middle of night, thought it would be easier if he got naked and took it in the shower, the lights went out and he couldn't see a thing. If it happened again I would just bag it till next day.

:Eeek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Took both my grandkids away with us Uk and on the continent since they were about 9 months old. Never any issues, now they are 7 and 9.
The habitation door was always our main worry in case they went near it and fell out .! So when open we always made sure something was blocking the step. It will all make sense once you start using the van...

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi
We have a 19mth old and recently visited Chester with Motorhome Fun on their Rally.
We had no problems at all although I would suggest planning is the key - especially with meals beforehand.
This was our first trip away in this motorhome however we travelled to Cornwall in our 1974 VW Campervan last year (10mth old at time) and managed although packed to the rafters with pram, high seat, cot, nappies you name it we took it and we managed ok.
I'm sure they'll love it and if they're enjoying it you will

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We had both our grandkids with us for Easter
One 5 years old girl who is a angel (y)
and the monster boy at 18 months :eek::devil:
Two words travel cot
It's a bed and a prison without it it would have been hell
Hardiest and funniest 4 days we have had for a few years
I think I lost a stone
As Elaine would say love em to bits

Last edited:

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Kids and motorhome/camping is fun. We've done it for years. Tents first, then caravans & statics. We're now in an RV but no little ones anymore. The fresh air is great to help them sleep, most people on sites are like minded and relaxed and as you will be relaxed so will your children. The 13 yr old will probably meet loads of new friends and will be safe. As tonka said the door can be a worry but a simple staircase would solve that. Have a great time, after a few trips you'll wish you'd done it years ago.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Have to be honest I think the caravan is more suited. Big awning means lots of safe space and is less effort for mum and dad.

That is slightly skewed though by the type of campervaning we do (rarely more than one night in one place and have only wound the awning out twice)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just be careful how you secure your travel seat for the young 'un - make sure it is next to the wall and not in the centre aisle as it can tip over into the aisle when you go round corners as there's nothing to keep it from doing so.

OP
OP
Liebs

Liebs

Free Member
Apr 11, 2015
York
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks very much for all your advice! Lots of great suggestions to consider before our trip. Travelling with the 10 month old seems a bit daunting at the moment and no doubt the first weekend away will be the hardest, but I'm sure we'll soon get into the swing of things! :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Think about someplace outside to keep the soiled nappies until you dispose of them in a double wrapped and tied bag.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Hi Liebs, don't worry too much. You'll have a fab time. Lots of good tips already, such as travel seat on inside, by window etc. Most of it is common sense stuff you employ at home to keep her safe, such as a sleeping place she can't fall out of.
Just finished our first 12 day trip in our new MH (1300 miles!) with 4 of our girls aged 6 to 14, but had a new caravan in 2008 when our youngest was 3 weeks old, so understand your worries.
As you have 2 kids, you know that you need to be prepared for er 'emissions' both top and bottom. Spare clothes, bedding etc. are a must. My 6 year old has 3/4 accidents a year and of course this happened on our trip, but I purposely left the new plastic on the overcab bed to see how she got on. The sleeping bag got most of it. (y) Given your daughter's age you'll probably be using a cot of some kind, so no worries.
An awning/tent/playpen would be very useful. My youngest was a bum shuffler until about 20 months of age (why walk when you have minion siblings who can bring you stuff?), so would get a very dirty bottom, even in the summer, outside.
None of my kids held much fascination for toilets (and this may not apply to your van), but ours does not have a lock on the toilet door. Also, motor homes have internal steps that you'll need to block off.
Other than that, and having to get used to sleeping somewhere new (wine and earplugs/a hard heart for you, maybe a favourite toy for her- she'll get there eventually, honest :)), it's pretty much another day in mummy's office. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Liebs

Liebs

Free Member
Apr 11, 2015
York
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Wildman and Jeannette! A few more things to think about there. I feel a list coming on...!

I have to confess that the one thing we really don't have sorted is somewhere for her to sleep. Our travel cot is too big once the bench seat is converted into a bed, so that's no good. If all else fails, I'll sleep with her on the double at the front and her sister can sleep on the fixed bed at the back with her Dad but that's not ideal... does anyone know of any more compact travel cots suitable for a 10 month old?

OP
OP
Liebs

Liebs

Free Member
Apr 11, 2015
York
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Interesting... that might just work! Thanks!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Wildman and Jeannette! A few more things to think about there. I feel a list coming on...!

I have to confess that the one thing we really don't have sorted is somewhere for her to sleep. Our travel cot is too big once the bench seat is converted into a bed, so that's no good. If all else fails, I'll sleep with her on the double at the front and her sister can sleep on the fixed bed at the back with her Dad but that's not ideal... does anyone know of any more compact travel cots suitable for a 10 month old?
Liebs - what MH have you got, I'm trying to 'visualise' it but can't!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we had an old caravan with an awning , took the kids away in it a lot of times, my wife would sleep in the caravan with our two youngest aged 10 months and 4 years , my son aged 7 always wanted to sleep with his dad in the awning , in those days you could get a CCL for £2.00 a day , the kids will remember those camping trips for a long time .

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Josh was 4months old when we started camping.our advice to you is get out there and do it and enjoy.Josh is almost 20yrs old now and talking about saving for his first motorhome(y)
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Liebs

Liebs

Free Member
Apr 11, 2015
York
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Minxygirl - it's a Burstner Delfin T821. So a fixed double above the garage at the back and bench seating at the front that converts to another double. Not much floor space left when you've done that, though! The sleeping arrangements won't be an issue for very long as she won't be a baby forever; we just need to find a solution for the first year or so, whether it be a smaller travel cot or me sleeping with her at the front for the time being.

OP
OP
Liebs

Liebs

Free Member
Apr 11, 2015
York
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We may well forget to pack all kinds of 'essentials' on our first trip but the wine will definitely NOT be left behind!!! :)

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
I have always found that strapping the little angels on the front of the bonnet helps to occupy them , only problem is trying to remove the dead flies and insects from their faces .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I noticed that none of the miserable gits have responded on this thread so feel I have to step in and fill the gap ;):p

Please announce on here where you will be staying so we can stay elsewhere. It is a toss up as to which is the most annoying noise on the planet. Crying baby, Barking dog or bass speaker going thud, thud, thud.:mad:

Your kids will love it however I am sure (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just be careful how you secure your travel seat for the young 'un - make sure it is next to the wall and not in the centre aisle as it can tip over into the aisle when you go round corners as there's nothing to keep it from doing so.

I always sit in the back in the aisle seat when we have grandson with us. He loves the van, gets tired with all the fresh air and walks and playing ....... then he ASKS to go to bed :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back