Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many of the motorhomers I have met are a canny lot when it comes to saving a few quid whilst pursuing their hobby. If you know some good tips about Motorhoming on a budget please do share them with us here.

Thanks in anticipation:Smile:

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
A large storage box to fit on the fiamma cycle rack would be handy, just had a look on ebay and the thought of paying £250+ for a plasticy box thingy is too much for a tight wad like me.

Has anyone built a storage box and any tips on materials and fastenings.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile: and if you are single, meet another single who already has one so you don't need one of your own...:Smile:

Storage boxes for food can be too big sometimes for the small fridges in some motorhomes, so rather than buying new ones, wash and use the empty yoghurt/cottage cheese containers with plastic lids to put chopped onions/peppers, etc., in the fridge and this saves time when preparing food when away too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We do the same thing with the containers from chinese carry out food..nice little plastic ones that house your curry/chow mein/rice etc..and I don't buy the water containers from camping shops I just reuse the 5 liter supermarket own brands that we used to buy occasionally

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We do the same thing with the containers from chinese carry out food..nice little plastic ones that house your curry/chow mein/rice etc..and I don't buy the water containers from camping shops I just reuse the 5 liter supermarket own brands that we used to buy occasionally

Same here :thumb:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
A large storage box to fit on the fiamma cycle rack would be handy, just had a look on ebay and the thought of paying £250+ for a plasticy box thingy is too much for a tight wad like me.

Has anyone built a storage box and any tips on materials and fastenings.

A guy we came across with some very fine looking but unusual boxes built in and on, explained to me that he was used to dealing with the building of horse boxes and wagons. He said they are used to the work in a tough competetive environment so they build tough and much cheaper...:thumb: Cheers, Alan!:winky:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Rojo.... just love the little hedgehog:Smile:

back to topic. To save cleaning on your carpets if you have a dog and it is raining, the huge rolls of tissue type paper that florists have (very wide ones) are dirt cheap and can be rolled onto the carpet before you bring your dog in. Then can be thrown away when finished with....

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
Cheers, I was thinking about marineply and some sort and angle bracket.

We have just put the Motorhome away for the winter, therefore, plenty of time to spend in the workshop/shed. Obviously the design and development stage is critical.

I can't believe some funsters have not made thier own rear storage box.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
We have seen a lot of home made back boxes just how you are describing so yes try it as you say they are very expensive and the shape is wrong as the wider bit should be at the bottom and then I would get more in.:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
make sure is is quick release and narrow enough to go through the door so you can carry it inside the motorhome until you get off the ferry etc, to keep overall length as short as possible. Aluminium is lighter and no angle needed, just fold and rivet. Small drawers in the bottom will save you crawlin in to get at those od bits at the bottom. don't forget signage and decent padlocks.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Joy, you know the hedgehog, are you sure it isn't an Emu?

Which one of us needs to go to specsavers? I mean that, will someone else please adjudicate!!

(Bit like those 'Colour Blindness' tests, they tell you you should be able to see a Bambi and I can see a Rabbit LOL)

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
As we use our Motorhome mainly for when we go to sailing events we have to tow a trailer with Emilys boat on. Sometimes we may take along her friend which means an extra boat and a double stacking boat trailer. These cost over £1000 to buy but Graham has made a frame that he fits onto the trailer out of wood from B&Q and covered it in carpet, all for £30.

Dale

www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk - Norfolk Meet in November 5th-7th or longer if you wish

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
We have fixed a section of fall pipe with screw ends onto the bike rack to put the windbreak in. It fits great and saves having it inside the van. :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Joy, you know the hedgehog, are you sure it isn't an Emu?

Which one of us needs to go to specsavers? I mean that, will someone else please adjudicate!!

(Bit like those 'Colour Blindness' tests, they tell you you should be able to see a Bambi and I can see a Rabbit LOL)

EMU

Mel:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Sedge EMU :thumb:

Mel

Attachments

• emu.doc
    28 KB · Views: 40

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many of the motorhomers I have met are a canny lot when it comes to saving a few quid whilst pursuing their hobby. If you know some good tips about Motorhoming on a budget please do share them with us here.

The obvious one is - buy second hand. Let someone else take The Big Hit and do are the warranty work.

We're talking of saving thousands or tens of thousands here.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
IMHO Apart from the plastic type boxes, the only practical material is ally. which you can't make yourself unless you have access to equipment to cut/fold/ weld it.
Nothing is impossible, but I don't like wood for this type of thing. Some WILL come on here and say they can make an ally box without the proper kit, if you have not sheet metal experience, the finished job is unlikely to look professional, and would probably take a lot of time to make. I am happy to be proved wrong:ROFLMAO::thumb:
If you buy a proper one-----then eventually decide to sell---you will get a major part of the cost back-------------do it quickly----I am soon to be in the market for one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Nigel

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
OOooops. sorry ... didn't know emus had sticky out ears...:Smile: Ya learn sumfin every day.:thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow. You lot.... now you won't believe this at first.. but go back and look again.... Remember Einstein thought outside the box.... well, we must have the same genes.... WHAT? Don't even go there.

Now, look at the two nose holes... I thought those were his eyes. Look at his eyes.... I thought those were his ear holes..... got it! Voila! HEDGEHOG!

:ROFLMAO: Jenny, I have made the appointment for me for Monday...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Now, look at the two nose holes... I thought those were his eyes. Look at his eyes.... I thought those were his ear holes..... got it! Voila! HEDGEHOG!

You know the TV advert where the the woman tells her grandson about buying a new VW with 3 years servicing for just £250, and he asks her if they put real wine in her winegums....

....what sweets did you get for trick and treat....and did you try any? :RollEyes:

No....wait....I can see it now....yes....a smiling hedgehog :thumb:

(It was worth drinking that extra glass of sherry after all...)

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

I could tell you how to get a new/nearly new motorhome for the cost of an old starter van - and with no running costs, no insurance costs, no storage costs or anything....but you will just have to wait::bigsmile::winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Best money saving idea is to write down all your ideas on a piece of paper,then take a trip out to Morocco for 3 months,get your ideas made up and all your servicing done whilst sitting on the beach in the winter sun.Then come home and count up how much you have saved by sitting on the beach.Get your solar panels fitted at a quarter of the UK price,I had 3 X 75 watt fitted for 300 Euros,when there was 1.5 to the £.Any paintwork touchups you need doing,reupholstery etc.If you have any broken electrical apliences or for that matter mechanical appliences,take them too and get them repaired.If you need an engine rebuild ,take the parts with you and get the job done at a tenth of the UK price.Was quoted £800 for a new kingpin in the UK,done in Morocco for £12.Get long range fuel tanks fitted out there for next to nothing,fill up with cheap fuel before leaving,then topup in Spain before crossing the border to France and your fueltanks are free.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Cheap/free days out at various UK visitor attractions when touring:

1. Get a Tesco Clubcard
2. Look out for their '1000 extra Clubcard points' offers on relatively cheap but popular items. Mobile phones are ideal, with some as little as £14.99 each.
3. Buy as many of the special offer items as you can reasonably afford, and notch up your Clubcard points by the thousands.
4. Immediately flog all the items you've just bought by listing them on eBay as 'New/Unused' with maybe a pound or so knocked off the RRP, and free P&P. Post them second class.
5. Trade up your extra Clubcard points for Reward points connected with specific visitor attractions (see the extensive list on the Clubcard website). 1000 Clubcard points can equal as much as £40 in Reward points.
6. Enjoy your trips out knowing you've paid very little for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back