Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looking to fit wifi to my van from the above company.They supply a panel van ridged roof kit for fitting the roof antenna.It looks like a foam disc.Has anyone any experience of this piece of this kit.Does it do the job and does it stand the test of time

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Looking to fit wifi to my van from the above company.They supply a panel van ridged roof kit for fitting the roof antenna.It looks like a foam disc.Has anyone any experience of this piece of this kit.Does it do the job and does it stand the test of time
This is a link to a company selling the mounts and antennas, maybe you can find out more there.

<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's motorhomewifi.com fitting.It's a foam disc that fits under the antenna for fitting to a ridged roof.It's this disc that I'm querying

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's motorhomewifi.com fitting.It's a foam disc that fits under the antenna for fitting to a ridged roof.It's this disc that I'm querying
Which antenna?

I fitted a Poynting MIMO (4g Antenna not wifi) I took the foam pad off and used Sikaflex on a CB roof.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We have the WiFi system but didn’t get the adaptor pad, hubby made a bracket etc as our van also has an uneven roof. I use a Vodafone sim in it. This year parked up at John O’Groats daughter in the van parked next to us didn’t have any phone signal, not sure which networks but I believe one was Vodafone however both grandsons logged onto my internet on their tablets, once daughter realised they watched a film on Netflix, not sure if the boys then wanted the film or carried on with tablets.I had given them the log in last year when they visited us so it is secure only people with your password can access it. Hope that info helps.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Strictly speaking it isn't essential but if you want to make a neat job then I would use it. All it does is fill the gaps under the antenna and keeps crud out. The hole for the mounting stud goes through a raised bit of the roof. You could fashion something yourself with closed cell foam but compared to the overall cost of the system the cost of the "proper" bit is neglible. This assumes of course you are mounting the antenna on the wriggly bit of the roof. I mounted mine on the flat bit of the PVC cab roof above the front seats as it was just easier to access the underside here.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I bought a Panorama antenna (the make rebranded by MotorhomeWiFi) and the foam ridge adapter from Reichelt earlier in the year.

The ridge kit is a piece of expanded closed-cell EPDM foam about 25mm thick. The edges have an open cellular structure (albeit closed-cell construction) rather than a smooth finish. The instructions state that it must be compressed by at least 70% to form a waterproof seal, and that it should not be used on ridges roofs where the ridge height is greater than 8mm.

By my measurements, the height of the ridges on Sevel van roofs is a little more than that, and I had concerns that it might not stop moisture finding its way beneath the foam within the gulleys, which could cause corrosion over the longer term. Whilst EPDM should be weather resistant, I also had concerns that it may degrade over a longer period of time, and that once the antenna was fitted in place, it would be a nightmare to have to remove it subsequently if it became necessary to replace or make good the foam seal.

In the end, I fitted the antenna on the fairly flat panel at the rear of the roof, immediately above the high level stop lamp. Although the panel curves slightly, it is flat enough to obtain a good seal around the mounting hole, and I sealed the small gap around the edge of the antenna base with mastic.

If you buy the Panorama equipment from Reichelt or another Panorama stockist, whilst somewhat cheaper than MotorhomeWiFi's prices, the foam pad as sold by Panorama themselves does not come with the extra long mounting thread extender that MotorhomeWiFi add to their kit. That's not a problem on a single skin metal panel van roof, if you have good access or assistance to be able to compress the pad sufficiently from above to be able to get the fixing nut on the thread of the antenna mounting boss. But on a laminated or composite panel more than a couple of mm thick, you would need the extension tube that AFAIK only MotorhomeWiFi supply.

OP
OP
D

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you Derek this is just what I was after.You have helped me decide,I'll fit on a flat area of the roof.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you buy the Panorama equipment from Reichelt or another Panorama stockist, whilst somewhat cheaper than MotorhomeWiFi's prices, the foam pad as sold by Panorama themselves does not come with the extra long mounting thread extender that MotorhomeWiFi add to their kit. That's not a problem on a single skin metal panel van roof, if you have good access or assistance to be able to compress the pad sufficiently from above to be able to get the fixing nut on the thread of the antenna mounting boss. But on a laminated or composite panel more than a couple of mm thick, you would need the extension tube that AFAIK only MotorhomeWiFi supply. lack of extension tube is the only difference
If the lack of extension tube is the only difference then maybe just bonding antenna on the roof ( for thicker roofs) without using the foam would be an option.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the lack of extension tube is the only difference then maybe just bonding antenna on the roof ( for thicker roofs) without using the foam would be an option.
That is what I did with my Poynting one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back