Motorhomes with over dinette beds? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
You may be looking at the Adria Coral which does not have a drop down bed, Its the Adria Matrix that has a drop down bed

The drop down bed in ours does not really come down very far and still needs a ladder to get in.
Thanks, must have been. Now found a few of the matrix to look at 👍

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've read up a little on the model, do you find the wardrobe against the island bed is in any way intrusive as suggested in the review I read?

Any issues with the electric operation of the drop down bed, I know people have had issues on certain models with microswitches etc causing issues.
No the wardrobe is slightly awkward for the person sleeping against the wall if someone on outside. My wife is used to it now and has no problems in getting out during the night. There is a small storage cupboard underneath you have to clear to get out bottom of the bed so doesn’t really cause an issue,pro about 18 inch deep from memory. Can take some pictures tomorrow if it helps
The bed has been faultless so far, tends to get used a lot as the grandchildren like to go in when at our house.

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
No the wardrobe is slightly awkward for the person sleeping against the wall if someone on outside. My wife is used to it now and has no problems in getting out during the night. There is a small storage cupboard underneath you have to clear to get out bottom of the bed so doesn’t really cause an issue,pro about 18 inch deep from memory. Can take some pictures tomorrow if it helps
The bed has been faultless so far, tends to get used a lot as the grandchildren like to go in when at our house.
Sounds like it's something that can be worked around and gotten used to in time.
If you could let me see a any photos that would be a great help, thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Sounds like a lovely van. I've had a look if I can find reviews but the 2018 models I've seen have the single beds at the back but no drop down bed. If possible could you provide a link as I'd does sound just like what we are looking for, possibly out of our price range however.
As earlier poster clarified, ours is Matrix Plus 670 SLT ... and ladders are needed for the over lounge bed, but the seating area underneath also converts into a large single bed, it has 5 belted seats as a bonus. One of the great features as far as we are concerned is that you can still get in and out of the van with the electric bed lowered down, without having to duck/crawl underneath. We hadn't really looked at Adria's but so pleased we didn't just dismiss it as soon as we saw the two rear single beds. I don't think there are a lot of them around with the same spec but there lots of other great motorhomes out there that will have their own plus points over ours. I would have preferred Alde heating for instance and a full oven/grill with electric hotplate. We've just added a microwave so need to resite the TV. I suppose what I am trying to say is that you need to get as close to your 'best fit' that you can, so the structure bits need to be in place, you just add or change the other bits if you really need them.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We have a 2011 7.3m Benimar Europe 740. It has a fixed sideways double at the back and a fixed double over-cab, too. The dining area also turns into a double, if you ever need it. I have the back one and my husband has the over-cab. No problem with disturbing each other, as we can go to bed at the same time but if one of us wants to read or watch tv on a laptop, there's plenty of room/lighting to do so. No having to drop down a bed while the other is asleep :)

Attachments

• IMG_3831 001.jpg
    IMG_3831 001.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 14
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Like you, we did extensive research on motorhomes. For us, the NEC show was the best event for seeing what the design geniuses can do when it comes to best use of space. We were lucky. We were buying new, and had a budget of sixty grand. We chanced upon Rimor, which isn't one of the better known Trigano names, so was much cheaper, but the model we went for fitted the bill for most of our priorities.

The disadvantage you have at the moment is that right now, second hand motorhomes are worth their weight in gold. One year ago, I was offered the same price for our three year old motorhome, that we had paid for it! Following Covid, I think more and more people will come to see that flying, Gite & house hire, cruises, etc are far less attractive and so the demand is likely to continue to stay strong. You may be advised to buy something now and then make more compromises and adaptations than you wanted to.

Personal opinion, but I agree that making up a dinette bed is a pain in the arse. Even with a mattress topper, the sofa seat cushion jigsaw is often really uncomfortable. Stick with your notion of at least one fixed bed.

Supplied mattresses are often cheap and thin. Your first investment should be to get a bespoke dual (or triple) layer mattress. I have used two companies in the past Bodymould and Efoam. Can recommend both, especially the Bodymould "Airflow" mattress. Bloody expensive though, and likely to be much heavier. If the original mattress is still wrapped in polythene, leave it and you can flog it.

Our electric mid bed has a chamfered corner so that when down, you can easily get in and out of the hab door. I don't know of any moho design that isn't A class, that allows a full sized rectangular middle electric bed and a hab door positioned so that you can get in out. Most A classes don't have this problem. Having a chamfered corner, means that a bespoke shaped mattress is a must.

Keep looking but remember that many more people are now also looking!! Best of luck.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Finally managed to get out when rain eased 😂 hope these help. The wardrobe is not that intrusive, tried to tak pictures from bed so can see how far it covers end of bed. The other pictures are the bed in up position, it come to habitation door but does not cover it, the bed is rectangular with no corner cut off. The cab picture shows the shelf the bed comes down to so mattress sits above just a little higher than the seat position
BED3A8FA-983F-4852-AE38-9E82B4CAB104.jpeg5D12FC55-5BA4-479B-8F88-8C66182DC325.jpeg97758854-49A3-4E65-8509-B5E46B7FE660.jpegEAE7AF81-5336-4083-B1DF-8C56FDD37871.jpegDE94029F-7CC3-41C2-BCF9-49EDE304653B.jpegSorry pictures are a bit dull but took with iPad in between rain

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We have 5.99m Burstner Ixeo that has ONLY a drop down bed [transverse] so at 3am it's '1 out, all out'. But this is the compromise for having a lot of day living space in a small Van. Have seen photos of the 6.9m version and lusted after the space and better usability onsite, but wee Brunhilde enables us to get into spaces that the larger Van could not, so, if we were to change the Van, we would only be changing the compromise ... Just over a week ago we pitched up at a Nature Reserve and managed to get into a parking space that normally accommodates cars and small people carriers.

Steve & Elaine
Definite advantages with the smaller van, we have considered this but having had a caravan previously we definitely like the extra space but realise, driving and parking will be more difficult.
As earlier poster clarified, ours is Matrix Plus 670 SLT ... and ladders are needed for the over lounge bed, but the seating area underneath also converts into a large single bed, it has 5 belted seats as a bonus. One of the great features as far as we are concerned is that you can still get in and out of the van with the electric bed lowered down, without having to duck/crawl underneath. We hadn't really looked at Adria's but so pleased we didn't just dismiss it as soon as we saw the two rear single beds. I don't think there are a lot of them around with the same spec but there lots of other great motorhomes out there that will have their own plus points over ours. I would have preferred Alde heating for instance and a full oven/grill with electric hotplate. We've just added a microwave so need to resite the TV. I suppose what I am trying to say is that you need to get as close to your 'best fit' that you can, so the structure bits need to be in place, you just add or change the other bits if you really need them.
As you say, everything is a compromise to some extent.
We both really like the idea of the bed over the dinette and the Adrias do seem to be good vans.

It's a very difficult buyers market obviously at the moment with the staycation trend as it is, we may well have to show some patience waiting for the right van to become available.
We have a 2011 7.3m Benimar Europe 740. It has a fixed sideways double at the back and a fixed double over-cab, too. The dining area also turns into a double, if you ever need it. I have the back one and my husband has the over-cab. No problem with disturbing each other, as we can go to bed at the same time but if one of us wants to read or watch tv on a laptop, there's plenty of room/lighting to do so. No having to drop down a bed while the other is asleep :)
I'll check the model out, looked at a few over the cab vans and some are more spacious than others, although don't know how I'd get on up and down a ladder through the night!
Like you, we did extensive research on motorhomes. For us, the NEC show was the best event for seeing what the design geniuses can do when it comes to best use of space. We were lucky. We were buying new, and had a budget of sixty grand. We chanced upon Rimor, which isn't one of the better known Trigano names, so was much cheaper, but the model we went for fitted the bill for most of our priorities.

The disadvantage you have at the moment is that right now, second hand motorhomes are worth their weight in gold. One year ago, I was offered the same price for our three year old motorhome, that we had paid for it! Following Covid, I think more and more people will come to see that flying, Gite & house hire, cruises, etc are far less attractive and so the demand is likely to continue to stay strong. You may be advised to buy something now and then make more compromises and adaptations than you wanted to.

Personal opinion, but I agree that making up a dinette bed is a pain in the arse. Even with a mattress topper, the sofa seat cushion jigsaw is often really uncomfortable. Stick with your notion of at least one fixed bed.

Supplied mattresses are often cheap and thin. Your first investment should be to get a bespoke dual (or triple) layer mattress. I have used two companies in the past Bodymould and Efoam. Can recommend both, especially the Bodymould "Airflow" mattress. Bloody expensive though, and likely to be much heavier. If the original mattress is still wrapped in polythene, leave it and you can flog it.

Our electric mid bed has a chamfered corner so that when down, you can easily get in and out of the hab door. I don't know of any moho design that isn't A class, that allows a full sized rectangular middle electric bed and a hab door positioned so that you can get in out. Most A classes don't have this problem. Having a chamfered corner, means that a bespoke shaped mattress is a must.

Keep looking but remember that many more people are now also looking!! Best of luck.
Some nuggets of information, thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Like you I find making up lounge areas to beds a pain but more than that I just never felt comfortable on them in our previous caravan, I know you can use toppers (used them in the past) but no substitute for a decent mattress!

We realise it's a dad time to be buying, it's typical that it's coincided with my retirement next month, just going to have to be patient in finding the right van.

It's frustrating as it's one of those situations where you always look and think adding a few thousand to the total would get that better fit but I don't want to blow all my pension 🤣

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Finally managed to get out when rain eased 😂 hope these help. The wardrobe is not that intrusive, tried to tak pictures from bed so can see how far it covers end of bed. The other pictures are the bed in up position, it come to habitation door but does not cover it, the bed is rectangular with no corner cut off. The cab picture shows the shelf the bed comes down to so mattress sits above just a little higher than the seat position
View attachment 536700View attachment 536701View attachment 536702View attachment 536703View attachment 536704Sorry pictures are a bit dull but took with iPad in between rain
Thanks for the photos. Like the look of that layout, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for in an ideal world.

Still not sure about that wardrobe though, strange place for it to be, I reckon I'd definitely bash my swede in on that, I'd have to let the good lady have that side, with crash helmet of course!

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I have a Chausson 624 with the exact spec. However, I think Chausson only made this model in 2017 when I bought mine.

Jul 16, 2021
Andover, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T- 590
Exp
Since 2013
Take a look at the Roller Team T Line 590. We needed separate beds for exactly the same reasons as you, and in a compact package. The drop down electric bed is sturdy, and the dinette one is really easy to make up as long as you don't use the additional small single cushion supplied. This latter only gives you a full size double, instead of a large single. We traded up from a VW California and the versatility and size of the 590 ticked all our boxes. The only additional item we needed was some memory foam which we roll up and store on top of the drop down with the ladder during the day. It's a perfect solution for us.

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Continuing my search for the the our first motorhome.

Think we like the idea of a fixed bed at the rear with a drop down bed over the dinette area, manual or electric. This would give the wife and I a bed each without disturbing each other during the night and I generally go to bed later so would use the drop down one when I've finished chilling.

I'm struggling to find motorhomes in our price range with this set up (up to £42,000 roughly), are the over dinette beds generally only found on fairly new vans, can anyone make any recommendations please.
Several come to mind. We had an Esterell 2006 which had drop down bed in cab and what is known as a French bed - corner bed to us - with shower loo in other corner. Used as above

we have a Dethleffs Trend now with 2 rear singles but should have had a drop down bed over dinette - we chose not to have that bed as not needed by us. This is a 2017.

Several manufacturers like Chausson also do this idea with either single or queen bed in rear

I think for your money it may be hard to find as I don’t recall them much before 2016 in low profile models which are cheaper than A class

find another £10k

Hope that helps

carol

Gary Coedfryn

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Borth, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
Newbie to owning one
We have a Sunlight T68 that we bought as an ex-rental from Goodmans in 2018. Absolutely love it. The vehicle was made good as new before we collected. It has 2 fixed beds in the rear and a drop down bed as you describe. There’s also a T69 with island bed and drop down bed. We paid a couple of grand more than your budget. https://www.goodmansmotorhomes.com/motorhome/sunlight-t68/

Mar 9, 2020
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Think we like the idea of a fixed bed at the rear with a drop down bed over the dinette area, manual or electric. This would give the wife and I a bed each without disturbing each other during the night and I generally go to bed later so would use the drop down one when I've finished chilling.

I'm struggling to find motorhomes in our price range with this set up (up to £42,000 roughly), are the over dinette beds generally only found on fairly new vans, can anyone make any recommendations please.
I recently saw a roller team van with the exact layout you're talking about, but it was just over your budget at 44500. Can't remember the exact model but it was the layout that we liked but was too far away. Our present layout is rear bunks and overcab double.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Laika Kreos 4009 which has twin singles at the back and an electric drop-down over the seating area. It works well for us as we or the child can use the rear singles during the day and only drop the front bed at night.

The drop-down does not interfere with headroom in the up position due to the height of the Laika's and use of the cabs seats is not impaired when the bed is down.

Jun 21, 2021
Hayling Island, UK
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
We had a 2016 roller team t-line 740 with this arrangement for exactly the same reason. Island bed at the back for me, drop down over the dinette for the other half. Worked perfectly, both areas could be closed off to access the bathroom. I think one of the roller team zefiro range has the same layout.

Woodsy

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
Brightlingsea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011

Hi, be careful, we had a Rapido 691Ff with a drop down bed over the dinette area, when the bed was down you could not use the kitchen or habitation door!

Apr 12, 2014
Funster No
MH
Class B
Exp
since 2012
We have an Etrusco T7400 QB that has the layout you are looking for we love ours. We have had since new with no issues.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
HKF said:

rockhopper353 said:

I'll check the model out, looked at a few over the cab vans and some are more spacious than others, although don't know how I'd get on up and down a ladder through the night!

Our over cab is quite spacious. Here's a pic for you :) We put it away when we're moving but there's plety of room to leave it open, too, if you prefer. Would you like a pic of it opened up? It's no trouble :)

Attachments

• IMG_3845 001.jpg
    IMG_3845 001.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I have a Chausson 624 with the exact spec. However, I think Chausson only made this model in 2017 when I bought mine.
This looks a lovely van, exactly the set up we are looking for. I'm starting to think we need to find more cash to get what we really want.
Has it got a garage under the rear bed?
Take a look at the Roller Team T Line 590. We needed separate beds for exactly the same reasons as you, and in a compact package. The drop down electric bed is sturdy, and the dinette one is really easy to make up as long as you don't use the additional small single cushion supplied. This latter only gives you a full size double, instead of a large single. We traded up from a VW California and the versatility and size of the 590 ticked all our boxes. The only additional item we needed was some memory foam which we roll up and store on top of the drop down with the ladder during the day. It's a perfect solution for us.
Looked at the roller team vans, but we would definitely want one with the fixed bed at the rear as well.
Several come to mind. We had an Esterell 2006 which had drop down bed in cab and what is known as a French bed - corner bed to us - with shower loo in other corner. Used as above

we have a Dethleffs Trend now with 2 rear singles but should have had a drop down bed over dinette - we chose not to have that bed as not needed by us. This is a 2017.

Several manufacturers like Chausson also do this idea with either single or queen bed in rear

I think for your money it may be hard to find as I don’t recall them much before 2016 in low profile models which are cheaper than A class

find another £10k

Hope that helps

carol
Thanks Carol, I am thinking I may need to find some extra cash. A lot of the motorhomes we like do seem to be priced in the mid £50k range.
We have a Sunlight T68 that we bought as an ex-rental from Goodmans in 2018. Absolutely love it. The vehicle was made good as new before we collected. It has 2 fixed beds in the rear and a drop down bed as you describe. There’s also a T69 with island bed and drop down bed. We paid a couple of grand more than your budget. https://www.goodmansmotorhomes.com/motorhome/sunlight-t68/
Another one with the layout we want, don't know much about those. Has it been a reliable van, much In the way of niggly issues?
I recently saw a roller team van with the exact layout you're talking about, but it was just over your budget at 44500. Can't remember the exact model but it was the layout that we liked but was too far away. Our present layout is rear bunks and overcab double.
Seena few roller teams we like but look to be over our present budget, as are most with the layout we want 😂
We have a Laika Kreos 4009 which has twin singles at the back and an electric drop-down over the seating area. It works well for us as we or the child can use the rear singles during the day and only drop the front bed at night.

The drop-down does not interfere with headroom in the up position due to the height of the Laika's and use of the cabs seats is not impaired when the bed is down.
Just watched a YouTube review, what a great looking motorhome. Layout and the furnishings are spot on and a nice sized garage area.
Looks to be a fair bit beyond our budget though.
We had a 2016 roller team t-line 740 with this arrangement for exactly the same reason. Island bed at the back for me, drop down over the dinette for the other half. Worked perfectly, both areas could be closed off to access the bathroom. I think one of the roller team zefiro range has the same layout.
Cheapest I've seen one was 55k, which is beyond our budget really, shame as another perfect layout.

I did see a 785 on ebay for 45k which is more of a possibility price wise.
Hi, be careful, we had a Rapido 691Ff with a drop down bed over the dinette area, when the bed was down you could not use the kitchen or habitation door!
Thanks, I know some have this issue.
We have an Etrusco T7400 QB that has the layout you are looking for we love ours. We have had since new with no issues.
Looked at a couple of video reviews but they haven't had the front drop down bed, has it changed in different years?
HKF said:

rockhopper353 said:

Our over cab is quite spacious. Here's a pic for you :) We put it away when we're moving but there's plety of room to leave it open, too, if you prefer. Would you like a pic of it opened up? It's no trouble :)
If you could that would much appreciated, thank you

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I would just like to say thank you so much to everyone who has posted giving us lots of options for us to look at and see if they are a good fit for us, we really appreciate it.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
HKF said:
rockhopper353 said:

If you could that would much appreciated, thank you.

OK, here you go. If you'd like any more info, just let me know :)

Attachments

• IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4099 001.jpg
    IMG_4099 001.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4101 001.jpg
    IMG_4101 001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4102 001.jpg
    IMG_4102 001.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4103 001.jpg
    IMG_4103 001.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4104 001.jpg
    IMG_4104 001.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4105 001.jpg
    IMG_4105 001.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 6

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
To add to the above, the over cab bed is 160 x 200cm and the rear fixed bed is 140 x 200cm. The dinette bed is 120 x 200cm. Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
To add to the above, the over cab bed is 160 x 200cm and the rear fixed bed is 140 x 200cm. The dinette bed is 120 x 200cm. Hope this helps :)
Brilliant, thank you for taking the time to show me the photos and providing me with the dimensions 👍

Reactions: HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Brilliant, thank you for taking the time to show me the photos and providing me with the dimensions 👍
No problem at all. The head space is really good. If you'd like the height measurements, let me know :)

Apr 12, 2014
Funster No
MH
Class B
Exp
since 2012
Hi Rockhopper

To answer your question the Etrusco T7400 QB has a rear island Queen Bed and a drop down Double over the dinette very easy to use. Also with a large garage check it out on U-Tube.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back