Motorhomes with over dinette beds? (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Continuing my search for the the our first motorhome.

Think we like the idea of a fixed bed at the rear with a drop down bed over the dinette area, manual or electric. This would give the wife and I a bed each without disturbing each other during the night and I generally go to bed later so would use the drop down one when I've finished chilling.

I'm struggling to find motorhomes in our price range with this set up (up to £42,000 roughly), are the over dinette beds generally only found on fairly new vans, can anyone make any recommendations please.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

Think we like the idea of a fixed bed at the rear with a drop down bed over the dinette area, manual or electric. This would give the wife and I a bed each without disturbing each other during the night and I generally go to bed later so would use the drop down one when I've finished chilling.

I'm struggling to find motorhomes in our price range with this set up (up to £42,000 roughly), are the over dinette beds generally only found on fairly new vans, can anyone make any recommendations please.
We have 5.99m Burstner Ixeo that has ONLY a drop down bed [transverse] so at 3am it's '1 out, all out'. But this is the compromise for having a lot of day living space in a small Van. Have seen photos of the 6.9m version and lusted after the space and better usability onsite, but wee Brunhilde enables us to get into spaces that the larger Van could not, so, if we were to change the Van, we would only be changing the compromise ... Just over a week ago we pitched up at a Nature Reserve and managed to get into a parking space that normally accommodates cars and small people carriers.

Steve & Elaine

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a 6.75m Burstner t625 Harmony (03 plate) that has a fixed French bed and a dinette which could be converted into a second bed.
Because I tend to go to bed earlier and get up earlier I fitted a curtain rail which separates the bed/washroom from the kitchen/dinette.
We have only ever used the fixed bed in 9½ years of ownership and find that not only do we disturb each other very little but use of the kitchen/dinette is not compromised for the one who is not in bed at the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal

Try Rapido Dreamer Vans. They are PVC's but unusually have manual and electric drop down beds up front and either a permanent rear double bed as well or a rear lounge option which makes up to a double or leave it permanently made up if you prefer. Both options in a PVC are ground breaking. We have on order the Dreamer Living Van but there should be some second hand ones coming online soon I reckon.
Anyway take a look as an option. I havent seen any other convertor of PVC's with front dropsdowns and rear double.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

we have an adria 670slt - single beds at the back and electric drop down bed, rear bathroom across the whole of the back

we have had french beds on our previous vans and were looking for an island bed with drop down electric, then we stumbled across this one after the new moho we had left a deposit on couldnt have what we ordered ...

never thought we would go for single beds, but now we have - we absolutely love it we found all the island beds we looked at just didnt give the bedroom space we thought they did - our current layout also allows the single beds at the rear to 'add' to the daytime living space

it doesnt have the single beds where you have two or three steps to get up, its all on one level, but we dont get the big garage because of that.
like everything, there is usually some sort of compromise but we are slowly working our way to getting it how we want it - but the kitchen area/space is never going to be anything other then 'adequate' - but it is adequate !!

we did consider a rollerteam 740 and 743 but the adria 670 slt seems to have a higher quality about it in terms of furnishings, style and comfort

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We have 5.99m Burstner Ixeo that has ONLY a drop down bed [transverse] so at 3am it's '1 out, all out'. But this is the compromise for having a lot of day living space in a small Van. Have seen photos of the 6.9m version and lusted after the space and better usability onsite, but wee Brunhilde enables us to get into spaces that the larger Van could not, so, if we were to change the Van, we would only be changing the compromise ... Just over a week ago we pitched up at a Nature Reserve and managed to get into a parking space that normally accommodates cars and small people carriers.

Steve & Elaine
We have looked at lots op options Steve but for us I think having the option of 2 beds will work better as I'm a bit of an insomniac 🤣

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We have a 6.75m Burstner t625 Harmony (03 plate) that has a fixed French bed and a dinette which could be converted into a second bed.
Because I tend to go to bed earlier and get up earlier I fitted a curtain rail which separates the bed/washroom from the kitchen/dinette.
We have only ever used the fixed bed in 9½ years of ownership and find that not only do we disturb each other very little but use of the kitchen/dinette is not compromised for the one who is not in bed at the time.
Thanks, definitely want the option of 2 fixed beds, I've had a caravan on the past and just wasn't comfortable sleeping on cushions.

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Try Rapido Dreamer Vans. They are PVC's but unusually have manual and electric drop down beds up front and either a permanent rear double bed as well or a rear lounge option which makes up to a double or leave it permanently made up if you prefer. Both options in a PVC are ground breaking. We have on order the Dreamer Living Van but there should be some second hand ones coming online soon I reckon.
Anyway take a look as an option. I havent seen any other convertor of PVC's with front dropsdowns and rear double.
Love the rapidos, ones I have seen appear to be of a higher quality than many other makes I've seen. Fear they will be beyond my price but definitely on my radar.

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
we have an adria 670slt - single beds at the back and electric drop down bed, rear bathroom across the whole of the back

we have had french beds on our previous vans and were looking for an island bed with drop down electric, then we stumbled across this one after the new moho we had left a deposit on couldnt have what we ordered ...

never thought we would go for single beds, but now we have - we absolutely love it we found all the island beds we looked at just didnt give the bedroom space we thought they did - our current layout also allows the single beds at the rear to 'add' to the daytime living space

it doesnt have the single beds where you have two or three steps to get up, its all on one level, but we dont get the big garage because of that.
like everything, there is usually some sort of compromise but we are slowly working our way to getting it how we want it - but the kitchen area/space is never going to be anything other then 'adequate' - but it is adequate !!

we did consider a rollerteam 740 and 743 but the adria 670 slt seems to have a higher quality about it in terms of furnishings, style and comfort
This is exactly what I'm after, if these are only on the latest models I guess they'll be to expensive but I'll check the ones out you have mentioned.

Do you find the over the dinette bed easy enough getting in and out of?

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We've got a 2003 Euromobil A Class. King size bed over a garage at the rear and a manual drop down bed at the front so it's not only new vans that have this layout.
Presuming this is a drop down bed over the cab, I'm looking for the over dinette as from what I've seen come down lower, making access easier and also have more space above when lowered.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
ours is a 2012 reg. The bed over dining area can be set at two levels,the highest has nets to stop rolling out of bed😂(our grandchildren like this level as they have a ladder to climb up) At this level you can get to the lower area which I believe can be set up as additional beds, the table electrically retracts to same level as the seating, we’ve never set this one up. By bringing bed to lower level it’s the same height as normal bed
The model is a Suite Relax
Hope this helps

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
This is exactly what I'm after, if these are only on the latest models I guess they'll be to expensive but I'll check the ones out you have mentioned.

Do you find the over the dinette bed easy enough getting in and out of?
ours is a 2018 - but im sure there are similar models older than ours. of course the difficulty is on tracking down the one you finally decide on, we were just lucky as everytime we had seen single beds in the back, we hadnt actually bothered to go in - but this one caught us on the hop, and we are so pleased it did !!
the table electrically retracts to same level as the seating,
ours is manual, i do like the idea of yours though ....

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
We purchased a 2012 "Ixeo plus IT 724", a few years ago, matches all your criteria when we bought it, not sure on price now though.

Our sleeping requirements were exactly the same as yours and it does the job perfectly.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

Cheers
Red

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Benimar Mileo 282 has 2 Electric Double Beds, one over the Front Dining Area, and one in the Rear over the Lounge... Loads of Room in a 7.4Mt Van...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had twin singles in our PVC but now have an A-class with a double drop down be over the cab seats which hubby & 2 dogs share (when they let him in that is!) and a double transverse at the rear with a large garage underneath which I share with 1 dog who fortunately allows me to share with her but likes to get between the 2 duvets usually where I want to lay. This works really well for us and it's nice to have plenty of sprawling space, so perhaps looking for a good used A-class will give you what you want.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Over dinette beds are relatively new, not sure but say post 2012. A Class motorhomes were designed to house an overcab bed and have been out for donkeys years. This would give you more flexibility price wise and as Lenny HB says leaves the dinette intact when one pops off to bed and the other is still answering all his replies on motorhomefun.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have a 2018 Rimor Europeo 87 plus (now being marketed as the Superbrig 87 plus). It has an electric rear bed that comes down so that you don't need ladders, crampons & an ice axe to go to bed, but allows you to make use of the cavernous garage's full height. This is an extra, not standard.

Then there is the electric middle bed that does need a ladder. It sits above the seating area. There is a height bulge on the bus and there is space for our 6'3" son to move underneath without bumping his head

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
ours is a 2012 reg. The bed over dining area can be set at two levels,the highest has nets to stop rolling out of bed😂(our grandchildren like this level as they have a ladder to climb up) At this level you can get to the lower area which I believe can be set up as additional beds, the table electrically retracts to same level as the seating, we’ve never set this one up. By bringing bed to lower level it’s the same height as normal bed
The model is a Suite Relax
Hope this helps
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've read up a little on the model, do you find the wardrobe against the island bed is in any way intrusive as suggested in the review I read?

Any issues with the electric operation of the drop down bed, I know people have had issues on certain models with microswitches etc causing issues.

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
ours is a 2018 - but im sure there are similar models older than ours. of course the difficulty is on tracking down the one you finally decide on, we were just lucky as everytime we had seen single beds in the back, we hadnt actually bothered to go in - but this one caught us on the hop, and we are so pleased it did !!

Sounds like a lovely van. I've had a look if I can find reviews but the 2018 models I've seen have the single beds at the back but no drop down bed. If possible could you provide a link as I'd does sound just like what we are looking for, possibly out of our price range however.

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Have you considered vans with twin singles at the rear one advantage is you get a large garage.
A drop down bed in the cab is far more useful as the dinette can still be used with the bed down only the two front seats lost.
Yes I have looked at these and definitely a preference in terms of layout. My thinking though is that this layout adds length I'm guessing to the motorhome over say, a transverse bed at the back.

The over dinette bed from what I'm seeing comes down lower than over cab, which would make access easier. The fact I'd be the one sleeping in it doesn't really affect the dinette area for seating as I'm always last to bed and generally first up.

Reactions: 68c
OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We had twin singles in our PVC but now have an A-class with a double drop down be over the cab seats which hubby & 2 dogs share (when they let him in that is!) and a double transverse at the rear with a large garage underneath which I share with 1 dog who fortunately allows me to share with her but likes to get between the 2 duvets usually where I want to lay. This works really well for us and it's nice to have plenty of sprawling space, so perhaps looking for a good used A-class will give you what you want.
I've certainly not ruled the older A class, it's all very new to me at the moment. I'm doing as much research as possible though and this forum is a wonderful resource.

OP
OP
R
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We have a 2018 Rimor Europeo 87 plus (now being marketed as the Superbrig 87 plus). It has an electric rear bed that comes down so that you don't need ladders, crampons & an ice axe to go to bed, but allows you to make use of the cavernous garage's full height. This is an extra, not standard.

Then there is the electric middle bed that does need a ladder. It sits above the seating area. There is a height bulge on the bus and there is space for our 6'3" son to move underneath without bumping his head
This would be a another good option but beyond my price range unfortunately.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've read up a little on the model, do you find the wardrobe against the island bed is in any way intrusive as suggested in the review I read?

Any issues with the electric operation of the drop down bed, I know people have had issues on certain models with microswitches etc causing issues.
The electric up/down switch on our moho has a key to prevent accidental movement. The key was tiny and snapped off inside the mechanism. I replaced the lock with one that takes a cylindrical key which obviously can't snap. We kept it on a lock as our boys love pushing buttons!

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Sounds like a lovely van. I've had a look if I can find reviews but the 2018 models I've seen have the single beds at the back but no drop down bed. If possible could you provide a link as I'd does sound just like what we are looking for, possibly out of our price range however.
You may be looking at the Adria Coral which does not have a drop down bed, Its the Adria Matrix that has a drop down bed

The drop down bed in ours does not really come down very far and still needs a ladder to get in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back