Motorhomes Overnight Ban at Colwyn Bay (2 Viewers)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Have you given any thought for the many tax and rate paying official empty campsites in your town. Poole is a popular motorhoming area.
There isn't a campsite in Poole centre. The nearest is Rockly park which is not really walkable to Poole centre for a meal / drink in the evening and personally I wouldn't want to stay there even if you could get a touring pitch for 1 night I am going to speak to the chair if poole open spaces and leisure committee this morning to see if they would be prepared to support the idea. The expenditure as far as I can see would be to alter the pricing structure on the ticket machines already in place. The benefits would be designated overnight parking for motorhomes instead of them parking in baiter during the day and moving 1/2 mile at night and parking on the road at whitecliff. I will update you with my progress.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Individual attempts to change things will have little chance of success.

Change has to come from the top........ The Tourist Board? if there is such a thing

Individuals will have to contend with local public opposition, individual camp site owners and of course the Caravan Club and CC&C............

No Vic. It's been shown time after time that if it is left to somebody else then it won't happen. Even if Visit Britain or Visit England were an appropriate body, they would have to be convinced of the general beneficial case in the first place and they would have to then identify appropriate local places so the initiative would still have to come from individuals to get them started.

Any opposition would be the same no matter who made the approach to the council concerned - and it would be the council seeking to create the aire, not a single individual, so individuals would not have to face opposition.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There isn't a campsite in Poole centre. The nearest is Rockly park which is not really walkable to Poole centre for a meal / drink in the evening and personally I wouldn't want to stay there even if you could get a touring pitch for 1 night I am going to speak to the chair if poole open spaces and leisure committee this morning to see if they would be prepared to support the idea. The expenditure as far as I can see would be to alter the pricing structure on the ticket machines already in place. The benefits would be designated overnight parking for motorhomes instead of them parking in baiter during the day and moving 1/2 mile at night and parking on the road at whitecliff. I will update you with my progress.
How many holiday venues are within walking distance of the town center. Others use taxi's or your superb bus service why not motorhome users.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
How many holiday venues are within walking distance of the town center. Others use taxi's or your superb bus service why not motorhome users.
I am sorry I don't understand your question regarding holiday venues.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think you probably do bm......:)
Sorry I dont. I am not in the habit of lieing. If I don't understand a question I feel it's better to ask for clarification before responding.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry I dont. I am not in the habit of lieing. If don't understand a question I feel it's better to ask for clarification before responding.
Motorhomers are holiday makers. Most holiday makers use taxi's or other forms of public transport to get into or around the town.
Your Quote: There isn't a campsite in Poole centre. The nearest is Rockly park which is not really walkable to Poole centre for a meal / drink in the evening.......

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Motorhomers are holiday makers. Most holiday makers use taxi's or other forms of public transport to get into or around the town.
Your Quote: There isn't a campsite in Poole centre. The nearest is Rockly park which is not really walkable to Poole centre for a meal / drink in the evening.......
I wasn't aware that most holiday makers used taxis or public transport - we don't, obviously we buck the norm. Perhaps you should do a poll.
My point is I think there would be value to the local area in having aire style parking for motorhomes in Poole with little cost to the local authority. I feel that there is a good case with the positives outweighing the negatives. I wouldn't benefit from it and wouldn't have the need to use it however other motorhomers including foreign visitors may find it helpful.
In Wareham (where I work) I feel that there would be little or no benefit in having aire style parking as there are at least 6 or 7 campsites/cls plus a brit stop and a pub which allows overnight parking within walking distance of the town centre, there is no easily identifiable site for developing an aire and therefore I would struggle to build a case.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I presume that you are referring to existing car parks, would you be willing to vacate this overnight parking space before the local workers and holidaymakers arrive for the day in the town. Not doing so would cause havoc as town parking is for workers and shoppers.
Same applies to all coastal car parks around the uk, they can soon be taken over by night users who then keep there prim locations for the day too.

Last edited:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
There are over 4000 places to pull in for a rest of more than a couple of hours in the UK. They are called CLs and CSs. If it is just a rest that is required then location close to town centres isn't all that important. There are plenty of 5 van sites close to major roads and (unlike HGV drivers for instance) we all have the freedom to plan our trips so that we don't over tire ourselves.
i cant get on cl;s or cs's due to size.
and i plan my trips so i can park somewhere but a layby will do if im tired

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I presume that you are referring to existing car parks, would you be willing to vacate this overnight parking space before the local workers and holidaymakers arrive for the day in the town. Not doing so would cause havoc as town parking is for workers and shoppers.
Same applies to all coastal car parks around the uk, they can soon be taken over by night users who then keep there prim locations for the day too.
That is why locations have to be carefully selected. If a car park is already busy because of use by shoppers/commuters it is obviously a non-starter (and one of the reasons why the "compel" idea is nonsensical). However, in some places there are existing car parks which, for whatever reason, are not well used during the day so would not be adversely affected by overnight camping.

As regards "Most holiday makers use taxi's or other forms of public transport to get into or around the town.", perhaps a glance at the locations of hotels in many tourist towns is in order because the majority tend to be within walking distance of amenities.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i cant get on cl;s or cs's due to size.
and i plan my trips so i can park somewhere but a layby will do if im tired
Having made a choice to buy such a large van that is obviously the correct approach.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That is why locations have to be carefully selected. If a car park is already busy because of use by shoppers/commuters it is obviously a non-starter (and one of the reasons why the "compel" idea is nonsensical). However, in some places there are existing car parks which, for whatever reason, are not well used during the day so would not be adversely affected by overnight camping.

As regards "Most holiday makers use taxi's or other forms of public transport to get into or around the town.", perhaps a glance at the locations of hotels in many tourist towns is in order because the majority tend to be within walking distance of amenities.
Using Poole as an example Graham the hotels are well spread over a number of areas away from the town, Sandbanks for one is a bus ride from the town centre.

Again I think I know the existing car park quoted earlier. It is a town centre car park for the many residents and visitors who visit the town centre. Being dominated by travelers would cause an outcry from shop keepers and shoppers alike. There are some very nice camp sites already in the area though.;)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You presume right regarding existing parking. The site I am referring to already has dedicated motorhome parking spaces. So motorhomers would have no need to vacate they only need to buy another parking ticket to extend their visit. Not many workers in the area use motorhomes to travel to work and there are plenty of car parking spaces for workers and shoppers. Though to be honest not many shoppers park there during the day!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Using Poole as an example Graham the hotels are well spread over a number of areas away from the town, Sandbanks for one is a bus ride from the town centre.

Again I think I know the existing car park quoted earlier. It is a town centre car park for the many residents and visitors who visit the town centre. Being dominated by travelers would cause an outcry from shop keepers and shoppers alike. There are some very nice camp sites already in the area though.;)
It's many years since I've been to Poole but a quick look at Booking.com shows plenty of hotels in the town. The statement "most holiday makers", though, is general not specific to Poole, as was my comment.

Regarding Poole car park locations, have a look at their car park map. There are plenty of car parks much closer to the town shops and businesses than Baiter Park.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

I wouldn't expect those using the three hotels in Sandbanks to use public transport to travel in to Poole.

I think if you do know the car park you would know that there is plenty of space for everyone. Motorhomers, residents, workers, visitors and travellers.
Why do you think that shop keepers and shoppers would create an outcry? As a resident I would see it as a benefit to the local area.
Please can you specify which very nice campsites are in the local area?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I wouldn't expect those using the three hotels in Sandbanks to use public transport to travel in to Poole.

I think if you do know the car park you would know that there is plenty of space for everyone. Motorhomers, residents, workers, visitors and travellers.
Why do you think that shop keepers and shoppers would create an outcry? As a resident I would see it as a benefit to the local area.
Please can you specify which very nice campsite are in the local area?
I always spend time in Poole and the surrounding area when staying at Sandy Balls and using your chosen car park as a day visitor. I have stayed in most camp sites in the area over the years except Rockey Park and never been disappointed. What is it you dislike about camp sites that parking in a car park bay can provide?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I don't dislike staying in camp-sites.
What I want to offer visitors to Poole who have motorhomes is the opportunity of overnighting in central Poole and to wake up to the same view as I do every morning.
poole harbour.jpg

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always spend time in Poole and the surrounding area when staying at Sandy Balls and using your chosen car park as a day visitor. I have stayed in most camp sites in the area over the years except Rockey Park and never been disappointed. What is it you dislike about camp sites that parking in a car park bay can provide?
The point of a UK aire is that it obviates the requirement for people to use their vehicle during the day and provides proximity to local businesses (restaurants, theatres &c) in the evenings.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i live just a few miles away in christchurch and have to agree Baiter park would be ideal as an aire. the council are missing a potential revenue stream and the facilities are pretty much all there. 10 minutes walk to sainsburys and other town centre venues. 15 minutes from the lighthouse theatre. it really is ideal, no bells & whistles, just a simple place to park up with excellent views

we often park up at baiter for an afternoon, watching the boats go by and can see its attraction to visitors.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Don't know if its still available, but there used to be a carpark in Swanage that allowed motorhomes to park in the coach spaces overnight. They had to be moved by 8am (I think) and purchase a further ticket if they wished to stay on the carpark during the day.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don't know if its still available, but there used to be a carpark in Swanage that allowed motorhomes to park in the coach spaces overnight. They had to be moved by 8am (I think) and purchase a further ticket if they wished to stay on the carpark during the day.
None of the six car parks operated by Swanage Town Council allow overnight camping. Usual story, too much abuse in the past. There is a note "No camping - No sleeping" against each of them in the descriptions on This Page.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
That's a pity, we thought what a good idea it was when we visited a few years back.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's a pity, we thought what a good idea it was when we visited a few years back.
Swanage Town Council also thought so. As so often, though, abuse by a few meant it turned out to be the opposite :( There is an explanation on Broken Link Removed from the UK Motorhomes web site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back