Motorhomes over 3.5T new rules in France (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2020
Basse Normandie France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
I'm a newbie
As of 1st jan 2021 Motorhomes must display blind spot notices

see here (French website) https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14499

Translation from google

Heavy goods vehicles: installation of a blind spot signaling device

Posted on December 03, 2020 -

Directorate of legal and administrative information (Prime Minister) Illustration 1 Credits: © Road Safety Illustration 1

Bikes, two-wheelers, motorcycles, scooters, scooters, hoverboards, gyropods, monowheels ... are always less visible than a car. With their smaller size, they are often placed in the blind spots of heavy goods vehicles (trucks, buses, coaches, etc.). In order to strengthen the protection of vulnerable users traveling on public roads, a blind spot signaling device must be installed on heavy vehicles from January 1, 2021. Provided for by the mobility orientation law of December 2019, it has just been implemented. 'be decided by a decree published in the Official Journal on November 19, 2020. Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes (goods transport vehicles and passenger transport vehicles) must be fitted with signage showing the position of blind spots as of January 1, 2021.

This signage must be affixed on the sides and at the rear of the vehicle in order to be visible to cyclists, pedestrians and users of personal vehicles traveling on public roads. They are not always aware of the impossibility for the driver of the truck to perceive their presence, which causes sometimes fatal accidents, for example when the driver plans to turn while a cyclist is present on the side of the vehicle. This obligation applies to heavy vehicles traveling in an urban environment. It does not concern agricultural and forestry vehicles, winter service vehicles and intervention vehicles of the services managing highways or dual carriageways which are not intended to operate in dense urban environments. Failure to comply with this obligation is penalized by a fourth class fine. The model of the signage and its methods of affixing will be fixed by a forthcoming decree of the Minister responsible for Transport and the Minister responsible for Road Safety.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Just why do they build these vehicles with so much body behind the rear wheels ?
I always stay well clear of vehicles that have a load of trailor / body behind the rear wheels, seen it happen too many times at sharp junctions and narrow roads etc

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just why do they build these vehicles with so much body behind the rear wheels ?
I always stay well clear of vehicles that have a load of trailor / body behind the rear wheels, seen it happen too many times at sharp junctions and narrow roads etc
Commercial Vehicles are built to comply with very specific constructions and use regulations, all these things are apparently covered in a proper CPC ( not the EU driver BS one).

IMO as a regular but not full time driver - I think elements of the design could be improved by making windscreens and windows generally larger and lower, but no matter how much you do this or how many mirrors or cameras you put on them most people can only look at one at a time and you would never be able to compensate enough for some road users utter stupidity - what some people consider OK around an LGV has to be seen to be believed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
More and more sensors are being integrated into the front windscreen these days to take into account Insurance claims.
Rain sensors, puts wipers on auto, Light sensors, puts lights on auto, Lane Departure Warning, warns you when deviating from "white lines", also coming faster than we all may think are driverless vehicles, so all this speculation may not be needed in a few years, not sure i want "algorhythm" driving my van no matter how good he thinks he is.
If "PC's in general are anything to go by, select neutral and put handbrake on and switch off and the dam thing starts off in reverse with all lights blazing.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
More and more sensors are being integrated into the front windscreen these days to take into account Insurance claims.
Rain sensors, puts wipers on auto, Light sensors, puts lights on auto, Lane Departure Warning, warns you when deviating from "white lines", also coming faster than we all may think are driverless vehicles, so all this speculation may not be needed in a few years, not sure i want "algorhythm" driving my van no matter how good he thinks he is.
If "PC's in general are anything to go by, select neutral and put handbrake on and switch off and the dam thing starts off in reverse with all lights blazing.
I think you will find that none of these sensors (driver aids?) absolve the driver of ultimate responsibility.

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I think you will find that none of these sensors (driver aids?) absolve the driver of ultimate responsibility.
I agree, this technology is being led by the insurance industry to "Minimise" claims, especially with regard to the auto brakes sensor appearing on vehicles now.
They are "warnings" to alert the driver, just like parking sensors do but the brakes do come on.

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Last time I was in London in a lorry I had to wait for a cyclist to extricate himself from between the unit and the trailer before I could set off from some lights, he was apparently trying to squeeze down the side while the traffic was stopped.
I used to drive artics in the 70's before we had blind spot mirrors or protective side guards on the side of trailers. I had a mini under my trailer once, i only spotted his back wing sticking out when I looked in the mirror before pulling away,and a woman shouting at me that the lights have gone red again when I pointed to her front wing in front of my trailer wheels,I asked her very politely if she was sure that she wanted me to pull away from the lights!!! and don't get me going about bikes and mopeds and pedestrians, they were impossible to see. We had to remember what the last vehicle was the last time we looked and if he was not there,, where has he gone. Nothing has changed in all these years. they all need training about large vehicles, yes even pedestrians, they all use the roads.!!?? Bruce

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Commercial Vehicles are built to comply with very specific constructions and use regulations, all these things are apparently covered in a proper CPC ( not the EU driver BS one).

IMO as a regular but not full time driver - I think elements of the design could be improved by making windscreens and windows generally larger and lower, but no matter how much you do this or how many mirrors or cameras you put on them most people can only look at one at a time and you would never be able to compensate enough for some road users utter stupidity - what some people consider OK around an LGV has to be seen to be believed!
And it's not the bit behind the wheels that cuts across ,it's the part in front, the bit behind goes the otter way,and thats a problem when turning the other way as any one with a long m/h will know! Watch a bus turn at some lights, overhang front and rear. Bruce

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
New rule will be as popular as this sign.
IMG_1207.JPG

Upvote 0
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
The way some cyclists behave even if your van was one big warning sign they would not see it as they are seemingly blind when it comes to obeying no cycling rules

Upvote 0

Marcel J. Ch.

Free Member
Jan 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido
A motorhome is not a 'goods transport vehicle'. A motorhome is not a 'passenger transport vehicle'. The item refers to 'heavy goods vehicles (trucks, buses, coaches etc.)' I take it that means what we would call HGV and PSV, perhaps including LGV.
I appreciate your remark.
I am responsible for the IFCM/FICM International Federation of Motorhome Clubs, to report at EU level on the 3.5T GVWR issue of B licences. Blind Spots Stickers are the latest of the arguments we are using to evaluate the 2006/126/EC relevance. Public Consultation is closing today 20/01/2021. Penalties come in addition to existing penalties for overload drive, which make it unsustainable. More in on https://www.ficm-aisbl.eu
Good luck for UK!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back