kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
We drove back from the port last night with clear roads, just a few lorries and other MHs. Speeds were in the 50s and we had an easy journey :Smile: One thing that did niggle though was a MH that overtook us in the third lane at a speed of 60 plus (more like 70 lol). As I was overtaking a large lorrry at the time the turbulance was a bit off putting :Sad:. I don't have a problem with him choosing to travel at that speed (I don't know the circumstances - he may have left the kettle on at home) but personally I don't think a MH should be in that lane.
Question: do you overtake in the third lane?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Unless the motorhome is towing then he has every right to be in the third lane at speeds up to 70mph, over taking you:thumb: Yes I use that lane from time to time.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cant see a problem he's allowed to use it for overtaking.

We use it when needed either that or follow some middle lane hogger for miles and miles as they refuse to pull over to the left. :Eeek::Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Old Mercedes owners dont have to worry about such things, getting into the middle lane can sometimes be a struggle :RollEyes:.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Not a problem he's allowed...

Much worse are the toe rags in cars who dawdle on the inside lane until you pull out to overtake and then they accelerate away to avoid being overtaken by a MoHo...:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've always assumed that a motorhome up to 3500kg is the same as a car as far as speeds and motorway usage is concerned. I did get flashed by a lorry once when overtaking in Dartford tunnel when tugging in days gone by. :Doh:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is not meant as criticism of the OP but in an ideal situation you should avoid travelling 3 or even 4 abreast on a motorway. It reduces your options if one of the other vehicles has say a blow out and you need to swerve out of the way quickly. Of course it is hard if not impossible to avoid doing this when all the lanes are full but the average speeds may well be lower in such circumstances. When traffic is light and you are in the middle lane overtaking a truck and another vehicle is in the third lane about to overtake you then ideally either accelerate or back off to avoid the three abreast situation where you are all in a straight line across the motorway. The danger is worst when the relative speeds of all three vehicles are similar. If the vehicle in the third lane is a car flashing past I wouldn't bother.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Old Mercedes owners dont have to worry about such things, getting into the middle lane can sometimes be a struggle :RollEyes:.

And that's on country lanes! ::bigsmile:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Third lane, oh yes, as when these slow buggers in the middle lane make me put the foot down. :ROFLMAO:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
if i need to then i use it,,,i dont want to be sat behind a middle lane hogger driving at 60 when i can go past him ,,,then i go right across his front in to the nearside lane,,,,most of the time the lane hogger stays where he is,,,they are the ones who should get tickets,,,,,,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Yep! I have used the 3rd lane to overtake in order to maintain progress and without impeding road users behind me :thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
One thing that did niggle though was a MH that overtook us in the third lane at a speed of 60 plus (more like 70 lol).

I very occasionally make it into the third lane - usually at 56 mph to overtake a lorry at 55mph overtaking a lorry at 54mph. :winky: However I know I am perfectly entitled to be there even tho' my van is well over 3500kg. On the even rarer occasions when I've reached over 60mph in the third lane (to get past some ninny who has been doing my head in for a while) it feels like a cause for celebration - almost as tho' a bottle of champagne should be cracked open. ::bigsmile:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I use the third lane a lot when I am speeding down to Benidorm and can't wait to get there:Smile::winky:

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
As an aside, when I can see I'm about to be overtaken by something large, I drift to the right hand side of my lane. Usually, the overtaking vehicle will drift right as well. I can then drift left, thus creating a larger gap between us, and significantly reducing the buffeting. I'm talking about a slight drifting incidentally - not a swerve!

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The UK speed limit for a motorhome is not related to its maximum permitted weight - it is related to its unladen weight. Below 3050Kg unladen it's as per cars, above that it is less. See https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

But on a UK motorway the speed limit for a motorhome is still 70mph - whether it's under or over the magic 3050kg unladen. It's on dual and single carriageways that the difference in weight comes into play. :Smile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As an aside, when I can see I'm about to be overtaken by something large, I drift to the right hand side of my lane. Usually, the overtaking vehicle will drift right as well. I can then drift left, thus creating a larger gap between us, and significantly reducing the buffeting. I'm talking about a slight drifting incidentally - not a swerve!

Blimey, that's a pretty major 'edit' of a post to the one I just replied to! From weight/speed limits to drifting about. That's not an edit - that's a complete rewrite! ::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We drove back from the port last night with clear roads, just a few lorries and other MHs. Speeds were in the 50s and we had an easy journey :Smile: One thing that did niggle though was a MH that overtook us in the third lane at a speed of 60 plus (more like 70 lol). As I was overtaking a large lorrry at the time the turbulance was a bit off putting :Sad:. I don't have a problem with him choosing to travel at that speed (I don't know the circumstances - he may have left the kettle on at home) but personally I don't think a MH should be in that lane.
Question: do you overtake in the third lane?

Yeah, it could well have been me:Blush: I was up the m1 yesterday and having been away for a couple of weeks was just ready to get home BUT must admit I never feel happy in that lane as having been a van driver for twenty years I have had a few that have just Suddenly give up and died for no good reason and always wonder what the hell you do if it stops while you are in the third lane with motors all around you.:Eeek::Eeek:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Third lane as and when required.

But TBH I'm not sure what the speed limit is in my MH :Blush:. Can anyone advise?

MTPLM: 4250kg

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What about when you are in the second lane doing 65 overtaking a lorry etc and a 4x4 pulling a caravan overtakes you like you are standing still :Eeek:

i have heard many big 4x4 owners saying " i can tow at 70 / 80 with my 26ft van no problem " :Sad:

we travel around 57 mph and rarely get MH passing us but loads of caravanners :Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I use it nearly every time I go on the motorway in the van.

I also use the left hand lane to undertake middle lane hoggers.

Against the law I know, but the hoggers probably don't know it:Doh:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I use it nearly every time I go on the motorway in the van.

I also use the left hand lane to undertake middle lane hoggers.

Against the law I know, but the hoggers probably don't know it:Doh:

Of course they don't it's their divine right granted to them personally and hand delivered in a golden envelope by God. So why should they give a s""" about anyone else and be inconvenienced by having to pull over to the left.
Personally I'd like a missile launcher on the front and then I could blow the b"""""s to Kingdom come.

Glad I got that off my chest feel much better now.:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Use third lane when necessary except when towing. Caravans are not allowed in the third lane (unless there's more lanes) but I have seen some there.

Some 4x4 could tow a large caravan at 70,80,90+ mph. My Disco could (except I don't have a caravan) but it's illegal and very dangerous too.
Apparently the most likely caravan to be turned over will be behind a Disco as its so easy to forget it's there.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
But on a UK motorway the speed limit for a motorhome is still 70mph - whether it's under or over the magic 3050kg unladen. It's on dual and single carriageways that the difference in weight comes into play. :Smile:

...which is what my link says, I believe:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back