motorhomes in the third lane (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We drove back from the port last night with clear roads, just a few lorries and other MHs. Speeds were in the 50s and we had an easy journey :Smile: One thing that did niggle though was a MH that overtook us in the third lane at a speed of 60 plus (more like 70 lol). As I was overtaking a large lorrry at the time the turbulance was a bit off putting :Sad:. I don't have a problem with him choosing to travel at that speed (I don't know the circumstances - he may have left the kettle on at home) but personally I don't think a MH should be in that lane.
Question: [HI]do you overtake in the third lane?[/HI]

Yes, regularly

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't know why this thread is on here if u don't know the rules of the road shouldn't be on it. It's simple on a motorway there are 3 -4 lanes only one lane matters which is the driving lane. The other lanes are for overtaking unless told otherwise. It worries me ppl ask these questions and they drive. :Doh:
they walk among us :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
My old van will only rarely get me in the middle, let alone the outside lane.::bigsmile:

I dont mind, now I am retired, not in that much of a hurry too get anywhere.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> I'm not a professional driver but an unemployed village idiot. :winky:

quite possibly the first indisputable statement on this thread:ROFLMAO:

Village, nah, it's a little run down hamlet.

Deleted User
All goods vehicles over 3500k registered after 2005 are required to be fitted with a speed limiter set to 90 kph and therefore not allowed to use the 3rd/4th lane on a motorway.

I can't see why private hgv's (any motorhome over 3500k) should be exempt from this requirement.

http://www.transportsfriend.org/road/rsl.html

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Can't see what the problem is in my using the third lane, unless road conditions or weather make it a poor choice! Or, the most important.......if the other half tells me not to:ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We drove back from the port last night with clear roads, just a few lorries and other MHs. Speeds were in the 50s and we had an easy journey :Smile: One thing that did niggle though was a MH that overtook us in the third lane at a speed of 60 plus (more like 70 lol). As I was overtaking a large lorrry at the time the turbulance was a bit off putting :Sad:. I don't have a problem with him choosing to travel at that speed (I don't know the circumstances - he may have left the kettle on at home) but personally I don't think a MH should be in that lane.
Question: do you overtake in the third lane?

Me too....many times there are two lorries trying to pass each other in 1 & 2 lane and it may go on for miles or they may be passing many lorries....SO use the third lane ??? why not

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
All goods vehicles over 3500k registered after 2005 are required to be fitted with a speed limiter set to 90 kph and therefore not allowed to use the 3rd/4th lane on a motorway.

I can't see why private hgv's (any motorhome over 3500k) should be exempt from this requirement.

Motorhomes are not goods vehicles.. They are motor caravans... So that rule does not apply. They are taxed as private light goods purely as it's the most appropriate
Class to tax them as

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Don't drive a goods vehicle or a hgv it's a motorhome. :Doh:

You can't miss it, it's the tag axle in lane three passing at 70 mph :ROFLMAO:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Motorhomes are not goods vehicles.. They are motor caravans... So that rule does not apply. They are taxed as private light goods purely as it's the most appropriate
Class to tax them as

Our Hymer is recorded on V5 as a Private HGV and says same on tax disc

Max weight 5 ton

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
My apologies it seams I have got the rules wrong :Doh:
After having checked earlier this evening........

However I do not see how the heck a huge vehicle weighing up to 7.5 ton & carrying less than 8 passengers can be allowed in the overtaking lane yet any goods vehicles over 3.5 ton is automatically banned is beyond me.

I cant even imagine the catastrophic events that would ensue should a large enough vehicle carrying enough passengers cause should they get caught off guard in the event of an accident or sudden emergency braking situation & then take into account that some of these vehicles may only be an up-plated van.......

If you ask me some HGV rules should be applied to vehicles over 3.5 ton like when they limited the coaches tho that still doesn't stop em driving like Wabbits.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
cant see a good reason why a MH should not use the outside lane to overtake, after all, that is what the lane should be used for.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
My apologies it seams I have got the rules wrong :Doh:
After having checked earlier this evening........

However I do not see how the heck a huge vehicle weighing up to 7.5 ton & carrying less than 8 passengers can be allowed in the overtaking lane yet any goods vehicles over 3.5 ton is automatically banned is beyond me.
[HI]
I cant even imagine the catastrophic events that would ensue should a large enough vehicle carrying enough passengers cause should they get caught off guard in the event of an accident or sudden emergency braking situation & then take into account that some of these vehicles may only be an up-plated van.......[/HI]

If you ask me some HGV rules should be applied to vehicles over 3.5 ton like when they limited the coaches tho that still doesn't stop em driving like Wabbits.

That could happen in any Lane... And has.
I can see your point but these are heavy goods vehicle laws.. Not rules... Are you suggesting hgvs should not be allowed in the overtaking Lane... Because if so I'm all for it. (A14 experiment and in Europe it's a godsend).

Deleted User
Class to tax them as

I understand very well that motorhomes are not classed as goods vehicles......."[HI]I can't see why private hgv's (any motorhome over 3500k) should be exempt from this requirement.[/HI]"...........but a 5ton vehicle is a 5ton vehicle regardless of whether it is a goods vehicle or a motor caravan. The same [HI]safety[/HI] rules should apply.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have not read the whole thread so apologise if point already raised, but surely a coach with 52 people on it travelling at 70 ish is no different to a MH doing the same ?

Deleted User
I have not read the whole thread so apologise if point already raised, but surely a coach with 52 people on it travelling at 70 ish is no different to a MH doing the same ?

A coach carrying 52 people will have a speed limiter set at 100kph(62.1mph) and is not allowed to use the 3rd lane.

Why coaches that can weigh up to 26000kilo should be allowed a limit of 100kph when a truck weighing 3500kilo is limited to 90kph is another debatable matter.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
an offence to drive a vehicle in the outside lane of a motorway which is:

towing a trailer; or
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
a goods vehicle between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted; or
a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted.

Nothing about MoHo's...

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Our Hymer is recorded on V5 as a Private HGV and says same on tax disc

Max weight 5 ton

My Ace Adventurer is also rated as Private HGV, I am not complaining, tax is only £165 per year :thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
My Ace Adventurer is also rated as Private HGV, I am not complaining, tax is only £165 per year :thumb:

They are probably rated as PHGV so that they attract only a smaller Tax, due to infrequent use...

Deleted User
an offence to drive a vehicle in the outside lane of a motorway which is:

towing a trailer; or
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
a goods vehicle between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted; or
a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted.

Nothing about MoHo's...

Yes, I know!!!!......................the point is why, a heavy vehicle is a heavy vehicle, the laws of physics don't change because one is a motorhome and one is a goods vehicle.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
[HI]A coach carrying 52 people will have a speed limiter set at 100kph(62.1mph) and is not allowed to use the 3rd lane.[/HI]

Why coaches that can weigh up to 26000kilo should be allowed a limit of 100kph when a truck weighing 3500kilo is limited to 90kph is another debatable matter.

Broken Link Removed

Hmmm..
It would seem a lot of the coaches running from Stansted to Norwich must have said limiter turned off somehow then !!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well I can drive in lane 3 and do and I can do 70 mph and do.

So I,'ve decided to get a nice big smiley face sticker :Smile:and a waving hand sticker :thumb: for the back of the van. Then as I go sailing past on my merry way all those envious buggers stuck in their hgvs at 56 mph can shout abuse call me names and make their gestures cos they'll know who it is.

Do I Look Bovvered :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Yes, I know!!!!......................the point is why, a heavy vehicle is a heavy vehicle, the laws of physics don't change because one is a motorhome and one is a goods vehicle.

For the same reason that you have 3 or 4 different speed limits dependant on vehicle class on the same road.

Basically, IMHO, the powers that be don't do joined up thinking...

I have a theory that most people who do road planning and driving laws, have never driven a vehicle in their life...

Much like MoHo designers, they've never been away in a MoHo in their life...

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I should be so lucky. Boris never even leaves the inside lane and even there, people tailgate us. Thinking of painting, "I'm only little and going as fast as I can," on the back.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having had extensive experience of the M4 and M5 yesterday running aged and much loved Aunt back to Reading I can confirm that the outside lane is generally narrower than the other two lanes, where there are three lanes that is.

I base this observation on long periods spent stationary in different lanes at different times of the day.

Who put a Bank Holiday in the middle of the month? Or more importantly what sort of idiot agrees to run said aged and much loved Aunt back home on a Bank Holiday Friday?

Anyway, just a factor to consider if there is a strong cross wind blowing.

Apparently there was a 32 mile queue at one point on the M4, starting at Bath and extending into Wales. I only caught the beginning of this before sloping off at walking pace onto the M5, which had its owns joys.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back