LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I do must of my driving on that lane on the far left. No one on there only the odd parked vehicle stopped to use the phone box :ROFLMAO:.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We drove back from the port last night with clear roads, just a few lorries and other MHs. Speeds were in the 50s and we had an easy journey :Smile: One thing that did niggle though was a MH that overtook us in the third lane at a speed of 60 plus (more like 70 lol). As I was overtaking a large lorrry at the time the turbulance was a bit off putting :Sad:. I don't have a problem with him choosing to travel at that speed (I don't know the circumstances - he may have left the kettle on at home) but personally I don't think a MH should be in that lane.
Question: do you overtake in the third lane?

watt do you expect him to do use the hard shoulder may be time to have a look at the highway code I think motor way lane discipline(253to273)
:thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Last edited:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Not a problem using 3rd lane i do when required. I may be would have timed my move so as not to be all 3 of us in a line to limit buffeting but not always possible.

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
What a wunch of bankers !!

It's a road, use it in a sensible manner !!! although I must agree with Chris regarding undertaking the flat cap and driving gloves tossers in lane 2 !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't see any reason not to use lane 3 as when driving the car. It does depend on the motorhome our new one is a lot more stable than the old one (lower profile wider rear track) must admit the other day crept up to 80 without realising so tend to use cruise control to avoid overspeeding. The thing that annoys me is drivers that are desperate to get past a motorhome then slow down :Angry: I know they do 'cause I'm on cruise control why do they do it:Doh:

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I stay in the middle lane all the time if I am doing 50 or 90 that way you do not have to keep signalling and wearing out the tyres by changing lanes all the time, if you leave the rear fog lights on all the time other people can see you better:thumb::whistle:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I stay in the middle lane all the time if I am doing 50 or 90 that way you do not have to keep signalling and wearing out the tyres by changing lanes all the time, if you leave the rear fog lights on all the time other people can see you better:thumb::whistle:

Someone out for a spot of :reel::reel: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Thats all well and good leaving the rear fog light on, but wont it waste the bulb :Smile:.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I stay in the middle lane all the time if I am doing 50 or 90 that way you do not have to keep [HI]signalling[/HI] and wearing out the tyres by changing lanes all the time, if you leave the rear fog lights on all the time other people can see you better:thumb::whistle:

What your supposed to signal :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Or as the bus driver said after he reversed into my sister's car "No one pulls right up to the junction at this time of day as everyone knows I always reverse here!"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
more frustrating than the middle lane hogger is Reginald in his 1968 Morris Oxford doing 55 in the outside lane, oblivious to the 4 mile tailback of cars behind him......thats why theres a middle lane, for undertaking. :Doh: :Blush:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I do change lanes if in traffic on the motorway as I keep going in the one that is moving sometimes if you change 50 or 60 times it saves you several seconds on your journey:Wacko:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I do change lanes if in traffic on the motorway as I keep going in the one that is moving sometimes if you change 50 or 60 times it saves you several seconds on your journey:Wacko:

you mean like a truck overtaking another truck and taking 3 minutes to do it !!!!!

An hour down the road he's gained 1600ft over the slower one.
Working on that average, in an 8 hour day he's only 2.4 miles ahead.....why bother ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
more frustrating than the middle lane hogger is Reginald in his 1968 Morris Oxford doing 55 in the outside lane, oblivious to the 4 mile tailback of cars behind him......thats why theres a middle lane, for undertaking. :Doh: :Blush:

Oh, you've been stuck behind my Dad then? Actually seeing you are from Scarborough you probably have been, except his is a Rover 55. No good using the horn, he's deaf, and likely to wave back when you make the friendly finger signs!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Left lane right lane even the middle, there all my lanes::bigsmile:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
When heading north on my 500 mile trip from daughters I just put the foot down and go mainly in the 3rd lane but if a Porsche wants past I'll consider moving over :ROFLMAO: if there are flashing blue lights then I will definitely move out of the way
With regards undertaking middle lane hoggers its my understanding that provided you stay in your lane then its NOT an offense the offence occurs if you undertake then pull into the middle lane imediatly after the manouver ( I wait to be corrected )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
highway code......

Section 2

Rule 163

Paragraph 7

only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so

And contradicted in paragraph 8

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

More importantly.....

Rule 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

:Doh:

Last edited:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I have skipped straight to the end here so apologies is it has already been mentioned

Lane 3 or 4 as is now the case otherwise what used to be known as the outside lane may ONLY be used by vehicles of 3.5 ton or less & that are not towing :Angry:

I say this as a professional driver & it really Foxtrots me off when I see some Posh Twat in his Range Rover towing in that lane & the stuuuupid seasonal caravaner following suit.

Should you fall into this bracket & happen to pass me you will receive abusive language.....

RANT OVER.................... ::bigsmile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I have skipped straight to the end here so apologies is it has already been mentioned
[HI]
Lane 3 or 4 as is now the case otherwise what used to be known as the outside lane may ONLY be used by vehicles of 3.5 ton or less & that are not towing :Angry:[/HI]

I say this as a professional driver & it really Foxtrots me off when I see some Posh Twat in his Range Rover towing in that lane & the stuuuupid seasonal caravaner following suit.

Should you fall into this bracket & happen to pass me you will receive abusive language.....

RANT OVER.................... ::bigsmile:

I believe this is incorrect. My motorhome is over 3.5 ton and I can use the outside Lane on a motorway as long as I'm not towing. (im also a professional driver)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Motorcaravan is the same as a car and can use all lanes..

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/lane-discipline-264-to-266

The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

any vehicle drawing a trailer

a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter

a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes

a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver

a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter.

Laws MT(E&W)R reg 12, MT(E&W)AR (2004), MT(S)R reg 11 & MT(S)AR (2004)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Don't know why this thread is on here if u don't know the rules of the road shouldn't be on it. It's simple on a motorway there are 3 -4 lanes only one lane matters which is the driving lane. The other lanes are for overtaking unless told otherwise. It worries me ppl ask these questions and they drive. :Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't know why this thread is on here if u don't know the rules of the road shouldn't be on it. It's simple on a motorway there are 3 -4 lanes only one lane matters which is the driving lane. The other lanes are for overtaking unless told otherwise. It worries me ppl ask these questions and they drive. :Doh:

That there is discussion and disagreement on this issue between professional drivers then it is good that it is discussed here:thumb: Very often there are grey areas, for example the highway code makes mention of Goods Vehicles, but nowhere have I seen the differential in that document between Goods and Private Light Goods, and they both can be over 10 ton! (not that I have read it for a while:Blush:)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

That there is discussion and disagreement on this issue between professional drivers then it is good that it is discussed here:thumb: Very often there are grey areas, for example the highway code makes mention of Goods Vehicles, but nowhere have I seen the differential in that document between Goods and Private Light Goods, and they both can be over 10 ton! (not that I have read it for a while:Blush:)
its the tax. Chris Eubanks had a peter built for his private car he never had an hgv but he could drive on the motorway and over take in 3 lane as the unit only weighed 6 and a half tonne. But wat I am saying it's worrying that a lot drivers out there so call professional drivers don't know the rules. I have a question to ask. Wen can u turn right on a motorway? Let's see who knows that.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
its the tax. Chris Eubanks had a peter built for his private car he never had an hgv but he could drive on the motorway and over take in 3 lane as the unit only weighed 6 and a half tonne. But wat I am saying it's worrying that a lot drivers out there so call professional drivers don't know the rules. I have a question to ask. [HI]Wen can u turn right on a motorway? Let's see who knows that[/HI].

when there is an exit ramp on the right.

For example.. In Glasgow city center, on the mate .. I think (not sure, been a few years) it goes to Anniesland X ?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I believe this is incorrect. My motorhome is over 3.5 ton and I can use the outside Lane on a motorway as long as I'm not towing. (im also a professional driver)

Your right he is incorrect. :whatthe:

My motor home like yours is over 3.5 ton and I can use the outside lane legally.

I'm not a professional driver but an unemployed village idiot. :winky:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Your right he is incorrect. :whatthe:

My motor home like yours is over 3.5 ton and I can use the outside lane legally.

I'm not a professional driver but an [HI]unemployed village idiot[/HI]. :winky:

quite possibly the first indisputable statement on this thread:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back