Motorhomes Freshen Up? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Any Funster thinking of a colour change from white can easily have a new design followed through to the motorhome. This is my Bentley Donington which a few months ago was delivered in white. After a graphic design and fitting plus an inexpensive paint job and we have something different. If paint frightens you then a freshen up of the graphics need not be expensive and will bring your van back to life. In 2011 I applied new graphics to over 11motorhomes and made them showroom fresh once again.
Everyone lives near a graphics company and prices are very competative, much cheaper than most people think. Go direct and not through a dealer. Many years ago I did a makeover on an Autocruise Vista for a local motorhome dealer for £220 and he in turn charged the customer nearly £470. Since then I have only dealt with the customer direct.
Have a good 2012 touring no mater what.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Hi Wiljoy.
Just noticed your post and where you are from. We bought a Rapido 3yrs ago and for no known reason it was supplied without the 'le randonneur' graphics which seem to adorn everyone else's Rapido's. I have been considering commisioning a graphic designer for some time to produce a Durham Cathedral logo in the style of the 'le randonneur' logo, perhaps with 'Dunelm' written below. I'm not 100% certain whether I would go through with it but feel free to PM me with any thoughts. We are near Chester-le-Street by the way.
Geoff.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Willjoy
A very informative post. I have often wondered why more people don't re-pait, redesighn there vans.

Roughly how much does it cost if say I was one of the 11 that you have done?

who does the design work?

There must be loads of older motorhomes out there that would really be brought back to life with a graphics change and a reupholster.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have almost finished vinyl wrapping my van. The difference it makes is incredible. That in combination with respraying the black plastic makes all the difference.

I am looking at getting an old Hymer 544 next year and I will more than likely vinyl wrap the white bits to freshen it up. Much quicker and cheaper than a respray..

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Wiljoy.
Just noticed your post and where you are from. We bought a Rapido 3yrs ago and for no known reason it was supplied without the 'le randonneur' graphics which seem to adorn everyone else's Rapido's. I have been considering commisioning a graphic designer for some time to produce a Durham Cathedral logo in the style of the 'le randonneur' logo, perhaps with 'Dunelm' written below. I'm not 100% certain whether I would go through with it but feel free to PM me with any thoughts. We are near Chester-le-Street by the way.
Geoff.
Well Geoff, I was responsible for the graphics on your fire engines uptill I semi retired and sold my business in 2001. I did them for over 15 years along with Durham Police and Ambulance. Ch Le St cricket club signs and hordings were also my fault. As it happens I have an outline of the said Cathedral so If you are brave why not.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have almost finished vinyl wrapping my van. The difference it makes is incredible. That in combination with respraying the black plastic makes all the difference.

I am looking at getting an old Hymer 544 next year and I will more than likely vinyl wrap the white bits to freshen it up. Much quicker and cheaper than a respray..
You have an interesting task, wrapping. This has a fantastic effect but not the easiest way to change a colour. I did a Smart car before Christmas, it belonged to a hairdresser and was red/silver. It finished up a very bright pink, her choice.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
have you any photos of work completed please
Sorry Chris, I stopped taking photos many years ago. After signwriting over 24,000 vehicles since 1980 my albums were taking up the house. I prefer to sit with the customer and come up with there unique idea and have it original. The biggest problem is the male and female species agreeing to differ over colours. When car stripes first came out in the early 80's it wan't strange for me to do two sides of a vehicle in different colours, his and her's.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Willjoy
A very informative post. I have often wondered why more people don't re-pait, redesighn there vans.

Roughly how much does it cost if say I was one of the 11 that you have done?

who does the design work?

There must be loads of older motorhomes out there that would really be brought back to life with a graphics change and a reupholster.:thumb:
A straight forward regraphic is usually around £250 to £300. If the graphics are full colour that is when the costs start to rise, dramatically. I normally ask for all existing graphics to be removed and a good machine polish to freshen all the paintwork up. It's pointless giving the van a makeover and neglecting the paint.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Ok Gromett where can I get a vinyl wrap and graphics done for £60 ::bigsmile: Did mine last yr £35 paint/thinners £5 masking tape and £20 for a drink to graphics:winky: man
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I tried doing the el-cheapo paint job and failed miserably.....

The vinyl wrap was DIY also and cost me around £200, Might be able to do it cheaper than that as I cocked a few panels up as I was teaching myself how to do it using youtube videos :ROFLMAO:

The finish is excellent where it went well :thumb:. I get better on each panel I do.
It almost makes the van look brand new...

Link Removed for a full list of colours.
I used the gloss white.
Link Removed

For the large panels I would recommend two people. Doing it solo is a friggin nightmare...

resized-P9140001.jpg

resized-P9140002.jpg

resized-P9140003.jpg

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I tried doing the el-cheapo paint job and failed miserably.....

The vinyl wrap was DIY also and cost me around £200, Might be able to do it cheaper than that as I cocked a few panels up as I was teaching myself how to do it using youtube videos :ROFLMAO:

The finish is excellent where it went well :thumb:. I get better on each panel I do.
It almost makes the van look brand new...

Link Removed for a full list of colours.
I used the gloss white.
Link Removed

For the large panels I would recommend two people. Doing it solo is a friggin nightmare...

resized-P9140001.jpg

resized-P9140002.jpg

resized-P9140003.jpg
Looks fine to me. I've seen some real horrors over the years. Two is always better and you can concentrate on the application.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damnit. Beautiful weather.. I could be finishing off the van...
Left the wrap at mothers while she is away so can't get to it :Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Gromett what is it like for sticking around the edges ?Also how long is it guaranteed not to loose colour/fade ? --looking good :thumb:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sticks no problem if you prepare it properly and apply it properly. Not hard to do...

It depends on which wrap you buy on how long it lasts. The longer lasting ones are harder to remove as I understand it...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back