Motorhomes for Winter use - share your experience (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
even today them S820's look brilliant.

Winterisation was brilliant which I suppose is what the OP is after, 3 big solars, 6v batteries, underslung genny, never needed EHU.
Wish the engine had been more powerful though 156bhp not enough for 8.33 metres 6.4 tonne.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My Hymer has a fan which takes air from the first step, under the floor to the front of the van via a heating radiator. Have Hymer dropped this or was it an obscure optional extra. We only found it by chance, the two speed switch is next to some other switches not mentioned in the hand book. Why do they bother printing the book, I know how to open the lockers.
Same as on my Hymer. AFAIK it was fitted as part of the optional Alde Arktis pack

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
I have wondered about that. A combination of where to get the parts and concern about invalidating the warranty have held me back so far. I’ll think about it through the summer.

St Anton is great skiing, some good off piste too, so that looks a possibility

Thanks for the advice
Or install a diesel heater and put the outlets where you want serious heating :) Parts for this or just adding a new outlet to existing from ie butlertechnic, eBay or a local supplier. Warranty? They must prove your install is the root cause for an eventual issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This maybe controversial, but we manage just fine in our Swift Sundance :D
(ps inside the van is set to a toast 22 degrees!)
longleat snow.jpg

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
I feel I need to clarify something: my hymer Exsis-I also has a huge, heated garage from the factory, but quickly drying clothes in the heated garage is not very efficient.

The outlet for the garage is at the end of one of the four strings from the Truma, so not a lot of heat going that direction.

Also, it’s very impractical to undress four people down to the undies and then exit the vehicle when minus 20C to hang everything inside the garage (no access from inside).

Also, sometimes it snows sideways, and keeping the garage door open for any amount of time will require some serious snow shuffeling inside the garage.

Finally, the moist air has almost nowhere really to go, when drying a lot of clothes, skis, Snowboards, wool undergarments, gloves, helmets etc. in the garage.

But now, with one adjustable Webasto hot air outlet in both cupboards, we can dry off all clothes for four people in an hour or two. When very moist, We open either the sky roof window or one or more side windows. The Webasto easily keeps up (even having sky roof open during some nights at -25C to get a lot of fresh air into the MH.)

Last bit of Webasto tuning now is to see if it’s possible to get a “leaking hose”-outlet along the complete width of the front window, to remedy the moisture gathering there because of the combination of very hot, moist air being cooled quickly because of the huge temperature difference and the lack of air movement.

It’s actually a lot better now with the Webasto than before when only using the Truma. A lot more moisture gathered at the front window before.

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Danielford - do you have more info on your van?
Sure, it's a very heavily modified 2011 Swift Sundance 630L. So very basically the base van gives you a u-shaped lounge to the rear which converts to a kingsize bed at night, an over cab double, which is our 9 year old daughters bedroom, and a forward dinette.
We chose the van because of the ample work surfaces in the kitchen area to prepare food, lots of storage, good payload (4,005 kg MPLTM) in current spec we have about 500kg payload spare.
The blown air heating is perfectly adequate, BUT, you do have to correct the poor build quality from swift. Things I have done, is to fill the gaps between habitation floor and cab, there was a gaping hold either side of the cab. Where the pipes come in through the floor they needed sealing to prevent draughts. I have lagged all the external pipework (very cheap to do, think materials cost me £10). Also when we initially got the van, the ducting kept falling off of the outlets, this was corrected using duct tape.
Our tanks are fitted with heaters, but in severe weather they probably won't be up to the job, so make sure you have water bottles inside. In that picture the external temp was -6, and the tanks did not freeze, but I think the heaters are only rated to -5!
Our mods so far:
1800kva inverter
4 leisure batteries
150w Solar panel (it wasn't providing much power in the picture! :D )
Habitation aircon unit (which can also heat)
Vanbitz strikeback growler alarm
Snipe 2 Satellite system
12v Cello TV
Wired ethernet and 4G broadband router

I have upgraded the reversing camera, and put a 7" monitor on the dash, and installed a bluetooth headunit so that the passengers can play music from the rear whilst we are in transit! :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks, DanielFord! :) What type of air heater? Truma?
Yes, I couldn't tell you the model, but it's the one where you have a sort of fire attached to the wall, it is incredibly simple to use, unlike other systems.
The only photo I could find with the heater in shot, was one I sent to my wife to demonstrate the critical wine situation that we had at the time :D
IMG_0474.JPG

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I couldn't tell you the model, but it's the one where you have a sort of fire attached to the wall, it is incredibly simple to use, unlike other systems.
The only photo I could find with the heater in shot, was one I sent to my wife to demonstrate the critical wine situation that we had at the time :D
My god, I hope you got the situation sorted o_O

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
FE281492-ED9C-49AD-8DC1-F264907295BB.jpeg
Model:Bailey Approach 740
Owned 3 years
Heating system onboard : Alde 3020 compact
Isolated grey water : No
Isolated fresh water : Yes and fitted with Tank heater
Undercarriage construction: single floored
Rust problems chassis : none Alko
Felt effect of heating system onboard : yes comfortable 21c
Felt effect of heating in cab area : cooler but not uncomfortable
Opinion of insulation in MH : average could be improved with some modifications
Clothes / shoe drying capabilities: Radiator in bathroom very warm
Moisture issues : none to speak about
Floor comfort : reasonable as Alde heating / vents under front mezzanine floor
Battery system: 2 x 110amp Banner batterys
Solar panels 200 Watts
How many days cold camping without EHU : none
How many days cold camping with EHU : 3
Weight distribution front / back ?
230 v power needs when hooked up 6amp minimum
Propulsion: FWD
Winter road traction : Michelin Agilis M+S ok in snow
Location Bargrennan December 2017
Outside temperature. - 12 c
No issues with fresh water freezing as tank heater effective
Grey water tank froze up

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Hope this thread can help, my Hymer, according to the handbook, has a diesel powered heater which MUST be used once a month. I have found the switch and in cold weather I think it comes on, but only when the engine is running so the heating works anyway. Does anyone out know? Its a 516 Sprinter about 2014.

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Hope this thread can help, my Hymer, according to the handbook, has a diesel powered heater which MUST be used once a month. I have found the switch and in cold weather I think it comes on, but only when the engine is running so the heating works anyway. Does anyone out know? Its a 516 Sprinter about 2014.
What is it you’re asking?

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/mercedes-sprinter-pre-heater.144395/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Model:Bailey Approach 740
Owned 3 years
Heating system onboard : Alde 3020 compact
Isolated grey water : No
Isolated fresh water : Yes and fitted with Tank heater
Undercarriage construction: single floored
Rust problems chassis : none Alko
Felt effect of heating system onboard : yes comfortable 21c
Felt effect of heating in cab area : cooler but not uncomfortable
Opinion of insulation in MH : average could be improved with some modifications
Clothes / shoe drying capabilities: Radiator in bathroom very warm
Moisture issues : none to speak about
Floor comfort : reasonable as Alde heating / vents under front mezzanine floor
Battery system: 2 x 110amp Banner batterys
Solar panels 200 Watts
How many days cold camping without EHU : none
How many days cold camping with EHU : 3
Weight distribution front / back ?
230 v power needs when hooked up 6amp minimum
Propulsion: FWD
Winter road traction : Michelin Agilis M+S ok in snow
Location Bargrennan December 2017
Outside temperature. - 12 c
No issues with fresh water freezing as tank heater effective
Grey water tank froze up
Thanks, Neil S :) What mods would you have done? Did the ALDE Heating have any issues?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

That system is designed for cold weather when it just heats the engine much quicker, not as good as the units where you can use them independently of the vehicle engine.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Thanks, Neil S :) What mods would you have done? Did the ALDE Heating have any issues?
The Alde heating performed without any issues , as for modifications I have thought about making some thermally insulated inserts to fit up inside the Heiki roof vents and the front opening sunroof as there is a fair amount of heat loss through these .
I have considered fitting a tank heater in the waste tank as well as further insulating the cab by using internal thermal windscreen and side window covers as well as the external silverscreens .
Only problem with using tank heaters in both the fresh and waste is the amount of battery power required so main hookup is really a necessity.
I did measure the temperature of the fresh water in the tank using digital thermometer after having the tank heater on all night and it was + 4 when outside it was - 12c

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Sure, it's a very heavily modified 2011 Swift Sundance 630L. So very basically the base van gives you a u-shaped lounge to the rear which converts to a kingsize bed at night, an over cab double, which is our 9 year old daughters bedroom, and a forward dinette.
We chose the van because of the ample work surfaces in the kitchen area to prepare food, lots of storage, good payload (4,005 kg MPLTM) in current spec we have about 500kg payload spare.
The blown air heating is perfectly adequate, BUT, you do have to correct the poor build quality from swift. Things I have done, is to fill the gaps between habitation floor and cab, there was a gaping hold either side of the cab. Where the pipes come in through the floor they needed sealing to prevent draughts. I have lagged all the external pipework (very cheap to do, think materials cost me £10). Also when we initially got the van, the ducting kept falling off of the outlets, this was corrected using duct tape.
Our tanks are fitted with heaters, but in severe weather they probably won't be up to the job, so make sure you have water bottles inside. In that picture the external temp was -6, and the tanks did not freeze, but I think the heaters are only rated to -5!
Our mods so far:
1800kva inverter
4 leisure batteries
150w Solar panel (it wasn't providing much power in the picture! :D )
Habitation aircon unit (which can also heat)
Vanbitz strikeback growler alarm
Snipe 2 Satellite system
12v Cello TV
Wired ethernet and 4G broadband router

I have upgraded the reversing camera, and put a 7" monitor on the dash, and installed a bluetooth headunit so that the passengers can play music from the rear whilst we are in transit! :D

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread but I would like to ask @DanielFord what make / model of reversing camera he fitted. I have been trying to find out what camera would fit neatly into the housing on our van shown in the photo.

Thanks.

Paul

camera.jpg

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread but I would like to ask @DanielFord what make / model of reversing camera he fitted. I have been trying to find out what camera would fit neatly into the housing on our van shown in the photo.

Thanks.

Paul

View attachment 223629
Yeah, I probably worded that badly, we still have the original camera installed, it is a perfectly good unit. What isn't so great is the mirror screen that Swift give you. I purchased a larger monitor, and fitted it to the dash. Easy job, it just plugs into the AV plugs in the video controller. I now get a good picture on the screen that is usable! :D

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I have written this before.

Euramobil 716HB on a Mercedes 6x4 Sprinter 416CDi Sprintshift. Norway, -27c no problems at all, Truma Gas only Blown air.. Double floor, wooden frame and outer floor (rotted due to poor retro fit second fresh water tank). Only sold as fed up of trying to fix Sprintshift from just 8000 miles.

Frankia Special Factory order 8400GDL on Mercedes Sprinter 6X4 V6 3 litre Manual. Aluminium framed coachbuild. Grossly unreliable chassis and not as good in snow as the 416 above due to lower chassis. Also had ALDE Heating which was a bloody nightmare. Even with Engine/Gas/Diesel/Electric heat system.

La Strada Nova M on 3 litre Mercedes Sprinter 5G-Tronic Automatic Standard Single Axle RWD. Never owned it long enough. Shocking build error from La Strada with regards to fridge venting into Hab area along with lots of draughts. Mercedes Sprinter Chassis was showing issues.

Hymer B644 on a 2000 Fiat Ducato Manual. So far, no issues. Quite heavy at the front end so traction good, but lacks the benefits of a heavily loaded Propulsion of the Mercedes. That said, not stuck in snow yet. But, performs as good as all the others at a fraction of the cost. No EGR vavles or DPFS to cause issues.

The Frankia cost me more in Repairs at Mercedes in 3 years than the Hymer cost me to buy.
I think you mean 6x2 ? unless it was two driven axles with one tag , or double drive rear end :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you have some photos of the buttons on the dash?
My diesel heater on my hymer doesn't need the engine running. It works off the leisure batteries.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you have some photos of the buttons on the dash?
My diesel heater on my hymer doesn't need the engine running. It works off the leisure batteries.

Yes there are 2 sorts, the one which works with the engine running when it goes wrong most owners don't even bother to get it repaired as it only warms the engine quicker in cold weather, so they decide its not worth it.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Yes there are 2 sorts, the one which works with the engine running when it goes wrong most owners don't even bother to get it repaired as it only warms the engine quicker in cold weather, so they decide its not worth it.
My Mercedes (2006) has this version -works well in cold weather heating the cab nice and fast. I did read another thread (I think it was @Techno ?)who said he had fitted a controller to enable it to work with the ignition off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back