Motorhomes for Winter use - share your experience (1 Viewer)

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

Could you please share your experience with using your motorhomes in winter climate? I can start with my experience :)

camper-picture-2502-13965.jpg

Model: Dethleffs Globe R A588 alcove Fiat based
Owned years: 5
Heating system onboard: Webasto Dualtop diesel air/water heater 6kw
Isolated grey water: no
Isolated fresh water: yes, inside hot zone below bunk
Undercarriage construction: Treated wood (not the best)
Rust problems chassis: Yes, Fiat original chassis needs protection
Felt effect of heating system onboard: Very good (works well even below -25C)
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: Medium. One webasto outlet in front
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: Well insulated
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: Yes, from original possible to dry clothes / shoes in cupboard. Very good!
Moisture issues: Only front window - a lot of moisture inside.
Air ventilation MH construction comments: Very good. Air gaps everywhere, and spacers around and under mattresses.
Floor comfort: Not insulated and very cold
Battery system: 2x95 Ah wet lead acid cheap batteries
How many days cold camping without power hookup: 2-3
230v power needs when hooked up: Very low, about 60-100 watts
Weight distribution front/back: 40/60 - a bit heavy in the rear
Propulsion: front wheel drive, no ESP.
Opinion about winter roads traction: A bit too heavy rear, but in general little problems during clever (planned ahead) winter driving. Only used chains once during 5 years - and only for fun.

dvfdv.jpg

Model: Hymer Exsis-I 588 2015
Owned years: 1
Heating system onboard: Original: Truma Combi 6 EH 6kw, 2kw electric and 4 kw gas. Added: Webasto Airtop EVO 40 diesel air heater, with several outlets around the vehicle.
Isolated grey water: Yes (heated by truma+webasto)
Isolated fresh water: Yes (heated by truma+webasto)
Undercarriage construction: Plastic, no wood :)
Rust problems chassis: No, alko chassis, "rust free". Very good.
Felt effect of heating system onboard: Very very good. Webasto primary heat source, Truma used for hot water and as a backup - providing a total of 10kw available heating. Webasto keeps the MH comfortable easily down to -30C and probaly even colder.
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: Quite ok, but could have been a little bit better.
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: Very good insulated, except front window.
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: Not from factory, but added webasto with outlets in 2 cupboards. Now excellent drying capabilities.
Moisture issues: A bit more sensitive to airing than the previous Dethleffs, but mostly also affected by front window.
Air ventilation MH construction comments: Excellent. Gaps everywhere.
Floor comfort: When on EHU: electric floor heating. Otherwise well insulated, floor mats. Good comfort.
Battery system: 2x100 ah cheap wet lead acid. Works good!
How many days cold camping without power hookup: If no sun; 3 days. If a bit of charging: unlimited (due to 800w of solar)
230v power needs when hooked up: Either very little (30 watts), or 900w if Truma is run on halv electrical effect, or 2000w if Truma is set to use full electric effect.
Weight distribution front/back: 50/50 - very good :)
Propulsion: front wheel drive with ESP - good, but would love 4x4. Guess rear wheel drive / double wheels is even better for propulsion.
Opinion about winter roads traction: quite good for front wheel drive because of good weight distribution. Used chains once, but mostly because of narrow roads and the possibility to have to stop in a steeper hill.

Please share your experience :)
Model:
Owned years:
Heating system onboard:
Isolated grey water:
Isolated fresh water:
Undercarriage construction:
Rust problems chassis:
Felt effect of heating system onboard:
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle:
Opinion about general insulation of the MH:
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities:
Moisture issues:
Air ventilation MH construction comments:
Floor comfort:
Battery system:
How many days cold camping without power hookup:
230v power needs when hooked up:
Weight distribution front/back:
Propulsion:
Opinion about winter roads traction:

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Think you answered the question buy German, from a Dethleffs owner, twice over.

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Think you answered the question buy German, from a Dethleffs owner, twice over.
I know these motorhomes work well for winter camping. But it would be just as good to know how motorhomes from other producers work in the cold/snow. Ie Pla Plasy, chausson, concorde etc. It will help me and probably others who enjoy winter camping when deciding what to buy next :) Anyone with the sprinter based hymer 4x4?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Usually go where it's warmer in winter, to save on heating.

If you go where there's snow, take a look around to see what vehicles the others are using (and judge by the contentment of the occupants).

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Usually go where it's warmer in winter, to save on heating.

If you go where there's snow, take a look around to see what vehicles the others are using (and judge by the contentment of the occupants).

To me it seems you didn't fully catch my point :) I fully understand that some seek hotter climate during winter season. I seek the mountains and snow during winter, and also, most of Norway has snowy / freezing conditions during the winter season. Our family loves to go skiing, snowboarding, cross country etc. I'm seeking information from others with winter experience, as it would help me and others like me to get opinions on different options, features and construction of vehicles regarding winter use.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sorry if that sounded flippant.
My German vans have always kept us 'toasty' when it's been cold. If a van's been built in a region where skiing is popular, there's a good chance that it'll cope with that kind of climate. I know someone who's taken their Bongo van for winter sport, but I'd not recommend it for 'normal' people.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Never understand why they don't fit heat recovery systems in motorhomes. A small fan sucking the air out which then goes through a heat exchanger and heats incoming cold air.
This would reduce moisture in the air considerably,

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Never understand why they don't fit heat recovery systems in motorhomes. A small fan sucking the air out which then goes through a heat exchanger and heats incoming cold air.
This would reduce moisture in the air considerably,
It probably would. But still: using stale, hot air to heat -25C incoming air is still very inefficient, except for moisture removal. And probably a bit complicated unit, adds weight etc. I would be tempted to claim that most motorhomes are not really designed for optimal, off grid winter climate. My current hymer is cleverly designed and well insulated but it would probably have had somewhere to dry off clothes, and maybe even a diesel heater from the factory if it was really designed for hard core winter use.

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry if that sounded flippant.
My German vans have always kept us 'toasty' when it's been cold. If a van's been built in a region where skiing is popular, there's a good chance that it'll cope with that kind of climate. I know someone who's taken their Bongo van for winter sport, but I'd not recommend it for 'normal' people.
Thanks :) I have the same experience so far. But even so, there are quite big differences between the different German vans regarding heating systems, off grid capability, winter traction, moisture, comfort etc.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having been custodian of more motorhomes than cars over the last 50 or so years, without any shadow of doubt the best winterised motorhomes I have evr had were the two RMBs. Both had very thick walls, Alde water heating with underfloor and engine heat recovery, Aberspacher diesel heaters for backup. Double skinned floors, inboard waste and fresh water tanks, double glazed cab side windows, heat reflective roll down front blinds, rear wheel drive with electric diff lock. Custom built to a standard, not a price. Even the RMB trailer I had was better insulated than many modern motorhomes, and that was just to keep the car cosy.

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Having been custodian of more motorhomes than cars over the last 50 or so years, without any shadow of doubt the best winterised motorhomes I have evr had were the two RMBs. Both had very thick walls, Alde water heating with underfloor and engine heat recovery, Aberspacher diesel heaters for backup. Double skinned floors, inboard waste and fresh water tanks, double glazed cab side windows, heat reflective roll down front blinds, rear wheel drive with electric diff lock. Custom built to a standard, not a price. Even the RMB trailer I had was better insulated than many modern motorhomes, and that was just to keep the car cosy.
Sounds great! :) Do you have any pictures? Never seen / heard of RMB in Norway :)

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
My Hymer has a fan which takes air from the first step, under the floor to the front of the van via a heating radiator. Have Hymer dropped this or was it an obscure optional extra. We only found it by chance, the two speed switch is next to some other switches not mentioned in the hand book. Why do they bother printing the book, I know how to open the lockers.

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
My Hymer has a fan which takes air from the first step, under the floor to the front of the van via a heating radiator. Have Hymer dropped this or was it an obscure optional extra. We only found it by chance, the two speed switch is next to some other switches not mentioned in the hand book. Why do they bother printing the book, I know how to open the lockers.
Do you have a picture? My Hymer has an electric heat exchanger fan which circulates hot engine coolant to get heating from the engine into the habitation area, but I never use it. It's situated under the passenger seat, and just pulls air from the front of the seat, heats it, and pushes it out backwards in the vehicle. In my experience Fiat's original heater is generally enough while driving.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Please share your experience :)
Model: CI CARRIOCA 5 c class 2003 (C Class)
Owned years: 3
Heating system onboard: Blown air and gas fire
Isolated fresh water: yes
Undercarriage construction: single floor
Rust problems chassis: none alko
Felt effect of heating system onboard: yes toasty warm
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: freezing cold
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: amazing for such a cheap van
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: none
Moisture issues: loads
Air ventilation MH construction comments: italian drop rates
Floor comfort: carpet
Battery system: 2 x 85 amp
How many days cold camping without power hookup: 1 , I had kids with laptops phones x boxes...
230v power needs when hooked up: as much as possible
Weight distribution front/back: god knows
Propulsion: 2-0L front wheel drive fiat
Opinion about winter roads traction: good as only a light van, used chains once to get on a site in 3 ski trips...
additional Info... van froze, all pipe work froze waste and fresh. but van was chap and great for a struggling family.

Pralognan 2007

CI Snow.JPG

Model: Adria 670 sk 2005 (C Class)
Owned years: 3
Heating system onboard: Blown air
Isolated grey water: no but heated
Undercarriage construction: alko
Rust problems chassis: never
Felt effect of heating system onboard: warm and dandy
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: cold in the front cab, it was C class
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: excellent
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: in a heated garage, small but adequate
Moisture issues: none
Air ventilation MH construction comments: good.
Floor comfort: carpet
Battery system: 2 x 85 amp
How many days cold camping without power hookup: 2 but again kids with laptops
230v power needs when hooked up: as much as
Weight distribution front/back: who knows
Propulsion: Fiat 2.8 jtd
Opinion about winter roads traction: used chains once, traction is only as good as the tyres.

adria ski 2.JPG
adria inside.JPG

Model: Bessacar 765 2007 (C class)
Owned years: 4
Heating system onboard: blown air
Undercarriage construction: alko single floor
Rust problems chassis: none
Felt effect of heating system onboard: warm and toasty especially in bed
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: no freezing despite adding additional insulation
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: poor due to above used a lot of gas
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: under the bed was amazing should have lived under there
Moisture issues: serious issues
Air ventilation MH construction comments: very poor for winter but a beautiful van outside of it.
Floor comfort: carpet, but wet through and rotten
Battery system: 4x 110s B2B charger
How many days cold camping without power hookup: as long as I wanted
230v power needs when hooked up:
Weight distribution front/back: low at the front
Propulsion: 2.3 fiat front wheel drive
Opinion about winter roads traction: was OK, again always went with good tyres.

Val Thorens 2014 ish
bessie snow.JPG

Model: Rapido 996M 2009 aclass
Owned years: 2.5
Heating system onboard: blown air
Undercarriage construction: Mercedes false double floor
Rust problems chassis: minor
Felt effect of heating system onboard: yep
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: better than C lass but still not great
Opinion about general insulation of the MH:
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: had a heated ski locker
Air ventilation MH construction comments: very good
Floor comfort: horrid
Battery system: as above
How many days cold camping without power hookup: as many as I liked, kids grew up
230v power needs when hooked up: 6 amp
Weight distribution front/back: no idea
Propulsion: Rear wheel drive Mercedes, say no more.
Opinion about winter roads traction: awesome traction but had to be gentle on the power, the V6 3-0 auto was a beast,,

Livigno 2017
rapido snow.jpg

Model: Niesman and Bishoff 79Le (2012) A class
Owned years: 3 months so far
Heating system onboard: Alde
Isolated grey water: yes heated between the floors
Isolated fresh water: yes heated between the floors
Undercarriage construction: alko true double floor
Rust problems chassis: none so far
Felt effect of heating system onboard: amazing, like a sauna
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: amazing like a sauna due to double glazed cab and thermo blind.
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: amazing
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: large heated garage
Air ventilation MH construction comments: plenty
Floor comfort: very comfy
Battery system: 2 x 110s B2B charger
How many days cold camping without power hookup: as many as I wanted
230v power needs when hooked up: only tried on 10 amp
Weight distribution front/back: tag axle rear end
Propulsion: FWD
Opinion about winter roads traction: had new snow tyres on this year so the trip was well managed, no chains despite others needing them.

ST Anton Austria 2018

n&b snow.jpg

OP
OP
Urs4_2008

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks a lot, Haganap! :) :) Great write up! Excellent comments!
What kind of different heating systems did you have? And which is the best in your opinion?

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sounds great! :) Do you have any pictures? Never seen / heard of RMB in Norway :)

One piece body shell with no joints to leak. The fist photo is the 670 on the Merc 410 chassis and the second is the 7.5 ton 760 on the Merc 814 chassis. The trailer is a one off built by RMB on a Fitzel kneeling trailer.
Rhine tour 039.JPG
La Torreta 001.JPG

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks a lot, Haganap! :) :) Great write up! Excellent comments!
What kind of different heating systems did you have? And which is the best in your opinion?

well 3 really, blown air with a gas fire in the first van which was good, then 3 lots of blown air/ electric with hot water system from truma 4e and now of course the Alde system. I think they all have their benefits tbh. The alde is great in our current van because the heat escape is minimal meaning for 2.5 weeks of sub zero temps we used 33L of gas. However, if you put that same system in the other vans it would have been an awful lot more. But I do like the blown air and being able to give a good blast before getting up to toast the van. The Alde works like at home with timers and allsorts. I do like the idea of a webasto diesel heater for convenience like you have but do find them quite noisey on the ones I've seen in action in -10 temps. The picture of the bessacar was at Val Thorens when I was there with fellow funsters @jaygee @champers and a few others and the temps hit as low as -25 at night!!!

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We have had a second hand 2014 Elddis Majestic 115 since June 2017. This is our first foray in to mortorhoming and we love it, so we bought a cheaper van to test the water. Can't really compete with the above contributors, but we have used it every month, including during two periods of snow, and another few days of -5 or more. Since buying we have been away for about 3 months in total.

It has taken a while to get the hang of the blown air which is pretty basic. You have to turn it down because it gets too hot, and then back up again because it has cooled down too much. The front cab area was getting very cold, partly because the heating air inlet is there and also because of ventilation holes under the seats. We blocked the ventilation holes temprarily (!!) and bought a silver screen. This has improved it such that we can sit there happily enough, partucularly if we put our feet upto avoid the inlet draft!

Although we haven't been in the Apls it has been well below zero a lot from December onwards and we have been comfortable enough. Drying hasn't been too bad, although we got soaked on a walk one day and that was a pain. The only real problem was that the water inlet pipe froze so that we couldn't get water from the tank (which has a frost setting). Once we warmed the van up that thawed and all was OK.

We will keep the Elddis for another couple of years and then upgrade so we can treat it as a second home (maybe even go full time for a while) and it skiing and go to Scandianvia. I always buy German cars and no doubt will go down a similar route, although I like the look of the Pilotes and Moblivettas too. That said given the reputation of Elddis and Marquis, we have been very pleasantly surprised by both and feel they have provided an excellent introduction to motorhoming.

What are the huts next to your very nice Niesman and Bishoff in the picture?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
One piece body shell with no joints to leak. The fist photo is the 670 on the Merc 410 chassis and the second is the 7.5 ton 760 on the Merc 814 chassis. The trailer is a one off built by RMB on a Fitzel kneeling trailer.
View attachment 223433 View attachment 223434

loved these two vans Dave.. top quality bits of kit but used to love the matching trailer!!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
What are the huts next to your very nice Niesman and Bishoff in the picture?

Austrian's know how to winter camp and if you have the budget they make it a pleasant experience. The huts are toilet/shower/come drying washing up rooms. You can park right next to them and give yourself the extra space. Not cheap but having gone with very little money in the early days stopping on aire's with the kids and nothing but a generator we are very fortunate enough to spoil ourselves a little more these days. Think the cost of site and huts with piped in heating was about £65 per night (including a whopping 10e per night for 2 dogs)... but that was balanced by stopping in Montgeneve aire with electric for 10e a night.

Incidently, don't know how you are at DIY etc but when I had a similar problem of being cold in the cab I added an extra blown air duct in to the cab. Made a big difference. When we had our brit van we had to shower in to a IKEA blue bag as the pipe outlets would freeze... ha ha, happy days.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
To give a little thought into what goes into the build of an RMB. The hob in the 670 was a Cramer induction hob with no naked flame in the van. The hob was exhausted via pipework through the wardrobe and onto the roof. This meant that the wardrobe and cupboard above was just like an airing cupboard. This was all in a van that was built almost 30 years ago. Nothing on the planet comes anywhere near them, but sadly no one could afford to buy a new one nowadays and that is why they are no longer built. The name is owned by Frankia now, and they will build you one, but they are not a true RMB, just a more expensive Frankia.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Model: Niesman and Bischoff Flair 8000 (2006) A class
Owned years: 6 years
Heating system onboard: Alde
Isolated grey water: yes heated between the floors
Isolated fresh water: yes heated between the floors
Undercarriage construction: Standard IVECO ladder chassis double floor with boiler and heating.
Rust problems chassis: no problems but maintained with waxoyl.
Felt effect of heating system onboard: ALDE dual gas/electric well controlled stable controlled heat and heat exchanger for driving, lovely jubely.
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: double glazed cab side widows and thermal aluminium roller blind, radiators at side keep the front warm and two 80watt tube heaters between roller blind and glass stop any misting (240v only and non standard)
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: amazing.
Clothes/shoe drying capabilities: large heated garage.
Moisture issues: powered fan in kitchen when cooking.
Air ventilation MH construction comments: ventilation by extractor fan in kitchen and bedroom windows open at night (yes even at -11)
Floor comfort: floor carpeted but underfloor space heated so OK but full ALDE underfloor would be better(y) next time;)
Battery system: 4 x 80ah GEL's 320watt solar battery master for starter and EFOY for emergencies.
How many days cold camping without power hookup: only used down to -11 so hardly counts.
Weight distribution front/back: two axle twin rear wheels, 6000kg gross split 1/3 2/3
Propulsion: RWD Twin wheels diff lock(y)
Opinion about winter roads traction: from the little I have done I would say excellent with 4 season tyres.

IMG_1225.jpg

Martin

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have written this before.

Euramobil 716HB on a Mercedes 6x4 Sprinter 416CDi Sprintshift. Norway, -27c no problems at all, Truma Gas only Blown air.. Double floor, wooden frame and outer floor (rotted due to poor retro fit second fresh water tank). Only sold as fed up of trying to fix Sprintshift from just 8000 miles.

Frankia Special Factory order 8400GDL on Mercedes Sprinter 6X4 V6 3 litre Manual. Aluminium framed coachbuild. Grossly unreliable chassis and not as good in snow as the 416 above due to lower chassis. Also had ALDE Heating which was a bloody nightmare. Even with Engine/Gas/Diesel/Electric heat system.

La Strada Nova M on 3 litre Mercedes Sprinter 5G-Tronic Automatic Standard Single Axle RWD. Never owned it long enough. Shocking build error from La Strada with regards to fridge venting into Hab area along with lots of draughts. Mercedes Sprinter Chassis was showing issues.

Hymer B644 on a 2000 Fiat Ducato Manual. So far, no issues. Quite heavy at the front end so traction good, but lacks the benefits of a heavily loaded Propulsion of the Mercedes. That said, not stuck in snow yet. But, performs as good as all the others at a fraction of the cost. No EGR vavles or DPFS to cause issues.

The Frankia cost me more in Repairs at Mercedes in 3 years than the Hymer cost me to buy.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Incidently, don't know how you are at DIY etc but when I had a similar problem of being cold in the cab I added an extra blown air duct in to the cab. Made a big difference.

I have wondered about that. A combination of where to get the parts and concern about invalidating the warranty have held me back so far. I’ll think about it through the summer.

St Anton is great skiing, some good off piste too, so that looks a possibility

Thanks for the advice

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

Just to show it can be done, we full time in our Swift motorhome and have not been cold at all even when its been very chilly outside. We have only been in Norfolk during the winter so not really, really cold but we have been fine using just the electric fire. When tried the blown air heating has not been much good as the hot air pipes go outside the van at some point.

Our van doesn't have a double floor etc, I don't think British vans do, but its well insulated and has been fine.

Paul

IMG_20180303_090117.jpg

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi

Just to show it can be done, we full time in our Swift motorhome and have not been cold at all even when its been very chilly outside. We have only been in Norfolk during the winter so not really, really cold but we have been fine using just the electric fire. When tried the blown air heating has not been much good as the hot air pipes go outside the van at some point.

Our van doesn't have a double floor etc, I don't think British vans do, but its well insulated and has been fine.

Paul

View attachment 223456

I rest my case, they just do not learn... Judging by your profile pic yours is newer than our 2007 was and is no better. Not saying we didn't love our Bessie, we did, but the build for winter or in our case skiing was a joke.
And to be fair,even a cold Norfolk isn't going to give much of a comparison even with the beast from the east.

Incidentally don't know if you have one but we found the hinderberg (i think thats the name) silver screen cover that covers the whole of the front of the van, from cab to floor very useful in keeping the cab warm.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Model: Hymer B660 Classic
Owned years: 5 years
Heating system onboard: Truma blown air
Isolated grey water: Underfloor but heated from the Truma
Isolated fresh water: yes inside under bench seat
Undercarriage construction: Timber underfloor no issues because checked regularly but older Hymers very prone to issues if not looked after.
Rust problems chassis: no problems but maintained with waxoyl from new.
Felt effect of heating system onboard: Truma blown air veery quick to heat whole van
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: Single glazed cab side widows but with silver screens on very warm
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: Very good.
Moisture issues: fan in kitchen when cooking. Leak into garage which was very hard to cure.
Air ventilation MH construction comments:
Floor comfort: floor carpeted but single floor very cold without carpet
Battery system: x2 Rolls Surrette 225AH 6 Volt batteries, one word for them, BRILLIANT.
How many days cold camping without power hookup: used down to -17, very good but floor was very cold so need a good carpet.
Propulsion: RWD Mercedes rear wheel drive, 4150kg gross
Opinion about winter roads traction: Useless with conti vanco summer tyres, great with conti vanco winter2 tyres
Aasee 024.JPG

Model: Hymer S820
Owned years: 3 years
Heating system onboard: Truma blown air, Truma Aquatherm wet underfloor, diesel heater front cab
Isolated grey water: Underfloor but heated from the Truma
Isolated fresh water: yes inside garage
Undercarriage construction: Timber underfloor no issues because checked regularly but older Hymers very prone to issues if not looked after.
Rust problems chassis: no problems but maintained with waxoyl.
Felt effect of heating system onboard: Truma blown air very quick to heat whole van, Aquatherm wet system much slower but a nice heated floor, front diesel heater very good, heated engine.
Felt effect of heating in front part of vehicle: Double glazed cab side widows which one side had blown, would have cost £1500 to replace so didn't do it, still passed MOT. Give me single glazed cab side windows anyday.
Opinion about general insulation of the MH: Very good.
Moisture issues: fan in kitchen when cooking. No issues
Air ventilation MH construction comments: very good
Floor comfort: Very good with Truma Aquatherm wet system but took ages to get going, thank heavens for the blown air.
Battery system: Transferred over from B660 Classic x2 Rolls Surrette 225AH 6 Volt batteries, one word for them, BRILLIANT.
How many days cold camping without power hookup: used down to -15, excellent. Dometic tec underslung generator so never needed hook up.
Propulsion: RWD Mercedes rear wheel drive, 6400kg gross, Merc 2.7 156 bhp engine good on flat and downhill but very underpowered on inclines/hills.
Opinion about winter roads traction: Excellent with Toyo h09 winters and bridgestone blizzak winters on rear.
S-Class 014.jpg

Murvi Morello van conversion 2.8 jtd
I,ll be quick on this one, fresh inside so good, waste underslung, not heated or insulated.
Insulation, cheap 2 bit loft insulation crap
Heating Eberspacher system heated hot water on the move with engine heat, good system but a bit noisy and used 17 amps just to start up, no good for any length of time off EHU, even with 3 batteries fitted(why didn't I get the Rolls Surrette 6 volts transferred over doh(but not enough space to do so)
Fiat 2.8jtd front wheel drive, adequate with winter tyres.

Concorde Concerto 2005 Iveco 3 litre, not got it yet so can't comment.
CONCORDE 640G 2005.jpg

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Best van we had for winterisation was a Rapido 7090. It had a double floor with both tanks between the floors, and a gas / electric heating system. with air into the floor gap. We used it on a norway tour to the top! It was very good, and because we had refillable gas we could keep ourselves very warm.

Later for various reasons we downsized to a van conversion - an Autosleeper warwick XL with the winter pack - which certainly keeps the inside warm enough in -10 degrees, but has underslung tanks. They have tank heater blankets which do work but are quite a drain electrically so in really cold weather you need mains.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back