Motorhomes are not just for holidays (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Thank goodness i have a MH---

Builders are taking over my house for a week for internal alterations.

Would have cost £££`s with kids and be bored relentless in a hotel:cry:
We can stay in the MH , spend a bit and travel around, good eh! :thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Van

I have taken mine to work before when I have done two really long shifts with minimum rest between - "home" in two minutes!

Great to use when doing the house up too, somewhere clean and quiet to retreat to when the house is in chaos etc.

Russell

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Great too for getting away from the IN-LAWS:winky:

I state " just going to check the MH" come back when they are gone!!!!::bigsmile:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We lost all electricity to the house recently.
While waiting for the supply company, fridge contents moved from house to van, kettle made ready etc.
8 hours later we had electricity again (and a big hole in the road), no real inconvenience, another tick for the van!:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When we had floods in my area, I was one of the lucky ones that didn't get affected. My motorhome was available as temporary accomodation for any of my (nicer) neighbours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
When we had ours and the boiler in the ouse packed up just after Christmas we used the MH for hot showers evey day until the boiler was fixed :thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have used ours for all the above reasons and especially when I moved offices,when working,for some time there was nowhere for me to go. So armed with a mobile phone and laptop I set up in the van on the local sea front. I even held meetings in it much to the surprise and interest of my colleagues. I was very disappointed when they finished my office!
I went on a training course and our 'wonderful', newly named HR Department omitted to book accommodation for me,so I took the van and at first parked in the car park of the venue where the course was. Whilst talking to a member of the staff about motorhomes,I was told of a farm site less than a mile from the course venue,it was out of season,but they were friends of my tipster and we did a deal on fees with hook up. I used the van on some subsequent courses,in fact iI usually met up with previous participants who asked me if I was in the van.
I had a very pleasant stay and the added bonus was I was reimbursed with site fees,fuel costs and meal costs AND it was cheaper than the accommodation they forgot to book for me!:thumb:
It also comes into its own when we are at scouting events as a secure location or on camps a nice 'bolthole' to go to and sometimes a 'first aid post' or communications centre. I also have used the van with other voluntary work as a control and information point.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Some great replies but just a note of caution. Many MH insurance policies do not cover business use (including commuting) so it is worth check if yours does before doing so.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ours is a second vehicle, my husband is in a car pool so I take the van to work occasionally if it is too wet or cold to ride the motorbike. Very handy in a power cut and very useful for parties to put the extra food and drinkies in. Also a spare bedroom for when the kids friends come to stay. ::bigsmile:

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Also useful if fallen out with wife! :ROFLMAO:

Wyn

Think storing the MH at our house would be rather threatening-never did fancy eviction!::cry::cry:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours will once again be providing accommodation for my club's service rifle team at Bisley this year!:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've used the fridge in the mh to put extra "Christmas" food in over the past few years. Also we get power cuts from time to time, so just go out and use the gas cooker when necessary:thumb:

Bill tends to keep a stash of beers in the fridge as well, I discovered this by accident recently:RollEyes: He snores dreadfully as well, so at least if things get too bad there is somewhere for me to escape to:thumb:
Margaret

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've used the fridge in the mh to put extra "Christmas" food in over the past few years. Also we get power cuts from time to time, so just go out and use the gas cooker when necessary:thumb:

[HI]Bill tends to keep a stash of beers in the fridge as well[/HI], I discovered this by accident recently:RollEyes: He snores dreadfully as well, so at least if things get too bad there is somewhere for me to escape to:thumb:
Margaret

That's what it's for isn't it? :roflmto:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We used our MH over Christmas and New year when our son was over from New Zealand, although it was cold out we were nice and toasty and the added bonus was when our 5 year old granddaughter was awake in the early hours due to jet lag we were oblivious in our own warm en-suit MH with tea only a few steps away. :thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
When our daughter and husband are here and we have other visitors too and house is full it is a fight between her and us ad to who stays in the van ! She and hubby usually win :cry: they love it , en suite , in room tea making and tv !! ::bigsmile:

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Home from home!

I do a weekly commute and stay in the van during the week. Far better than a hotel. It's home from home, making being away that bit easier. ::bigsmile:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I too lived in mine during the week while at work as home was 60 miles away on slow roads taking nearly 2 hours that and doing 12 hour plus days in a truck, the last thing you want is more driving

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back